What's new

Crimping the washer back on a Fat Boy?

Hi Guys,

I have a number of Fat boys that I have stripped to replace broken parts etc. I was about to start rebuilding them and to try and crimp the washer that holds everything in place, using long-nosed pliers, then it struck me that there may be a better technique or 'proper' tool to crimp the washer back.

Does anyone have any good ideas, or know of a special tool (or anything better than pliers)

Any advice greatly received..

Hi Guys,

I have a number of Fat boys that I have stripped to replace broken parts etc. I was about to start rebuilding them and to try and crimp the washer that holds everything in place, using long-nosed pliers, then it struck me that there may be a better technique or 'proper' tool to crimp the washer back.

Does anyone have any good ideas, or know of a special tool (or anything better than pliers)

Any advice greatly received..

As I recall, the Fat Boy adjustables came in at least two flavors as distinguished by the end caps that were, or were not, removable. Earlier Fat Boys had two slots that allowed you to use a pin spanner (or equivalent) to remove the cap, whereas later caps were press fit and not, strictly speaking, removable in a way that wouldn't damage them.

More information here.

Top Bottom