What's new

Critter Pics.

We have these little guys all over the place but I still love finding them. Probably the most common snake here, competing with the Eastern Rat Snake. Eastern Worm snakes are also very common in my particular area, water snakes and racers all over the place. Most common venomous here is the copperhead, although where I used to live, it was the canebrake rattlesnake. Hell, it was the most common snake, period; I lived behind farm land and there was one year I didn't go a day without seeing atleast one in my yard.

We have these little guys all over the place but I still love finding them. Probably the most common snake here, competing with the Eastern Rat Snake. Eastern Worm snakes are also very common in my particular area, water snakes and racers all over the place. Most common venomous here is the copperhead, although where I used to live, it was the canebrake rattlesnake. Hell, it was the most common snake, period; I lived behind farm land and there was one year I didn't go a day without seeing atleast one in my yard.
This is the first one I've seen, or at least seen and didn't misidentify s a young garter. The snake I see the most is the northern watersnake then probably eastern garter. We have copperheads, timber rattlers, and massasauga rattlers in my area, but not a lot of any of them and I've never seen any of them.

This is the first one I've seen, or at least seen and didn't misidentify s a young garter. The snake I see the most is the northern watersnake then probably eastern garter. We have copperheads, timber rattlers, and massasauga rattlers in my area, but not a lot of any of them and I've never seen any of them.

I feel so lucky! I get to see at least a couple snakes, frogs, turtles, raptor (birds) every day. I work at a zoo and I'm not talking about exhibit animals, we just have a lot of land space with all different kinds of habitats. I find flora and fauna at work that you would rarely see all together in our native habitats despite them all being native species

Flipped a log today and found this beautiful mother Broad Head Skink with plenty of eggs! I was intruding enough, already, so didn't want to get too close for a better pic...

20220611_124941.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Beautiful creatures, deer.

Good thing Otto Korreck didn't change that to:

"Beautiful creatures, DEAR!"

Thank you for sharing this @simon1 !

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Beautiful creatures, deer.

Good thing Otto Korreck didn't change that to:

"Beautiful creatures, DEAR!"

Thank you for sharing this @simon1 !

It seems like like some journalists (and I use that term loosely use that term} are relying on otto to edit their stories and not doing themselves.

Reading a news article is a chore chore nowdays. Terrible speilling, snetance structure, and gramdma.

So remember mommy skink? Well, I decided to check on them today and the little guys were in the middle of hatching. Unfortunately under the log the little guys were running under is infested with asian needle ants, very violent things. A few of the little guys were already being eaten, but I was able to shoo away the majority that had already hatched, but the guys still in the eggs were helpless; there was also one unhatched. I was able to collect them and bring them back, put them in a flower pot with some mulch and waited for the rest to finish hatching. The unhatched egg finally did and it's a little runt, I hope he makes it. The others seem to be doing fine.

20220709_125230.jpg
20220709_151019.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So remember mommy skink? Well, I decided to check on them today and the little guys were in the middle of hatching. Unfortunately under the log the little guys were running under is infested with asian needle ants, very violent things. A few of the little guys were already being eaten, but I was able to shoo away the majority that had already hatched, but the guys still in the eggs were helpless; there was also one unhatched. I was able to collect them and bring them back, put them in a flower pot with some mulch and waited for the rest to finish hatching. The unhatched egg finally did and it's a little runt, I hope he makes it. The others seem to be doing fine.

View attachment 1485484View attachment 1485486
Amazing creatures! I remember when you first mentioned this. I sure hope the rest survive.

These guys live at the edge of a retention pond. They, and the rest of the crew, smaller and bright green, are being fed and it shows. I see piles of lettuce and fruit being left for them daily. I pass them on bike rides, about 1.5 miles from the house. They are becoming less skittish.

Attachments

• D0E02449-2A7C-4A4D-BFC8-555752BD7228.jpeg
    D0E02449-2A7C-4A4D-BFC8-555752BD7228.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
These guys live at the edge of a retention pond. They, and the rest of the crew, smaller and bright green, are being fed and it shows. I see piles of lettuce and fruit being left for them daily. I pass them on bike rides, about 1.5 miles from the house. They are becoming less skittish.
I know they're invasive, but I still love them. The adult males always look so majestic and dinosauric.

Top Bottom