What's new

CrossFit?

So, I have recently moved closer to my homeland - Lafayette, Louisiana to be precise. I used to belong to the Rec Center when I lived in Wyoming but recently I noticed that there is a CrossFit box not too far from
my home.

So I am looking into maybe giving it a try. Though I have been weighing out the pros and cons.

The pros I think depend a lot the group dynamic. I go to gyms and usually when I do I feel like a douche because either I feel like I am doing something with bad form. Maybe it is just a self esteem thing.

Cons are mainly what I have read off the internet. Just about CrossFit not being very healthy, in particular on joints. I'd like to be able to pick my grandkids up when I reach 64.

To compound this: local area gym membership costs $59 a month. This includes using saunas, pools, weights, and other equipment. Local box is about $100 a month.

i am not looking to compete in any games. Just want a good workout to feel good and not feel like crap like i did working IT in WY and sitting in front of computers looking at lines of code for 11 hours a day.

So thoughts. Is it worth it? Anyone have experiences good or bad?

Never tried actual crossfit, but it really seems just like a glorified version of circuit training (which I have done in the past), with an accompanying clothing line. Its popular right now, for sure, but will likely fade out of style in the next few years.

Not saying that it isn't a great workout, far from it. Circuit training has been around forever, and for good reason. Crossfit just found a way to capitalize on it.

There are some good "crossfit style" gyms that have experienced trainers, focus on training form and technique, and actually know what they're doing. I would recommend checking reviews and recommendations, and especially if you can, talk to people who have or currently attend the gym. That should give you a good idea if this gym is legit, or if they're just a bunch of yahoo's.

Unfortunately, wherever big money goes, bottom feeders will follow. And by this, I mean that with people paying $100-200/month ($150-170 seems to be the average going rate around my town), Crossfit gyms are popping up all over the place, and many are run by know-nothing chumps who just want to your money and don't care if you cause long-term damage to your body.

At almost twice the cost, I'd definitely go for the traditional gym. But I'm a gym rat and have no problem keeping up a 4-5 day/wk routine with high intensity. But if you're looking to try something a bit different, like the idea of the social group workouts (accountability can be a fantastic tool), give one of your boxes a try. See if you can find a deal where you can sign up for a short term (1-3 months), so if you don't like it, you can head to your traditional gym without much loss.

Side note: I'm sure you've heard this, but finding a training buddy for a traditional gym is a great accountability tool and can work wonders for your progress.

TLDR: If you want something different, do your research and find a solid crossfit or crossfit style gym in your area with experienced trainers teaching proper technique.

OR

Stick with your traditional gym. Its cheaper and more versatile. Try to find a gym buddy, or get in touch with an experienced personal trainer (I'm sorry if this sounds arrogant, but when I see a spindly-armed little weakling with a goodlife jacket "training" people, I'm SMH :facep:) lock down a solid routine, and stick to it! Watch videos on weightlifting technique, and don't worry about looking like a douche. I can almost guarantee that no one will care about your technique, and if they do, they should really be focusing on their own workouts.

Best of luck in your future training, whatever you decide!

P.S.: As you can probably gather, I'm a big advocate for the traditional gym/solo or partner training. People should learn how to train on their own and develop lifetime fitness habits. It puts you in better control of your personal fitness and health, and leaves you less dependent on other people or organized activities to stay in shape (i.e. Everyone knows at least one guy that would get fat when hockey season ended, and slim up after it started. I'm looking at you, Dustin Byfuglien :001_rolle)

Injury rates at CrossFit are crazy high. http://www.stack.com/2014/01/16/crossfits-injury-rates/

You should look for something safer. Personally, I like HIT http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/ but you have to find a gym close to you, or do it on your own.

lol CrossFit is as safe or as dangerous as any other activity. The youngest members we have are in high school and the oldest is in their 70s. All you have to remember is to check the ego at the door and you'll be fine.

Seriously consider a 1 month membership at the reg gym. Go in slowly and get back in shape. If after a month or better yet three. Yo still have an interest in working out try cross fit. It's intense and you will be pushed hard. That's ok if you stop before you injure yourself. I don't know many pro trainers who will let you do that. Fatigue is fine but most trainers seem to try to injure you to some degree.

I've been going to the local CF gym for close to 9 years now and the only time I've been injured is when I did something stupid and didn't take my own advice about checking the ego at the door.

Injury rates in CF are no worse then any other activity, we just just get more bad press as it's popular to pile on.

Contact the local box and ask questions about classes, programming, scaling. They may ask if you can come in and talk in person and get tour of the facilities. If you're seriously thinking about going ask if you can observe a class at the time you're thinking of training to get a feel of that classes dynamics.

One look at how they do their "pull ups" is all i need to know about this. And to stay far away from it.

proxy.php

It all depends on why you're doing pullups. Those are butterfly pullups and they're done for speed. Doing them strict is also done when doing pullups for strength.

it just seems like doing those will secure a one way ticket to injury ville

Depends on when you start. We generally tell members if you can't do a dozen strict don't start with kipping pullups as you'll hurt yourself. I don't do that style myself, too old and I'm afraid I'd knock my teeth out on the bar. I do the other style of kipping. Easier on my old man shoulders and less chance of knocking my teeth out.

I've been doing Crossfit for almost a year now. I was VERY hesitant to get into it for the same reasons you have.

One reason I joined was because you had to take a "Breaking" class 3 days a week for a month. It was here we learned all the movements and proper form for all of those movements. This was way better than me going to the gym and trying to guess on the proper form. Secondly, the biggest factor for me has been the class/group aspect. It keeps me motivated, keeps things fun, and I get such a better workout when I'm doing the exact same workout as others (even though I may have to scale the workout to my fitness level). You will be surprised how much your body is capable of and I've never been any more sore compared to a workout on my own.

I think it's important to know that you will find people that are very competitive and are constantly chasing the clock and putting proper form by the wayside. That is not why I'm there. I'm there for a fun workout and to maintain good health, not to lift the heaviest weights or to get the best time. I've found that most crossfitters are accepting of that and don't make me feel forced to compete like they do. I couldn't have a higher recommendation of it!

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Every box is different, so anyone who tells you that you will experience X,Y or Z is only speaking generalizations. You find a good box the same way you find any other professional service.

Call or email them and ask when would be a good time to stop in and ask questions, and/or observe. If they have multiple workouts during the day you should observe during the same time that you expect to be working out. Just like every box is different, every class/WOD has a different feel depending on the personalities that regularly show up to that time. A 5:30am WOD full of Firebreathers will be vastly different that a 11am WOD with mostly Soccer Moms.

Find out how they will prepare you for the program. There needs to be a Foundations type program where they will help you establish the basics for the lifts and gymnastics movements, and show you how to modify those movements if you can't safely perform one or more of them.

As mentioned above you can also expand your search to non CF branded gyms, there are a lot of functional fitness type programs that are doing practically the same thing.

Find out what you're expected to do after your Foundations phase. At some gyms you just show up to any time slot, at others you signup for a specific time slot, or must schedule ahead of time so that the class is not overcrowded.

When comparing a coached workout vs a commercial gym you need to factor in that typically there are far fewer members at a Box/Functional Fitness gym than at a commercial gym, and that you should be receiving coaching during every workout, where as at the commercial gym the staff will usually show you how to adjust a machine or set the pin, but otherwise you are on your own unless you pay for personal training beyond your monthly fees.

I'd say it depends on what your goals are. I know a lot of folks who love Crossfit because of the community & variety. Others really enjoy the competitive nature of it.

I love lifting, and don't mind steady progress with subtle or rare changes in the program. For me, the design is the most important aspect - and thus crossfit has never been appealing. That said, traditional lifting isn't for everyone - and while CF isn't for me, I can see why people are drawn to it.

Local gyms will always be cheaper, but if you consider adding a personal trainer they get close to the same price as a crossfit gym. That being said there are some good and some terrible coaches out there. Much like personal trainers.
If you are really interested in crossfit you gotta do your homework. I feel like all good coaches and trainers are fairly transparent about their qualifications. That's usually a good place to start. There are exceptions, those people are a rarity though.
If you walk in the door and they sit down with you, and try to get a good feel for the direction you want to head. Then discuss a plan for achieving that you'll know they are invested in your success.

Many of the things stated before this are excellent.

MrLara that type of pullup should not be attempted without a good base strength. Once you have achieved that, butterfly pullups are a staple for gymnasts around the world.

Last edited:
Injury rates at CrossFit are crazy high. http://www.stack.com/2014/01/16/crossfits-injury-rates/

You should look for something safer. Personally, I like HIT http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/ but you have to find a gym close to you, or do it on your own.

+1. Personally, I prefer to vary my workout depending on how I feel and what needs attention. If you want to improve form you can hire a trainer for a few hours. The group dynamic in CrossFit works for some, but it also encourages over use and injuries IMHO!

Top Bottom