What's new

Crazy thread on Gent's Scents Facebook group.

So this guy starts a thread showing a picture of a 10 ML sample of Creed Aventus (even made up his own label) and get this, he actually filled the thing at Nordstrom's. Just grabbed the tester bottle and sprayed it right in there. Now, as far as sample bottles go, that's one of the biggest. Even has its own sprayer. He was SO PROUD of himself that he got away with it and felt no remorse whatsoever because to him the bottles are samples so they're "free." A few people defended him, most guys were pretty annoyed. I said it's stealing. Doesn't matter if it's Creed or Bath & Body Works, it's not something a gentleman would do. He proceeded to insult me and continued to defend himself because "Creed would never notice." (he even admits he does this all the time)

Why do I type this? Because being here over 10 years, I'm so used to the men of these hobbies being gentlemen, but on Facebook, that's certainly not the case. I know that I would not find one man on this forum that would defend that bro for "finessing some free Creed."

This is the realm of the true gentlemen. Some guys just don't get it.

So this guy starts a thread showing a picture of a 10 ML sample of Creed Aventus (even made up his own label) and get this, he actually filled the thing at Nordstrom's. Just grabbed the tester bottle and sprayed it right in there. Now, as far as sample bottles go, that's one of the biggest. Even has its own sprayer. He was SO PROUD of himself that he got away with it and felt no remorse whatsoever because to him the bottles are samples so they're "free." A few people defended him, most guys were pretty annoyed. I said it's stealing. Doesn't matter if it's Creed or Bath & Body Works, it's not something a gentleman would do. He proceeded to insult me and continued to defend himself because "Creed would never notice." (he even admits he does this all the time)

Why do I type this? Because being here over 10 years, I'm so used to the men of these hobbies being gentlemen, but on Facebook, that's certainly not the case. I know that I would not find one man on this forum that would defend that bro for "finessing some free Creed."

This is the realm of the true gentlemen. Some guys just don't get it.
I just finished a 46 year career in retail, and have seen and had to deal with selfish people like this guy taking advantage of the "free sample/help yourself" situations. I recall the "free lunch" promos to get customers exposed to new lawn mowers/barbecue grills/etc.type of events. You would see people go t hough the serving line several times to get a hot dog and a coke. How brash and selfish. Sometimes you have to step in and put a stop to it, tell them they've had enough, or ask them to leave. This clown wasn'T stealing, per se. If you tried to have him arrested, his case would be dropped in a heartbeat, since what he was doing was getting a sample. This kind of customer behavior has gotten worse the past decade or so. So many people don't care about anyone but themselves. Still have to say they guy was a selfish tool, and if your job wasn't on the line, tell him to GTFO!!

I am glad you like it here, masonjarjar. B&B sure is not Facebook, or ebay, or the city street that is most of the internet.

<I know that I would not find one man on this forum that would defend that bro for "finessing some free Creed.">

I would hope not. But, on the other hand, I would not be shocked either, human nature being what it is, and this being a rather public forum.

I am not sure not walking up to the Nordstrom's counter and pumping yourself out 10 ml of Creed has that much to do with the restraints of being a true gentleman. I do not think one has to be a gentleman, in order not to be a jerk. I think it is stealing and sure is discourteous, at the least, the others that might want to sample Aventus or any other scent in general, the folks who work at Nordstrom's, etc. It messing up something that could be nice for a lot of people, for one's own individual gain. The overall concept being that Creed should not be so stupid as to offer samples?! Should we all feel like suckers for not doing the same? Does this guy pick flowers from a public park, too? Walk by my house and steal my newspaper because no one is guarding it. Not clean up after his dog in a public park?!

What strikes me as truly un-gentleman-like is bragging about being a thief on a public forum. I do not think you should be surprised to be insulted. One could argue that pointing out that this guy is a thief and low-life is itself rude and ungentlemanly. I would say, instead, that a gentleman is never unintentionally rude!

Also, the guy sounds like a troll to me. Spouting out some nonsense to see if he can get a rise out of folks like you and me, and even more fun, get others to agree with him that some outrageous behavior is perfectly acceptable. At base trolling is a perversion. Don't get sucked into it.

I am not surprised to hear both the behavior and "pride" of the...... (fill in the blank)

The number of "rocket scientists" videoing themselves in the commission of a crime and bragging about it is rising.

One good thing, it makes less work for law enforcement when they get an in Progress crime video combined with an unsolicited confession.

Thanks to that jerk, I will now subconsciously associate Aventus with Thievery.

Yeah, Nordstrom should boot him to the curb and tell him never to come back.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This is what happens when a society does away with the death penalty. They go on to breed cologne thieves, lol.

I am guessing that Nordstrom can take care of itself, as much as a pain as that could be.

I am pretty experienced in decanting scents from spray bottles for scent splits. Pumping out a 10 ml decant into a spray bottle is not a quick or subtle thing to do. I suspect someone behind the counter is letting him get away with this. There must be things in place to keep folks from walking off with the entire bottle. If they can spot that, I would think they could spot this.

Nordstrom's certainly has had to deal with things like folks buying a dress to wear for a particular event and bring it back for a refund after wearing.

A gentleman finesses his samples from the woman working the fragrance counter.
amen! I actually love doing this, being an older man and most the women being my daughters' ages, they don't seem to be threatened by my hanging around and often suggest fragrances for me to try.

There will always be people out there who will take advantage of any situation and ruin it for everyone else. This is the same type of guy to buy a fake Rolex to make the girls think he’s got money. So they go home with him only to realize he still lives with Grandma. The joke is on him. No money and no class.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I work in retail (supermarket) and whenever there is a promotion on with freeby taste testing etc people hover and try things out which is the intention. But the people going back for seconds etc is increasing. We have an offer on for a free piece of fruit for every child that comes into the store if they want a piece. There is a couple who bring their children in to the store every morning and give their kids free fruit for breakfast. The kids take more than one piece each but the store manager won't say anything as she believes that the kids are hard done by and wants them to get some nutrition. I don't agree with what to man on facebook did. He is no gentleman, a gentleman would take one spray to sample the smell and then leave the rest for others to try.

<The kids take more than one piece each but the store manager won't say anything as she believes that the kids are hard done by and wants them to get some nutrition.>

That brightens my day!

Very tacky to fill sample bottles at the store. Some people screw everything up. Soon there will be no Creed testers......

If it happens enough, they'll lock up the samples and you'll have to ask to try them, and if it's off-season, you might have to run around the store to find someone to get them out. They will probably be a cashier as well, so you might have to wait for them to finish with customers.

Of course with how much shopping is moving to the internet, might not be many department stores left in the near future for it to be an issue.

Top Bottom