What's new

Corned beef for Saint Patrick's feast day?

Damn-it Jim, I'm giving it all I can! Corned Beef, hmm, I can fit that in a 32mm casing with some potatoes....

See you soon!

Tom

I'll most likely head down to a local restaurant again on St Patrick's day. They smoke their brined brisket in a smoker behind the restaurant and baste it with beer!

My Deli guy always puts together corned beef dinners. I usually grab one of those. Might have to give corning my own a go one day. Let us know how it turns out.

As for leftovers, I am more of a corned beef hash for breakfast kind of guy.

sounds like you guys really know your corned beef. i do have one lil secret i'd like to share. "sam adams cherry wheat"
not in it, but to drink with it. i dont think there is another food/beer combo that go's any better.

I've used Charcuterie for my corned beef for a while and get good results, did you use his pickling spice recipe? I liked it much better than the premixed stuff from the local grocery.

Growing up Irish in central New England, corned beef was a weekly staple purchased from the neighborhood market. However, the corned beef we ate was grey in color having been corned without the added saltpeter. Pink corned beef was called Jewish corned beef by everybody I knew as a kid.

Does anybody else remember grey corned beef? Can you even buy it any more? I have never seen it since leaving New England over 30 years ago.

As to corned beef... blech! I'd much rather celebrate with a nice shepherd's pie or beef stew (the local "pub" makes it with a wonderful Guiness-based gravy). But, as it is, I'll be celebrating St. Joseph's Day. :tongue:

As to corned beef... blech! I'd much rather celebrate with a nice shepherd's pie or beef stew (the local "pub" makes it with a wonderful Guiness-based gravy). But, as it is, I'll be celebrating St. Joseph's Day. :tongue:

Lasagnette del San Giuseppe on Sunday?

Lasagnette del San Giuseppe on Sunday?

No, but it's the one day I voluntarily suffer my lactose intollerance for some zeppoli. :drool: But, ya know, the lasagnette do look really good too. Hmm... I may have to do some convincing here....

Pulled my beef out of the brine, looks pretty nice. A healthy pink, not fluorescent pink like some of the commercial ones.

I like my corned beef "sweet & stout", flavored with some Guinness and brown sugar. The cloves, bay leaves and black peppercorns are of course present, but they're merely extras.

Top Bottom