What's new

Corned beef for Saint Patrick's feast day?

Got my brisket trimmed up and soaking now. Anyone else brining their own?

I am using a base recipe from Charcuterie:

1 gallon water
2 cups kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
5 tsp pink salt
3 garlic cloves
2 T pickling spice

Added a couple extra cloves of garlic and some red pepper flakes.

I've been thinking of that. I've got the kraut going and Have the caraway rye technology down. I could make the mayo and the catsup. A little late for relish i suppose. I think I will just buy the cheese. All set for left overs.

Have you done this before? It sound like fun.

I've been thinking of that. I've got the kraut going and Have the caraway rye technology down. I could make the mayo and the catsup. A little late for relish i suppose. I think I will just buy the cheese. All set for left overs.

Have you done this before? It sound like fun.

First time here also, but I have consulted with the experts. What on earth is mayo and katsup for?..... I am a little afraid of the answer!

Sounds good Jim, I usually buy the ones already done, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and Guinness =]

MMM! Makes me want to go to the market tomorrow and pick some up

I am a little afraid of the answer! Why homemade Thousand Island dressing the hard way! Although I see a Russian that looks tasty too.

Got my brisket trimmed up and soaking now. Anyone else brining their own?

I am using a base recipe from Charcuterie:

1 gallon water
2 cups kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
5 tsp pink salt
3 garlic cloves
2 T pickling spice

Added a couple extra cloves of garlic and some red pepper flakes.

How big's the brisket for those proportions?

The B&B answer is the one with more fat.
A huge fat cap isn't necessary. I trim mine... You do want a well marbled piece though.

Jim, Are you bringing for the full ten days? You can inject the brine into the meat and speed things a long a bit. I usually can get #10 of brisket with enough brine to cover it and after injecting have the beast ready in 4 days.

I am shooting for 7 days in brine than a couple of days of fresh water soaking to pull any excess salt back out, a day of rest then into the pot she goes.

Top Bottom