What's new

Cremo as a Pre-Shave?

I have been using pre-shave oil for quite a while (mostly Truefitt & Hill) and I think it helps. In any case, I was running low on the oil and decided to try Cremo as a pre-shave instead. I have never found Cremo to be satisfactory as a shave cream, probably because I don't like creams that are designed to be brushless and therefore don't build much of a lather. So this morning I used a very light layer of Cremo instead of shave oil prior to face lathering (as usual) with Proraso Sandalwood. It's only a sample of 1, but I have to say that the cream seemed to lather better than it does by itself or with pre-shave oil, and the combination delivered an excellent shave.

Has anyone else tried this combination? Are some of the other creamy pre-shave products as good as or better than either shave oil or Cremo?

I actually use it all the time as a preshave. A great shave... And a great preshave too. I just lather it up with a lot of water and let it sit on my stubble while I shower. Any of their other products (facial cleanser and moisturizer) also work great for preshaves.

I actually use it all the time as a preshave. A great shave... And a great preshave too. I just lather it up with a lot of water and let it sit on my stubble while I shower. Any of their other products (facial cleanser and moisturizer) also work great for preshaves.

Ditto. The moisturizer imo is better a preshave than the face wash.

I've used Creamo as a pre-shave. Works great for me. It definitely add to the slickness of whatever soap/cream you are using.

This is good to hear. I have some creemo cool just sitting here because I didn't realize it was a brushless cream. The initial reason for the purchase was made in hopes of keeping the easy potential of ingrowns to a minimum. (tea tree oil)
I'll have to try this combination; perhaps with something faint in scent as the creemo cool is quite potent.

Cremo works well for me as a pre-shave. I tried it as a shave cream but realized I preferred a lathering soap/cream. Cremo works as well as oil for preshave, and is a lot cheaper than any commercial oil I've seen.

I used Shea Moisture's African Black Soap & Shea Butter Shave Butter Crème as a pre-shave product before finding Cremo. Performed well.

African Black Soap & Shea Butter Shave Butter Crème.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
May try this. Love the smell of the Cremo Bourbon, but I just can't *see* the thin coating of the stuff; makes for a confusing shave.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
ah. Not sure I want to slime up a brush ... do like the smell of the Bourbon, though.

It has its place.

AA

I wonder if the Palmolive tube cream I have would make a good pre-shave . . .? Of course, if I lather it on before hopping into the shower, it'll be rinsed off pretty fast; and if I wait to put it on until I'm finished rinsing my hair and face, it won't be on long. It's worth a try, I suppose.

I have been using pre-shave oil for quite a while (mostly Truefitt & Hill) and I think it helps. In any case, I was running low on the oil and decided to try Cremo as a pre-shave instead. I have never found Cremo to be satisfactory as a shave cream, probably because I don't like creams that are designed to be brushless and therefore don't build much of a lather. So this morning I used a very light layer of Cremo instead of shave oil prior to face lathering (as usual) with Proraso Sandalwood. It's only a sample of 1, but I have to say that the cream seemed to lather better than it does by itself or with pre-shave oil, and the combination delivered an excellent shave.

Has anyone else tried this combination? Are some of the other creamy pre-shave products as good as or better than either shave oil or Cremo?
Yes. I use 1/4 tsp of Cremo as a pre-shave. I then use 1/8 tsp of my shave soap for a 3-pass shave. I bowl lather then once on my face I vigorously agitate the shaving cream in a back and forth as opposed to a circular motion. It creates even more lather on my face. I use Highland Springs Havana Vieja for shaving soap and it lathers wonderfully. I bowl lather with the Supply Marble Lathering Bowl which I would call a lathering machine. It has taken me 3 months of practice and documentation to figure out how to extract the most out of these products and I have succeeded.

Yes. I use 1/4 tsp of Cremo as a pre-shave. I then use 1/8 tsp of my shave soap for a 3-pass shave. I bowl lather then once on my face I vigorously agitate the shaving cream in a back and forth as opposed to a circular motion. It creates even more lather on my face. I use Highland Springs Havana Vieja for shaving soap and it lathers wonderfully. I bowl lather with the Supply Marble Lathering Bowl which I would call a lathering machine. It has taken me 3 months of practice and documentation to figure out how to extract the most out of these products and I have succeeded.
I forgot to mention that I apply the Cremo to my wet face and work it into my beard by hands for several minutes before applying the shaving soap over top.

Any facial moisturizer works well as a pre-shave. So that means most aftershave balms, gels, skin foods, etc. can also be a preshave. Cremo aftershave balm is good.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Cremo is my go-to pre-shave. Works great. I only use it on my first pass, but some of that super-residual slickness sticks around for additional passes.

Top Bottom