What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

No, La Petite Blanche does not necessarily have anything red in it. The typical indicators are a pale color and blue, often swirled lines running through the side. La Dressante can often be equally pale, and I've had several such examples, one of which was almost white. Both layers can have manganese lines.

Are the manganese lines toxic?

I had a 5x2.5 like the one Mike has above. I was nice but I don't care for the size.

proxy.php

OK guys here are the side shots of the bout. Note the red blushing in the middle of the yellow.

Attachments

• $IMAG0445.jpg
    $IMAG0445.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 216
  • $IMAG0447.jpg
    $IMAG0447.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 215
  • $IMAG0448.jpg
    $IMAG0448.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 214
OK guys here are the side shots of the bout. Note the red blushing in the middle of the yellow.
Gonna go with Dressante on that little jewel of yours Jon.

Heres my latest little bit o' Belgian Real Estate. It has has stamp of B.T. Co. who was Bösenberg, Trinks & Co., Pike & Escher GmbH. Anyway the stone was residing in spain in new condition until my recent acquisition. It is stamped extrafein and it is as well as extra hard and extra fast. I can't for my first shave from it and I am pleased with the results from my initial trials.

View attachment 255770View attachment 255771

Attachments

• $IMG_4618.jpg
    $IMG_4618.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 210
  • $IMG_4614.jpg
    $IMG_4614.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 211
Certainly the largest "LGB" I've (knowingly) handled, and hopefully the best...first before lapping;

http://thesuperiorshave.com/images/lgb_0710_1.jpg

and post-lapping, adjacent to departing incumbent 'office pig';

http://thesuperiorshave.com/images/lgbs_0710_3.jpg

http://thesuperiorshave.com/images/lgbs_0710_4.jpg

http://thesuperiorshave.com/images/lgbs_0710_5.jpg

I really think the old "office pig" has value far exceeding any nominal one, so let me get settled in with the new guy and thereafter we'll gather all the coticulites' names into a cyberhat and, so long as they 'promise' to keep it, have one very lucky dude get it for free. It'd be absolute shame for it to sit unused, and yet I wouldn't want to sell it, so this is the right move.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've waited too long for such a thing to come down the pike; somewhere deep in the recesses of this thread is the stone I've been using for the last ~3000 or so customer sales, a pitifully sized LGB bout (~96mm long and width starting at 32mm and peaking at 66mm for the last 50mm of the 96mm length) for anyone "forced" to use the tool professionally every single damn day. This must've been an 'off-size rectangle bout' because it is 43x181mm, and I have no clue how it got misplaced all this time as I've been hoping to find a bigger LGB than the office bout for about 22 months now, but during the shuffle of the move it showed up. For my uses, I can't find a better stone; I need as fast and as soft as possible a coticule, but not so fast or so soft that it would require running water, and not soft enough to need to be babied here in the shop, and once those criteria are met I'm always chasing square footage. This one will get the job (been shaving off its unlapped edges a week or so now) until something better comes along. What I wouldn't do for a 65x300mm piece of this!

To me they're easier to understand...I'm sure this is just the ridiculous limitations of human interpretation being conjugated, but with a good soft one (most especially with the holographicest La Grises, but they're just far too fragile to do the job here in the office, where I am admittedly a little careless with the stones and strops in exchange for some valued time) I feel like the edge is bending to the will of the stone when used with a little pressure, without chipping away.

I'm not much of a stroke counter or anything like that, I did then when I started, but nowadays honing's about finding the sensation of symbiosis with the particular blade and hone in hand, and chasing that feeling until you're not getting it anymore, then your'e done.

In my brain on most hard stones it feels like you're not helping the edge if you use some pressure, rather you've got to "meet the planes at infinity down the road" to get the best of them. Can't speak for other hands, but for me that takes much more physical dexterity than using a little pressure.

Top Bottom