What's new

Is it safe to use a clean glass jam jar as a blade bank?

Good afternoon all.

I found empty jam jar in my kitchen. After washing it in the dishwasher it is perfectly clean. Is it safe to use a jam jar as a blade bank? I can understand the risk of it shattering if I drop it, but I could strengthen it by wrapping gaffer tape around it? I have searched the forums as I wasn't sure if this was asked before. As always your help will be welcome.

Jason.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Safe in what way?
As far as breakage, it's as safe as your own personal grip. There are plenty of glass or ceramic shaving items in use around the globe every day, so I would see no reason this would be any different.
If you're worried about dropping it, or knocking it off the counter then tape is an option, though I can hear the voice of my wife in my head if I were to stick an old jar wrapped in tape on my bathroom counter!
Perhaps a better, more decorative option might be a Tea Tin with a slot cut in the top. You're living in a land of wonderful Tea Tins that many of us in the US do not readily have access to unless we order online.

I assume you mean for used blades? It'll do fine, though if you do drop it you'll have a fun job picking up blades and broken glass.

I use a tin money box, with a slot in the top. Will last me a lifetime.

I wouldn't obsess about cleanliness BTW. You won't be sanitising the blades before putting them in.

PS, I just stumbled on a locking version, could be appropriate.

IMG_20230730_145044.jpg

Last edited:
Unless it is something really fancy or something you have an attachment to, it’s just too big for nothing.

A tiny case of breath mints, or an old plastic blade tuck, will be plenty for well over a year’s worth of blades, plus you can take it with you when traveling.

Ive been using a jalapeno jar for years. Put a slice in the lid for the blades to drop through. Mine sits on a shelf in the medicine cabinet. I dont have to handle it so no fear of dropping it. A tea tin as mentioned is a good option too.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I used a money tin that can't be opened (other than with a tin opener) and it's big enough to take all the blades I will use for the rest of my days (unless I live to 150 as planned). If I drop it it'll just get dented and I've asked if I can be buried with it which should take care of the disposal problem.
IMG_20200924_101417.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I wouldn't. No matter how safe you are with at home, once it enters the recycling stream it will get rough handling. It would be awful to have razor blades floating loose in the recycling stuff which is often, at least partially, sorted by hand. I find Altoids tins to work quite well.

Glass is safe enough in my opinion, although personally I prefer a metal blade bank that can be sealed shut (e.g., with a vice) and recycled with no fear of blades coming loose.

Once again thanks to all of you for your replies. The reason why I posted this thread is that rather than having to buy blade banks for my used blades, I thought it would be more economical to use an old jam jar I have in the house. Given the size of it I reckon it would take a good several years to fill up. I will take precautions when it is full; I will wrap it securely with gaffer tape when it is full, attach a warning on it saying 'Danger. Used Razor Blades' then take it to my local recycling point and enquire the best way to dispose of it.

Jason.

I recently became sophisticated and bought a Fendrihan ceramic blade bank, but what is wrong with an ordinary empty soft drink can?

B.
Thats what I had in mind before, but I thought a glass jam jar may be safer as theres no danger of the blades piercing it. As mentioned elsewhere on this thread once my jar is full it will be securely wrapped up in gaffer tape then disposed off safely.

Jason.

Top Bottom