What's new

Cream vs soap - is one 'better'?

Cream vs soap - which, if either, is 'best'?

• Cream

Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Soap

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Equally magnificent

Votes: 65 49.2%

• Total voters
overall I prefer loading my brush on a hard milled soap, but I can get great pleasure from the creams I use too. I'd go either way.

The current crop of soft soaps produced by some artisans is among the best I've tried, but I doubt anything will be able to unseat ADP or SMN either in scent or performance.

Soaps and croaps. Creams are good if you are in a hurry and you want faster lather, but soaps/croaps allow you to "play" more and give you more satisfaction when you get the proper lather.

Soaps for me.

I do like the way creams perform, but I don’t like their ingredients. Seems to be impossible to make or preserve a cream (unless it’s lather-less ..... which is no fun) without something I’d rather not spread on my face.

So it’s soaps for me.

Put some cream on your soap. Winner!
Yup.
Wilkinson Sword soap and Nivea Originals cream pairs nicely.
Colour-coordinated, and the Nivea tones down the scent of the WS.
image-jpg.932046

Yup.
Wilkinson Sword soap and Nivea Originals cream pairs nicely.
Colour-coordinated, and the Nivea tones down the scent of the WS.
image-jpg.932046

You sir, are an artist! Colour combination too! Who would have thought! :a14: Amazing! I never reached such levels of attention in wetshaving!

It's a preference. I like to use creams when I want to get lather faster or if travelling without a brush. Soap requires a brush. Hard soaps can last a very long time where creams can dry out after some time. Some soft soaps offer some combined benefits and are the easiest for small businesses to develop, so they seem to be very popular on this forum. Very few small artisan vendors make creams.

I've tried all sorts of stuff and have settled on having a rotation of tube creams and hard soaps all from established companies. This works out for me to balance price and performance and availability. The best value combination for me are hard soaps/sticks with a good synthetic brush.

Hard soaps can last a very long time where creams can dry out after some time.
True that.
Tonight I used some Crabtree & Evelyn "Sienna" cream. It's been discontinued for a decade, I think, and I only had a ring around the bottom of the tub. I had to read the label to confirm that it was originally a cream and not a soap or croap.
It worked, and still had the scent that I liked, but it took a while to load the brush. Next time I may add 500 millisnurdles of Cremo or some such.

I use both, i don't think either is better than the other.

Last week i mixed a tube of Lea and a tube of Ingrams cream. I liked the smell and cooling of the Ingrams but the Lea was slicker and left my skin feeling better. Mixed them bother together in a tub and now i have the best of both worlds. Cant do that with a soap.

I do believe that tallow based soaps & creams are better than glycerine based however.

Top Bottom