What's new

Curiosity has me thinking about a straight....

I started SR shaving about 4 months ago. At first the SR shaves were a major production, easily taking 30-45 minutes. That was double to triple the time for my DE shaves. I had to get up earlier to dedicate the time needed.

But now, 4+ months in, it's 15 - 20 minutes from out of the shower to tidying up the sink. Perhaps a couple of minutes longer than my DE shaves, but so worth any minor delay. The alarm is back to it's "normal" time and I don't feel pressured for time in the mornings, despite using a straight.

Noobs shouldn't worry about the time it takes. But, as when learning anything new, do expect to allow more time while you are learning.

On the flip side... It's just so fun and satisfying, you may want to allocate more time for every shave no matter your proficiency!

I'll toss in my $.02. I can only speak from my experience. I used a DE for many years (lost track, maybe 5), and a straight almost exclusively since last April 2017. I can say I'm at least a few hundred straight shaves in.

My shaves with a straight last longer so I assume it's closer. This is apparent at the end of the day. When I first shave, no one is rubbing my face and in awe about how close my shave is. The only reaction I get is my wife rolling her eyes at best.

Switching to straights to achieve a closer shave is not worth it. The BEST part of using a straight is the routine/ritual. I LOVE taking my old Joseph Elliot (pre 1892) with original horn scales and stropping it on a fine leather strop while my lather warms up in a scuttle. I get a great shave and enjoy the journey. Honing your own razors brings another level of satisfaction. You created the fantastic edge that gave you that great shave. That's what it's about with straights.

There are some really good thoughts on this thread. For me it just boils down to the fact that I like shaving with a straight better than other types of razors.

Top Bottom