What's new

Could I use the Dishwasher to Clean and Sterilize

Hepatitis A Virus
The hepatitis A virus, or HAV, is relatively hardy. In good conditions, it can survive outside the body for months. HAV can survive certain acids and some heat. For a period of time and under certain conditions, HAV can survive in sea water, dried feces and live oysters.

So unless the hobo in question has been storing the razor in a bucket of sea water/feces and oysters you should be quite safe with tin foil and baking soda.

Your own post indicates otherwise. indicating that apparently Hepatitis A (and possibly Hepatitus E) can survive for months, including but not limited to the conditions you posted.

You shouldn't put good quality knives in a dishwasher. Leaving the water on there for an extended period of time causes corrosion and makes 'em go dull pretty fast.

It shouldn't be a problem if you just put your razor in the dishwasher, but make sure you don't leave the blade in there!

BBrad: Thanks you publishing the results of your science experiment. It seems like the dishwasher may be a worthy "first step" in the clean-up process.

Actually, I don't think I will add the dishwasher to my routine, even as a "first step."

The results did not match up to what I get with a simple toothbrush and Scrubbing Bubble treatment. I also have an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, which works well as a second step (with dish soap and hot water) to get into tight spots that are hard to get to with the toothbrush. In addition, the caustic nature of dishwasher detergent would certainly harm some razors.

Sanitizing is accomplished with the anti-bacterial properties of the Scrubbing Bubbles. I normally don't run my dishwasher on the "Sanitize" setting unless someone in the house is sick.

To completely sterilize, one needs 15 minutes in an autoclave that provides steam at 250F and 15psi. Dishwashers just don't get that hot!!

Top Bottom