What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Cool cotis, everyone!

I'll have to get pictures up later, as my toddler is sleeping and I can't get to the room right now, but I wanted to share something pretty cool. Got a somewhat dainty coti at a local flea market last weekend - it's a natural combo but overall quite thin, both with regard to the coti layer and the overall stone. About 7 inches long and 1.5 wide if I recall (haven't formally measured it yet) . Anyway, it was glued to the box and dished to the point where the center was almost at wood level, so lapping it in the box would have been a pain. I cut the end of the box off and slowly pried it out. Not to difficult, though I was a bit disappointed with how little real estate was below the wood line. Anyway, what's cool is that on the bbw side of the stone, the part glued to the box, there was the words "G.H. Smith, 1836" scribed into the stone in very old fashioned script. I never would have seen that if I hadn't taken the stone out, so I'm super glad I did. So cool to know at least a part of the provenance.
Like I said, I'll show a few photos soon, hopefully tomorrow.

$Size 6 combo.jpg

I have been playing with this little size 6 BBW combo over the last couple of days. Not sure what it is exactly but the seam between the two is almost red when its wet and the spots in the Coti continue through the BBW which I haven't seen before. Its a rough feedback stone, finishes the same as most of the other Coti's I have used. I really like this size for touch ups 110mm x 60mm (40mm at the narrow end).

Cool cotis, everyone!

I'll have to get pictures up later, as my toddler is sleeping and I can't get to the room right now, but I wanted to share something pretty cool. Got a somewhat dainty coti at a local flea market last weekend - it's a natural combo but overall quite thin, both with regard to the coti layer and the overall stone. About 7 inches long and 1.5 wide if I recall (haven't formally measured it yet) . Anyway, it was glued to the box and dished to the point where the center was almost at wood level, so lapping it in the box would have been a pain. I cut the end of the box off and slowly pried it out. Not to difficult, though I was a bit disappointed with how little real estate was below the wood line. Anyway, what's cool is that on the bbw side of the stone, the part glued to the box, there was the words "G.H. Smith, 1836" scribed into the stone in very old fashioned script. I never would have seen that if I hadn't taken the stone out, so I'm super glad I did. So cool to know at least a part of the provenance.
Like I said, I'll show a few photos soon, hopefully tomorrow.

Here are some photos of the flea market fine. FWIW I paid 5 bucks for the stone. Turns out I was wrong when I recalled the name - it's actually "GH Cook", and under it "May 13, 1834". Hopefully these pictures are readable, as it's hard to make out the inscription. Also, I've never seen a stone where the coti layer "leaks" into the BBW like this. It's interesting and I'd be curious to know if anyone has any layer info. I haven't tested the stone yet but plan to this weekend.
Thanks all!

$ScreenShot005.jpg$ScreenShot004.jpg$ScreenShot003.jpg$ScreenShot006.jpg$ScreenShot007.jpg

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
That is a beauty! Love the signature and date. It will be interesting to see how the surface changes with lapping as the manganese starts to bleed through.

Beautiful and interesting stone. I think I would lap just enough to flatten and then use it for water laps only. A stone with this much history should be babied.

....babied?
If I was around since the 1830s, I'd wanna see glory, not an old folks home.

Anyway - very cool drippy sides....

Sorry, didn't mean to step on toes. It is yours and of course you should do what you want with it.

Oh I hope you didn't misinterpret my response to Gamma. I was just playing around - I am only going to use it for water laps as you said. I would imagine Keith (Gamma) would probably do the same. I have other stones to slurry with, this one will just be for finishing.

Fantastic! I have a soft spot in my heart for historical things. Just imagine, That stone likely honed a razor for a soldier during the civil war.

I probably wouldn't hone an axe on it - no. But I wouldn't pick a Coti for an axe anyway.
But, but I'd slurry it up and hone razors on it for sure. Might not make it the go-to for all my honing but I'd definitely put it through a workout or 2 or 3.
To me, stones should be allowed to realize their destiny... a hone, must hone.
On the other hand - I have Eschers in boxes that haven't come out to play.. not yet anyway.

Top Bottom