What's new

Cremo as a Pre-Shave?

I occasionally use Cremo, BUT only as a pre-shave conditioner.
The wetter and thinner the lather is applied by hand on my face the better. Then I rinse most of the Cremo off. Only at that point do I apply a good hard soap lather with a brush. Works for me!

I have been using pre-shave oil for quite a while (mostly Truefitt & Hill) and I think it helps. In any case, I was running low on the oil and decided to try Cremo as a pre-shave instead. I have never found Cremo to be satisfactory as a shave cream, probably because I don't like creams that are designed to be brushless and therefore don't build much of a lather. So this morning I used a very light layer of Cremo instead of shave oil prior to face lathering (as usual) with Proraso Sandalwood. It's only a sample of 1, but I have to say that the cream seemed to lather better than it does by itself or with pre-shave oil, and the combination delivered an excellent shave.

Has anyone else tried this combination? Are some of the other creamy pre-shave products as good as or better than either shave oil or Cremo?
Go onto YT and type in "Cremo as a Pre-Shave". There is a video by George Bruno, who is a very experienced barber who sings the praises of Cremo as a pre-shave. He has no affiliation with the company and apparently does not get paid to make any claims about the product.

I forgot to mention that I apply the Cremo to my wet face and work it into my beard by hands for several minutes before applying the shaving soap over top.
I forgot to mention that when I use 1/8 tsp of shave soap, I add 2 tsp of water and make it into a slurry in my lathering bowl. Then with a slightly damp synthetic brush, I whip it into a great lather.

Top Bottom