What's new

Is it safe to use a clean glass jam jar as a blade bank?

Any glass or tin is fine as long as you tape it closed and toss in the trash when full. Please don't recycle razor blades. It only endangers the poor sorters making minimum wage.
Now that China has stopped buying our recycling, I think the odds of a few razor blades being actually processed is about zero (if it wasn't already before.)

I was going to buy proper sharps bin as somone showed above, but you aren't allowed to throw them in the regular rubbish here. I guess you could ignore the rule, but it put me off the idea.

My plan was to continue adding blades to my tin money bank and decide a few decades from now when it's full how best to deal with it. But there's only a thin scattering of blades at the bottom and it's already rusting away.

I now like the idea of just blunting them and throwing away in small batches. I wonder how blunt you can get them by rubbing the edges against a glass jar. The problem is they're still nasty thin pieces of steel.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I used a money tin that can't be opened (other than with a tin opener) and it's big enough to take all the blades I will use for the rest of my days (unless I live to 150 as planned). If I drop it it'll just get dented and I've asked if I can be buried with it which should take care of the disposal problem.
View attachment 1694418
I do the same. It has the advantage of being fairly large and fairly attractive on the shelf. I got mine at a dollar store, but truth in advertising: they all seem to be $1.25 stores now.

1690804387413.jpeg

I repurposed a beef broth can for a blade bank. It now has a Phoenix Shaving wrapper around it. When it fills up, seal the top and into the recycling bin.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Although safe or not is the question here, but visual beauty is also important.
The tape-covered jam jars in the bathroom are very functional, but can hardly be considered beautiful.
Of course, we are also looking forward to your art skills that show your personal charm.

Why not just insert them into the slot on the rear of the white plastic container in which the new blades come? It's what it's for. And when that's full (although it will take all the blades from one pack), and the front section is empty, you can get a whole load more in the front section.

You can then store those plastic boxes safely in almost anything. If you drop it, you're unlikely to have old razor blades all over the floor. And those tins full of bare old blades look like a finger-slicing hazard to me!

IMG20230810134716.jpg

The pics of used blades look scary! When I change blades, I put the used one in the wrapper the new one was in. It snaps in two longways. It goes in the general rubbish bin.

Why not just insert them into the slot on the rear of the white plastic container in which the new blades come? It's what it's for. And when that's full (although it will take all the blades from one pack), and the front section is empty, you can get a whole load more in the front section.

You can then store those plastic boxes safely in almost anything. If you drop it, you're unlikely to have old razor blades all over the floor. And those tins full of bare old blades look like a finger-slicing hazard to me!

View attachment 1700000
My blades don't come in a plastic container

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I am with you.
The blades I usually use come in carton packs.

And I've always disliked those plastic blade dispenser because they reserve half the space, preferring that they hold more new blades in the same volume.

Perhaps the plastic blade dispenser is popular, but not everyone's habit of using it.

Unless it is something really fancy or something you have an attachment to, it’s just too big for nothing.

A tiny case of breath mints, or an old plastic blade tuck, will be plenty for well over a year’s worth of blades, plus you can take it with you when traveling.
This. I have been using Altoids Mini cans for as long as i can remember. They work great and last a long time.

And when you need a new one, you get mints! Win-win.

The one good thing about a glass receptacle is that who ever has to handle the stuff can see what's in it. Assuming the glass is clear.

Well, well. I'd always assumed that all blades came in those plastic boxes. Have tried a few brands over the last few years (Gillette, Wilkinson Sword, Derby, Feather - now the only ones I use), and all of them came in those white plastic boxes. You learn something new every day....

I use an old coffee can with a cracked plastic lid. Since I don't share the bathroom with anyone else, there's little to no risk of anyone messing about with the can and getting hurt by the used blades inside. That said, I doubt I'll fill up the entire can in my lifetime, so maybe I'd better apply an appropriate warning label to it.

Just an FYI because I noticed a lot of people mentioning recycling used blades.
Please check with whoever you use for recycling--Municipal, private company, etc. Many places don't recycle razor blades as they are considered biological or hazardous waste.

I don't see why not. I use a plastic sour cream container that I cut a slit in the lid and taped it on well. Been working fine for me for a year and a half.

Top Bottom