What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Yeah it looks just like my favorite coti... right down to the crack at the one end. The only difference is mine is a bit smaller, coffin instead of rectangular cut, and unbacked.

Some good news about my new LV. I honed a razor on a Nakayama with an incredible grit, ok I can only guess, I would say it is around the 20k range. That means a hair splits when touched with a snap noise at 10mm and more and you can not see things like a saw profile under the microscope, only an iced edge. After 40 strokes on the LV with the weight of the blade and water only, the blade is at the same level. The edge looks perfect under the scope, no scratches or deterioration, only the icy look is slightly different. It is interesting, that it is a medium or almost soft stone (of course without autoslurry). My vintage LV however is an extreme hard stone and much faster with slurry and with water. The new one is ultra fine and very silent with water only (feeling and sound are as fine as my finest Jnat) and the bonus, it has a good speed on slurry. It is the best Coti I have ever experienced, I go even further and say the best stone ever.
$P1040061.jpg

Last edited:
So I bought a lot of hones for a pretty big chunk of change... the 7" B/G Thuri and 6" Y/G Thuri were as expected... but there was one odd stone out.

It's roughly 8x1.5", so I figured some unknown slate... It's a little thick to be a disembodied BBW, and that's a more unusual cut for a glued coti. I bid expecting I'd get either a weird cut BBW or a random mystery slate.

It gets here, and one side has the texture of a disembodied BBW, as well as the color and pattern saying BBW. I start lapping it, and while it's definitely on the softer side of BBW, it's in the range, and the slurry matches; definitely your usual purple. However, as I'm lapping it, I keep getting this odd sense that it's synthetic. It just doesn't feel quite right for a BBW. And then I notice my finger, where I'm gripping the stone, is gouging out a flaw/ chip in the stone. Definitely the behavior I'd expect from a poorly made synthetic. I almost suspect it's the spot someone tried a Hydrochloric Acid test on, or something. Also, from the side it has very distinct layers, going ALL the way around the stone... that look almost identical to Hindostan layers... just blue.

Any thoughts? I mean, I'd presume this has to be a BBW... but that flaw is unusual... I could dig it out easily with a fingertip... and it feels brittle and chalky... like an old barbers synth that's breaking down really bad. And the pattern, though I'd assume is bbw... also kind of reminds me of my vintage Kingstone polishing stone (red/brown with black spots) and my Sigma Power 6k (Pink with red spots). Furthermore... it's pretty absorbant (BBW usually isn't), and it feels dry and dusty when dry (BBW always feels kind of glassy or slick to me). I mean it LOOKS like a BBW, and that makes sense... but so much is saying synthetic too.

Any ideas?

In the first (auction) picture, you can see a brown/orange/rust colored discoloration where the flaw is.

Attachments

• $4.jpg
    $4.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 94
  • $1.jpg
    $1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 94
  • $2.jpg
    $2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 88
  • $3.jpg
    $3.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I'd really doubt it. The slurry is about as purple as they come. I can't imagine a tam slurrying purple. Also, way too soft for a Tam in my experience.

I just ran a razor over it, and I'm leaning heavily towards a reform-brokken. It feels and sounds like that hone did. Not as coarse as the bottom side was... more like the white side (which wasn't a razor finishing stone either). I'll throw the slurry under the scope, but I expect it'll be full of big old 25micron+ garnets. I'm thinking it's probably the "coarse" side of a finer version of the belgian reform brokken I tested a few months back. Very likely the white side (if it were present) of this hone would be a razor finisher... and the big old squarer one I had was meant for knives or other tools. Maybe they were distinguished primarily by dimensions, even?

Anyway, nothing's certain until I scope the slurry, but it definitely reminds me of that stone.

And I'll bet the flaw is almost exactly what I theorized (a "synth test"... though perhaps it was unintentional)... someone probably spilled a drop of some strong cleaning agent on it and it dissolved away some component of the stone that gave it structural integrity.

Last edited:
Ok, no huge garnets... but I think it is bbw. Maybe a very unusual BBW or a much better reform than I gave it credit for. Still have to test the actual edges and see what it does to a razor... but here's slurry, and an edge off light slurry.

Attachments

• $20161201_234836.jpg
    $20161201_234836.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 83
  • $20161201_235118.jpg
    $20161201_235118.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 86
The coticule side of that hybrid is kind of stealing the show. Pretty easily the 2nd easiest coti to use I have ever encountered. It has the smoothing oit to glass at each dilution stage to such a degree it is mind blowing. Been doing blades all weekend on the thing. So user friendly.... Hht 4ish off the stone

That's awesome. You got lucky. Congrats.

Anyway, I finished a razor on my stone with water, and HHT says it's just a weird bbw. I also noticed the stone was splitting along one of the lines on the side near the flaw. Turns out the flaw lets water in, and created a fault along one of the lines in this weird layered BBW... I figured it's probably BBW and not worth much anyway, so why not satisfy my curiosity. Pried it apart at the crack, and sure enough, it's a natural stone. Almost certainly BBW... just with a weird supersoft flaw (I can push my thumbnail 2mm deep in it with little effort). So that's solved. Now I just need to lap the backside down and add it to my pile of "lost BBW waiting for a coti to back".

Attachments

• $1.jpg
    $1.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 57
Top Bottom