What's new

Shepherd’s Pie

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Looks mighty fine to me. Here it's a shepherd pie from lamb and cottage pie from beef but I'd eat it no matter what you call it.
Next time get it's to the desired thickness before sticking in the oven. You can thicken it up with either more flour or cornflour mixed with some cold water, just make sure you cook it out for a few minutes to get rid of any flour flavour.
With that said give me a spoon for that tasty liquid or tip the plate to slurp it up and I would be a happy camper.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Looks fantastic! You know what’s an interesting twist on the ol Shepherds Pie? Cauliflower. Trust me. You steam yourself up the cauliflower and toss it in the food processor with cream butter salt and pepper. We use it in place of the potato sometimes.

Thats not a bad idea.

Looks mighty fine to me. Here it's a shepherd pie from lamb and cottage pie from beef but I'd eat it no matter what you call it.
Next time get it's to the desired thickness before sticking in the oven. You can thicken it up with either more flour or cornflour mixed with some cold water, just make sure you cook it out for a few minutes to get rid of any flour flavour.
With that said give me a spoon for that tasty liquid or tip the plate to slurp it up and I would be a happy camper.

I did thicken it with a bit of flour but then I thought it was too dry and added another 1/2 cup of stock. It didnt need it. I linked this thread to my nephew. The next day he got inspired, made his own and sent me this pic lol.

5066b0e1e853c9b487e5e0d5e5a78bcad892c457.jpg

He used Jerk seasoning instead of Cajun. Next time I'll follow his lead and make half the amount I made, right in the pan like he did. I made enough to feed 8-10 people haha.

I pretty much halved everything for a family of 4. Meat was 600g.

Eyeballed carrots as we only had baby ones, I added celery during the carrot and onion cooking. Used Memphis Dust (smoker) rub instead of Cajun and I made rustic, chunky mashed potatoes as I like lumps in them. Cheese will go on part way through the cook.

First time making a Cottage Pie. Looks like it's going to turn out. Thanks for the recipe @Esox

I'll follow up after the meal.

PXL_20220106_220212003.jpg
PXL_20220106_215818429.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Looking good, Bruce.
I've not had a cottage pie in some time and this thread has me wanting one right now. Great winter comfort food.

Pics don't do it justice, it was awesome. A keeper recipe. Perfect ratios of meat to seasoning to liquid, with the ability to tweak flavours and/or add extra vegetables or throw in's.

Finished with paprika, s&p, fresh parsley and Cholula.

One kid declared "better than Mom's".

PXL_20220106_231148199.jpg

PXL_20220106_231318115.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Pics don't do it justice, it was awesome. A keeper recipe. Perfect ratios of meat to seasoning to liquid, with the ability to tweak flavours and/or add extra vegetables or throw in's.

Finished with paprika, s&p, fresh parsley and Cholula.

One kid declared "better than Mom's".

View attachment 1389927

View attachment 1389926

That looks fantastic. I'll have to add cheese next time and yeah, paprika is also a good idea.

Nice Dutch Oven too. How many qt's is it? The one I use is older than I am, I'm 55, and aluminum. Over the years the acid from cooking tomatoes has left the bottom pockmarked.

Wish I had some leftovers this morning.

Cottage pie, or shepherd's pie, like other British peasant dishes such as lobscouse, is a highly variable dish, using local ingredients and proportions determined by what's in the larder that day. There's no right or wrong recipe. We had scouse more time than I can remember (and happy to have it), yet it was different every time. The only constant was that it was invariably served with bread...and often beetroot.
The shepherd's pies are usually made with mince, but they needn't be. I've had them with shredded, chopped or cubed mutton or beef. Onions are a must and vegetables are sometimes added. Though pease are most common, any vegetable can be employed. There is always a top-crust of potato, but sometimes a bottom-crust as well. It's best made with marrow-bones, but many cheat with Oxo or Bisto. We never viewed the addition of cheese as traditional, but when it appeared, it was usually cheap mild cheddar.
One wouldn't waste good cheddar on a pie.
It is essentially a vehicle for left-overs. In British working-class homes, it was an economy meal, nothing like the poncy chef-driven pub cuisine served to-day. Depending on your mum's expertise, it could range from jolly good to absolutely horrid, and when it was all that was on offer...you bloody well ate it!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It is essentially a vehicle for left-overs. In British working-class homes, it was an economy meal, nothing like the poncy chef-driven pub cuisine served to-day. Depending on your mum's expertise, it could range from jolly good to absolutely horrid, and when it was all that was on offer...you bloody well ate it!

Thats my take on it too. Sort of like fried rice;

Don't overthink it. It's leftovers, man, leftovers.

That looks fantastic. I'll have to add cheese next time and yeah, paprika is also a good idea.

Nice Dutch Oven too. How many qt's is it? The one I use is older than I am, I'm 55, and aluminum. Over the years the acid from cooking tomatoes has left the bottom pockmarked.

Wish I had some leftovers this morning.
This was an enameled Staub 28cm, 4wt

We didn't pay this much....Costco has them online sometimes.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My wife and I (ok, it was just me) loved hitting the Irish bars around Portland and Bath Maine when we used to visit. Guinness, Smithwicks and Shephards Pie, I was in heaven. I almost had to be carried out.

Looks fantastic! You know what’s an interesting twist on the ol Shepherds Pie? Cauliflower. Trust me. You steam yourself up the cauliflower and toss it in the food processor with cream butter salt and pepper. We use it in place of the potato sometimes.
I've used rutabega in place of potato. Great consistency, with just a little bit of a tang.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I almost had to be carried out.

We've all had nights like that. I remember a night walking along Young St. in Toronto with friends. 32 bars and 32 Black Russians later, I made it to the hotel.

Our take on Shepherd's pie. I use a pie crust, add a few mushrooms and use hash brown diced taters. The wife likes a little cheddar on top too. Yes, that's ground local lamb.

View attachment 1391339

I'm happy to know so many people make this dish. No one really mentions it much. That looks good!

I've used rutabega in place of potato. Great consistency, with just a little bit of a tang.

You made me think about adding a bit of Parsnip next time.

Mature Cheddar. Every time. If foregoing the cheese, a little Coleman's English mustard mixed into the mash works a treat.

Pork pie is great! It's a whole different animal though... pardon the pun.

View attachment 1387005

However, it still goes great with Coleman's English mustard and mature Cheddar. :biggrin1:

You did right. Tomato paste not needed. Whether Shepherd's pie or Cottage pie, it's not meant to be Bolognese pie.

It looks like you made a cracking job of that, mate. Well done! By well done, I mean congratulations... not overcook it :001_tt2:
Pork pies :

Excellent quality.

Top Bottom