What's new

Corking a New Blade

The benefit is to tame a fresh blade that might have some roughness to it's edge.

I found a couple of old school wine corks. Lightly draw the edge of the blade across the cork. That's it!

It is done to remove any microscopic burrs which might be left over from the manufacturing process. You can also use styrofoam instead of cork.

Graydog, personally I don't know if it makes a difference but I use the inside of my forearm like a strop for my blades. I put the blade in my razor and go lightly over my forearm for maybe seven to twelve strokes. Maybe I'm crazed but I like doing it:001_rolle

I hand strop instead, but like [MENTION=80140]davidsilva[/MENTION] said, just draw a fresh blade across a wine bottle cork.

I’ve never done this myself but I have stropped blades if they seemed a bit rough out of the box but that is pretty rare. But now I’m thinking of giving it a try. Lately I’ve had a few rough “made in China” Schick blades. Stropping is really not practicable so maybe I will give corking a try.

I've used Chinese Schick blades for years, and I've never encountered a rough blade. In fact, I've never had a bad "Chick" blade. Of course, I find it hard to imagine how to "cork" an injector blade without going to more trouble than it would be worth.

I've used Chinese Schick blades for years, and I've never encountered a rough blade. In fact, I've never had a bad "Chick" blade. Of course, I find it hard to imagine how to "cork" an injector blade without going to more trouble than it would be worth.

Your absolutely right its probably “more trouble than its worth” but I’m cheap and if I can save a few packs of blades I’ll do it…
I was thinking to try it with the blade loaded...

Anyway a while back a small local privately owned convenience store was clearing out their stock. Guy said “no one buys these any more” so I think I gave him $10 for the whole box(also back about 1992 K-mart 50cent clearance bagged me about 40 boxes, So I've good stock until now). They are made in the USA and I’ve only used made in the USA for the last 35 years but my stock is down to a totally unacceptable level so I’ve tried the Chick blades this last year to save my stock. Bad move. The Chick blades just don’t compare for me. If they work for you great! Maybe I just got some bum one‘s…

$Shick blades 001.jpg

Maybe someone could post a picture of corking a blade so the op understands the process. Strop the blade on the cork, or actually slice into the cork with the blade?

Corking a Blade will just Dull it..That's Why they Feel Smoother..That's Fine if that's What You are After..Multi Facet Edge Blades are Not Designed to be Hand Stropped or Tampered with in Anyway..Gem Blades will Blunt with just Drying them if You are Not Careful..:w00t:

Billy

I used to palm strop or use Styrofoam but then I decided that if the blades need this I don't need them.

Last edited:
Is there any reason to do that to a DE ?

Some guys like how a blade feels on the 2nd shave, as opposed to the 1st. The corking lets you skip to that 2nd shave feeling right away. Does it actually make a difference? Is it all in the mind? Who cares, this is a site about the minutiae of shaving. Do what you like!

Top Bottom