What's new

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements DOC shave report

IMG_3530.jpg

Hey, fellas. @GoodShave was generous enough to offer a PIF that included a PAA DOC, and I was lucky enough to be drawn as the winner. Here's the original post for that PIF. GIVEAWAY! - PAA DOC/Taconic Synthetic brush/HSC Sample PIF - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/paa-doc-taconic-synthetic-brush-hsc-sample-pif.626480/

I received it yesterday and shaved with the entire kit today using a Schick Krona blade from the Old Friend PIF that has been going on for sometime. So here's the report.

Schick Blade #3, Shave #2

Razor: PAA DOC
Soap: Hawaiian Shaving Company Kaimu Shave Soap sample (Peppermint Orange)
Brush: Taconic Synthetic Brush
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

So how did it go? Well, this is going to be an incomplete report for several reasons and you'll see why.

Soap - When lathering up the HSC soap, it lathered very easily and quickly and gave a beautiful head of lather. My impressions when applying to to my face were...meh. It wasn't bad at all. I just enjoy the feel of some other creams a little more, and I didn't find it as slick as I generally like. My report is incomplete because I'm recovering from COVID and I have lost my sense of smell so I can't attest to that. My kids said that it has a distinctive smell but they couldn't completely place it (and I withheld the top of the can from them to get their true impressions). I'm sure that it smells nice, but again I can't give an accurate opinion right now.

Brush - This brush has a heavy handle. It's significantly heavier than my other brush (which was a plastic-handled inexpensive brush that I picked up off of Amazon). It whipped up a good lather. It is soft while still maintaining some backbone. All in all, it did what a brush is supposed to do - whipped up a lather and applied it nicely to my face. I'm glad to have it.

Razor - Again, I feel like my report here will be incomplete. The razor did its job. I ended up with a very close, efficient shave. Several reports that I have read or heard about this razor call it a mild shave. I wouldn't disagree, but I would say that it's less mild than my daily driver, a Henson AL13 Mild. I would also say that it's more efficient than my Henson. You do have to pay attention or you'll get bit. In fact, I got nicked in 2 place - one on my neck and one on a place on my cheek that has a dimple. However, please remember that the shave report is incomplete and I don't fault the razor for those nicks for several reasons. 1) I'm new to the razor, the soap, and the brush. 2) Not only am I getting over COVID, but I'm on my last day of recovering from pink eye. I typically wear contacts, but due to having to administer drops in my eyes 4x per day over 10 days, I am wearing my glasses. So I was shaving without an corrective vision. I didn't immediately see the nick on my neck and then went over it a couple of more times when I should have left it alone (which made it worse). 3) As I said above, I didn't find the soap especially slick so I think that I got a little heavy handed trying to pull through the lather rather than letting the razor do the work. One more comment about the razor is this. I didn't find the design of the double-open comb to be revolutionary. I couldn't especially say if it was self-lubricating, but again, the entire kit was new to me. Perhaps with my other creams, I'll notice it more.

While it may sound like I did not enjoy the shave, that's not it at all. I am looking forward to another run with this razor with my favorite cream and with my contacts in. What I am impressed with is the efficiency of the shave from what some people have classified as a very mild razor.

Nice write up on your first shave with all of those items.
It is definitely hard to pinpoint problems when everything about the shave is new (other than the blade).
I hope you get well soon!

Reactions: Kix
The PAA DOC is an incredible razor and I wouldn't call it mild at all when it comes to efficiency.
I think the OP’s razor is the nickel plated version of the DOC, which is reportedly a mild shaver. I (and perhaps you) have the DOC Ascension which is more aggressive. I’d rate it at about 7/10 on efficiency. Truthfully, my SS DOC Ascension is one of my smoothest and best shavers, despite my barbed wire whiskers. And neither the Nickel plated DOC, nor the Ascension should be confused with the unobtainable DOC Evolution, which I’m told is a much sought after aggressive beast challenging the 2011 Muhle R41.

I think the OP’s razor is the nickel plated version of the DOC, which is reportedly a mild shaver. I (and perhaps you) have the DOC Ascension which is more aggressive. I’d rate it at about 7/10 on efficiency. Truthfully, my SS DOC Ascension is one of my smoothest and best shavers, despite my barbed wire whiskers. And neither the Nickel plated DOC, nor the Ascension should be confused with the unobtainable DOC Evolution, which I’m told is a much sought after aggressive beast challenging the 2011 Muhle R41.
The DOC line is confusing, I assumed they were all the same except the Evo....
You are correct that I have the SS Ascension as well as the copper. One of the best razors that I have ever used.

The DOC line is confusing, I assumed they were all the same except the Evo....
You are correct that I have the SS Ascension as well as the copper. One of the best razors that I have ever used.
I agree. It is confusing. The Ascension is a startlingly good shaver for the money. I’m waiting for the aluminum DOC Ascension to be available. I’m gonna buy it to use as a travel razor.

Yep. It’s the original nickel plated version which others report as mild. I’m going to give it several more shaves before passing judgment on where it ranks on the spectrum of aggression.

Last edited:
Yep. It’s the original nickel plated version which others report as mild. I’m going to give it several more shaves before passing judgment on whether it ranks on the spectrum of aggression.
I hope you get good shaves with it. If you like it at all, I’d recommend picking up any of the DOC Ascension offerings. Enjoy!

Long time loyalist to PAA and I have always experienced great quality. Plus Doug, Frances and team add a super level of follow-ups and customer services. For me, I have always been Open Comb bias. Somehow I ended up with a Meta-4 (my wife) and loving it. It feels so wrong but so right.....Anyway, the Ascension line sell like fresh hot honey dipped donuts on a Sunday morning. Be patient and they will come....Have a nick free day adding a great BBS .... Cheers all...

Long time loyalist to PAA and I have always experienced great quality. Plus Doug, Frances and team add a super level of follow-ups and customer services. For me, I have always been Open Comb bias. Somehow I ended up with a Meta-4 (my wife) and loving it. It feels so wrong but so right.....Anyway, the Ascension line sell like fresh hot honey dipped donuts on a Sunday morning. Be patient and they will come....Have a nick free day adding a great BBS .... Cheers all...
I’m a big PAA/Phoenix Shaving fan too. Love almost all their software and hardware. Enjoy!

I'm incredibly happy with my copper Ascension. I don't much care for the aluminum or alloys, but would love to see the SS available again.
I wish you had both the copper and steel versions just so that you could talk about them in comparison.

I wish you had both the copper and steel versions just so that you could talk about them in comparison.
Copper is heavier than stainless, and the copper is a weighty bugger! For me, the weight distribution is perfect. The handle seems oversized, but I suspect that had he gone with a standard Tech style/size it would have been very challenging to use.

I haven't placed it on the scale, but it is in the same range as the Flexi, Ambassador or Tradere.

So, if you like a nimble, easy handling razor, go with the aluminum. If you like a "no pressure needed weight does all the work," get the copper. If you like some of the modern SS shavers, you'll have to wait until they come up again, but I could not see being displeased at all.

The zamac is cheap and falls (IME) between the aluminum & brass/stainless in handling characteristics, so if you aren't sure & wanted to try it out, it would be a modest investment.

Edit: the copper is just so darn cool, and reasonable in comparison to other maker's offerings, I really have to just say get it!😄

The twist "adjustment" actually works on it, going from really mild to moderately aggressive. It work better than most classic designs (Gillette, RedRing) because of the head design.

Copper is heavier than stainless, and the copper is a weighty bugger! For me, the weight distribution is perfect. The handle seems oversized, but I suspect that had he gone with a standard Tech style/size it would have been very challenging to use.

I haven't placed it on the scale, but it is in the same range as the Flexi, Ambassador or Tradere.

So, if you like a nimble, easy handling razor, go with the aluminum. If you like a "no pressure needed weight does all the work," get the copper. If you like some of the modern SS shavers, you'll have to wait until they come up again, but I could not see being displeased at all.

The zamac is cheap and falls (IME) between the aluminum & brass/stainless in handling characteristics, so if you aren't sure & wanted to try it out, it would be a modest investment.

Edit: the copper is just so darn cool, and reasonable in comparison to other maker's offerings, I really have to just say get it!😄

The twist "adjustment" actually works on it, going from really mild to moderately aggressive. It work better than most classic designs (Gillette, RedRing) because of the head design.
Thank you for your opinion. I appreciate it.

I truly am torn. See in a general sense I really like copper and would love to own some copper razors. I do have at least one "heavy" razor in an EJ DE89 which is stainless steel. I do like the weight of it in that the head and gravity do all the work. The copper Acension is 117 grams total weight and $111.

With that said, I like the stainless steel handle on the "Select" most. That's the one with the zamak head. I guess at the end of the day what do I really care that it's zamak. This one is 104 grams total weight and $50.

This leaves the all stainless steel and the all aluminum versions. The aluminum one is also very appealing to me because of the cool teal colored base plate. I own a Henson AL13 and have no issues at all with extremely light razors. So this version is tempting as well. This one is 33 grams total weight and $55.

The all stainless steel razor is definitely less costly than the copper and is similar in weight which means it's similar in function. The SS Acension is 99 grams total weight and $88.

So here I am, unsure on which is truly best for me. I guess I'll need to chew on this for a while.

Top Bottom