What's new

Could one "shave off" a few inches of sole from a pair of English-made Doc Martens?

That sounds preposterous. I understand. Allow me to explain:

When my wife and I were still dating, years ago, she bought me a rather expensive pair of Black Doc Martens wingtips. These were no classic wingtips, mind you... they had steel toes and enormous (maybe 2-1/2" thick) soles. It was the fashion at the time we were dating.

Now, I think they're damned ridiculous. But I appreciate the quality of English-made Docs (especially now that they're made in China), and I'd like to keep them. I will NOT, however, wear them in the state they're in. Hence my original question - would it be possible for a shoe repair shop to remove the sole, "shave off" a bit of material from the top, and replace it on the shoe?

I'm thinking probably not. It's worth a shot though. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't be surprised if a cobbler would turn his nose at the idea, but it really doesn't seem far fetched at all. If you've got a tool habit like I do, maybe you've got a small table saw in the garage, although I'm sure there are a bunch of other ways you could manage. I'd cut about 1/2 inch off the bottom to reattach later. Then I'd cut however much you want gone, and then reattach the bottom of the sole with epoxy or contact cement.

I do, in fact, have a table saw.

Know what I just thought of? Sending them through a planer. I'd have to do that at work though... when the boss is gone for the day.

I do, in fact, have a table saw.

Know what I just thought of? Sending them through a planer. I'd have to do that at work though... when the boss is gone for the day.

EXACTLY what I was initially thinking, but I figured that'd be a ridiculous thing to assume you had haha. Give it a shot on either one...I honestly don't see how it could go poorly for you.

Are the soles completely solid? My recollection from wearing Docs back in the 80s was that the heels at least had air cavities that gave some cushioning effect. Shaving them off would open those up.

Best bet would be to remove the soles completely and replace them. Probably an expensive proposition, but if the shoes are in good condition it might be worth it.

Are the soles completely solid? My recollection from wearing Docs back in the 80s was that the heels at least had air cavities that gave some cushioning effect. Shaving them off would open those up.

Best bet would be to remove the soles completely and replace them. Probably an expensive proposition, but if the shoes are in good condition it might be worth it.

What he said. I'm 95% sure Doc soles are not solid.

V

VR6ofpain

What he said. I'm 95% sure Doc soles are not solid.
Yup. Hence the name "air wair":

proxy.php

I'm sure that any good cobbler could replace your sole for you. The key is to find a good cobbler. I took a pair of Doc low quarters in a while ago to be resoled and the first cobbler I went to told me it couldn't be done. Not that he couldn't do it, but that it was impossible. I looked around and found a better guy and he replaced the soles and did a great job of fixing up the shoes. Just make sure you get the right guy.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There's holes in them thar soles.

Nid Hog is right ... replacing soles on a Doc is a problem that a mediocre cobbler will say can't be done, but a good one will manage. I wonder how much of a height reduction can be managed through this procedure, though. :blink:

I guess I sorta abandoned this topic...

It's nice to see the great answers a lot of you gave, though. After some consideration, I definitely think resoling them with a good cobbler is the route to take. They're in great shape and pretty classic aside from the Frankenstein-esque sole.

Top Bottom