What's new

Cowboy Boots

Austin, thank you sir! It's one of those quirky things about me (like wet-shaving) that people either think I am weird for doing or they find it utterly facinating. I'd rather be top-stitching at an old Pfaff sewing maching than I had watching football or something like that. I absolutely love sewing.

DL

Let us know when you set up shop. I'm in Dallas and would love a custom pair of boots. Ever since Nocona's and Justins started getting made in Mexico, I've been a little upset. Lucchese's are great, but I've not found a pair that fit right.

Crocs>
They are terible for your feet.
I own a pair that I take with me when I travel to wear in strange showers and hotel rooms.

I know this thread went cold two days ago, but I just got a chance to dig these out of the basement (I haven't worn them in years).

They are elephant hide, made in Spain, by Nocona. I got them at Frankel's in Brooklyn in about 1982.

I know this thread went cold two days ago, but I just got a chance to dig these out of the basement (I haven't worn them in years).

They are elephant hide, made in Spain, by Nocona. I got them at Frankel's in Brooklyn in about 1982.

Very cool vintage boots!

You know for years it was illegal to import elephant hide into the US. The restrictions have lightened up a lot and it is readily available again. The elephant hide used to make boots comes from either the ears or the forehead. The most durable leather that there is.

DL

Too funny Dennis....I just bought a pair of Justin's that look exactly like your new boots ! I'm a city-boy too....and proudly wear cowboy boots, steel-toe paratrooopers, and engineer boots around town. Got a few pair of cowboy boots too (including a pair of lizard Lucchese that I got for $40 at a used clothes store). Wearing boots rules.....I'll never stop.

Cowboy boots are a classic! I've been wearing them for almost 50 years. (Can that even be possible?...50?, wow, I guess it can.) When and where I grew up, grown men did not wear tennis shoes, sandals or shorts. It just didn't happen. Also, this Wrangler jeans thing is a fairly recent development. "Real" cowboys know you should wear Levis. Pretenders and newbies wear Wranglers. lol

Levis are poorly constructed crap made out of cheap denim. Wranglers cost less and a better made. They also have the thick seam on the outside of the leg which is more comfortable on a saddle. Levis have the thick seam on the inside of the leg.

Very cool vintage boots!

You know for years it was illegal to import elephant hide into the US. The restrictions have lightened up a lot and it is readily available again. The elephant hide used to make boots comes from either the ears or the forehead. The most durable leather that there is.

DL

Thanks, DL. You are absolutely correct -- while the other parts of the boots show their age, the elephant hide doesn't even have a scuff on it!

:001_smile

Levis are poorly constructed crap made out of cheap denim. Wranglers cost less and a better made. They also have the thick seam on the outside of the leg which is more comfortable on a saddle. Levis have the thick seam on the inside of the leg.

I've had crappy Levi's and I've had crappy Wranglers. The only difference is that the crappy Wrangler's cost more.

Here's a picture of 15 year old Chris Romero boots.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom