What's new

Crappy shaving story in NZ national paper

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/6/story.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10499492

This is a story I found today in one of NZs biggest newspapers (doesn't make it any good though).

Basically some guy went for a straight razor shave so he could compare that with a Gillette Fusion shave. A guy went for the shave but a woman wrote the article.

The story says nothing about DE shaving at all and just does a vague comparison between modern and straights. They have one guy at a barbers (22 years old doing straight shaves for a year) saying straights are better then some other guy (a barber for 40 years who runs Mr Barber Training Center apparently) who said "Today you are competing with razors that have four or five blades in them, are self-lubricating ... even the old-style cut-throat with one blade isn't going to compete with a razor with four or five blades in it.

The modern ones will cut closer than the old-fashioned one. Technology has got so much better. People romanticise the old cut-throat shave but it's not a patch on modern gear."

I wonder if Mr Barber Training Center is sponsored by Gillette?

The guy who got the shave did prefer the straight shave though and thought the results were better.

As a story though, complete fluff!

I am working on changing things here though. I've been threatening my friends (who all think I am nuts buying razors and soaps and so on) that I would blog about my wet shaving experiences so today I started work on that. We don't all have to be ignorant shavers down here!

Simon

What a load of bollocks!I purchased a Fusion out of curiosity.It doesn't even feel like you are actually shaving and I cut myself twice.I rarely nick myself with a DE or SE and the shaves are closer and more comfortable.I have only gone traditional recently and have to laugh at all the hype surrounding the latest face scrapers.:biggrin::biggrin:

I have the adds for the new gillette 49359blade pivot-head razor, I see 'em on the subway and I have to look away.

I think it's all too easy to become enamored by the "new". Heck, even I get excited when a new macbook pro comes out. IMO, it's only when we try the new that we realize the old did just as good of a job, if not better.

The reporter even stated that everyone could tell which side was done by the multi and which by the straight. Now what does that tell you?

Marty

Top Bottom