What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

8x1 3/4. If it hones as good as it looks it should be something else...
20210919_103602.jpg
20210919_103606.jpg
20210919_103609.jpg
20210919_103615.jpg
20210919_103618.jpg
20210919_103621.jpg
20210919_103626.jpg

20210919_103632.jpg

Ok, I will do as soon as I acquire the necessary lapping tools. 🙂

And this is a friend's 150x40mm Selected, bought a week ago from Italy.
To my eyes it seems different in color/texture than mine, any guess on the vein?

Attachments

• Coticule_150x40_Sel_1.jpg
    Coticule_150x40_Sel_1.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19
  • Coticule_150x40_Sel_2.jpg
    Coticule_150x40_Sel_2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
  • Coticule_150x40_Sel_3.jpg
    Coticule_150x40_Sel_3.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 17

timwcic

"Look what I found"
That surface looks like a 4x2 I have. Does it feel a bit gritty with only water?

No, it has a very low sensation of grit under water, almost glasslike. I have not used nearly enough to have a full opinion, but by feedback it has potential to be one of the truly high end finisher

Reactions: Wid
I recently got a Torrey multi hone with an "Old Italian Rock". The stone looks unused and the other 3 strops were useable. I have to say that if this is coticule it is quite different from my other ones. Seems less dense + more abrasive/raspy? It does not have alot of features besides some tiny pock marks and was sort of grey colored before oil. The red smear in the photo is red paste transfered from the back wood side from putting the leather cover over it and not inherent.

I tried water to start with and it was too scratchy, some 800 grit improved the surface some, and slurry stone helped smooth it further. The instructions on the box call for oil and it feels better that way. I took a syn shave ready Joeseph Elliott razor to it and did 40 passes. Dont think it did alot of good to be honest, lots ramming "boulders" feeling. Felt kind of like shaving directly off a BBW or my 3line swaty, sharp and serviceable but not very enjoyable. Tired 40 more stone passes with minimal change. I then used the other 3 parts of this strop including the red paste on wood, blackish paste on leather and clean leather. Way better shave, really impressed by the progression improvement. I could see someone 120 years ago being very happy with this item and I feel fortunate to experience it. I really am surprised by the stone feel and how well the strop parts worked.

20210910_234454.jpg

Those are really nice pieces of coticule!
Thanks, it is really clean and well preserved besides the box. I will experiment with it more and maybe carefully try a slurry dilution progression. My newer mined 2 coticules are so smooth they barely do anything besides polish, while this one really does work. I bet this stone could cut as fast as a 2k synth if you added pressure and slurry. I have to imagine long ago a more abrasive coticule would be wanted for a combo hone and likely was hand picked for this purpose. It might start to mellow out the more I use it though.

Thanks, it is really clean and well preserved besides the box. I will experiment with it more and maybe carefully try a slurry dilution progression. My newer mined 2 coticules are so smooth they barely do anything besides polish, while this one really does work. I bet this stone could cut as fast as a 2k synth if you added pressure and slurry. I have to imagine long ago a more abrasive coticule would be wanted for a combo hone and likely was hand picked for this purpose. It might start to mellow out the more I use it though.
I've got a newer one that was sold as an axe stone that tells like it's got more abrasives in it but also they're more aggressive kinda like quartz. It's really fast but pretty fine. Can't finish on it, got to jump to something else.

Top Bottom