What's new

Cream vs soap - is one 'better'?

Cream vs soap - which, if either, is 'best'?

• Cream

Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Soap

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Equally magnificent

Votes: 65 49.2%

• Total voters
I read a lot here that creams are great, but that soaps overall edge them. Creams are easier to lather for beginners, as they are already wetter, whereas it takes more experience to get excellent lathers from soap.

I don't agree however. Of course some creams are better than some soaps and vice Versa. But overall, I rate them the same for quality of lather you can achieve. I've used a lot of both, and of course followed the hype and got lots of great soaps when I felt 'experienced'. E.g. MDC, Tabac, Sudsy, Nuavia.... But in the end, I honestly can't beat (though I can match with soaps) plain old Proraso White. That cream simply gives me a great lather every time, every bit as good as the soaps, and better than most including Nuavia. I've now moved to Proraso Single Blade cream, which again simply delivers brilliantly. Yes some artisan soaps have better post-shave properties, but that's what my AS/Lucky Tiger/balms are for as needed, which I wouldn't want to do without due to the great scent range and healing properties they bring. I still use my soaps a lot, but again for scent and variety reasons only. Who agrees?!

I use both, but Palmolive tube cream gets most of my time. Mostly for nostalgia, my grandfather, who introduced me to shaving, used it. Been using it for 30+ years.

I like having varying scents throughout the shaving process, starting with scented hot towels. So aromas of each part of the process is important to me. Soaps edge out creams for me because of this. Proraso Green does make a regular appearance during my menthol based shaves though, as well as Pacific Shave Company's Caffeinated during spearmint based shaves.

Tough question, I like soaps and creams probably equally. Post shave face feel from soaps may be a bit better than creams but after using AS splash and/or balm the difference disappears. I guess I like the face feel during the shave and the scent of the product.

The main soap I use these days is various Stirling soaps, with Proraso occasionally. Creams are Proraso, TOBS, Body Shop Maca Root (old formula, have not tried the new one and probably won't). I have not tried the Proraso Single Blade creams due to not wanting to buy such a large product. if they come out in smaller packaging i will definitely try them.

Also, just ordered some Stone Cottage creams to try.

I've found excellent performers in both camps, to be sure... Recently I've been using almost exclusively soaps though, I find them more satisfactory when loading the brush

"Better" is up to you the end user. Everyone is different, some prefer creams other soaps.
It comes down what works for you. try out scent profiles that you like and see which is best for you.

I use both, but mostly soaps, as I like the "loading of the brush on the puck".

Cream I like are because of the lather and scent (GFT Spanish leather, TOBS Avocado and TOBS Eton College).
Soaps, too many to list.

I agree that there is no such thing as "better" when it comes to comparing creams with soaps.
Personally, I enjoy both equally, as I get wonderful shaves with my soaps (Stirling and RazoRock)
and my creams (Proraso, Maca Root, TOBS, and Cyril Salter.) For me and my face, it's become a
matter of matching the product to the brush. My soaps do better with my synthetic brushes (Yaqi
and RazoRock) while my creams do better with my badgers (Simpsons and Elite Razor.)
But, all things considered ..... you know what's the best part of all this ? ..... it's that we have so
many wonderful options of both soaps and creams to even have this discussion. Bravo Gents, Bravo !

I initially thought that cremes were great and that soaps would lather as well or easily or smell as nice. That's because VDH was my soap and TOBS were my creams. Cremes are easily to use too much of and therefore use up faster.

Once I found Stirling, I've switched to mainly using soaps.

My unqualified opinion:

While everyone has their personal qualifiers, I personally have come to believe soap is superior. Not only is it virtually always cheaper per shave, but it really does not take a lot of additional time to lather. I think cream is great, as a beginner. I believe people should ween themselves off of creams and move on to soaps as soon as possible. The only creams I use on a regular basis, are scents those only available in a cream. That includes a few TOBS scents (Almond, Mr. Taylors but they have other great ones).

I bought Windsor cream, and absolutely loved it, quickly moved on to the windsor soap and now, I never touch the cream. Might sell it or trade it off soon.

It all depends on the person! I like creams, for me they are easier to create lather, but that is just my preference. By all means use what you want, but most of all, enjoy your shave!!!

Tom

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've come to prefer soaps, but an excellent cream and an excellent soap both give an equally excellent shave. I am never without a tub of CF Lavender.

Soaps are generally better at being soapy, while creams tend to be creamier.

I do find a small travel tube of cream best when I am on the road though

Top Bottom