What's new

Cool Find in the family storage piles

I did not expect to see this, but it's cool. I'm going to assume it was my uncle-in-law's from the early/mid 50s. he didn't serve in Korea, but might have gotten it as a USO/basic issue freebie, similar to the USO freebies tossed at me when I took some trips. I assume it's some kind of promotional freebie because the eagle's just not right. then again, it could just be a mil-spec bid winner.

I could check with my dad to see if it was his, but he hated DE razors and was probably using carts by the time he went to Vietnam. and I don't think mom would have kept it. I'll have to see what mom says about it.

it's a lightweight canvas, three-folder, compact dopp kit. I'm amazed it's as well preserved as it is. and the goodies inside are pretty cool too, if you're into DEs (I'm not anymore).

ACF7B563-3C80-4C4F-B8A9-4B4DCAB85534.jpeg

I have an Ever-Ready 150L that looks to have been painted with some kind of enamel paint that should clean off easily, and a banded boar that's crumbling as I handle it. I guess I'm heading over to Shavemac's configurator to see if I want to sink one of their badgers in it. it's an 18/19mm and would make a great traveler.

What I assume is a 4/5 complete, (3/5 functional) New SC, that would be cool to test drive if I can find replacement parts. it'd be cool to keep it as a smaller traveler if I liked it. the head and base plate are grungy though; they need a good clean and polish/sealant.

The Hospital Blades wrappers are in good looking shape and may be worth trying out (5 for $.25 on the box). the Silver Stars' wrappers look good and one blade is out a wrapper; in pristine, iridescently colored shape, but I haven't luped the edges of it.

and a good sized tin mirror in the big pocket that needs a good polish too.

the rest? well... it's a nice looking time capsule. if it had a vintage Williams puck, I'd be lathering it up now. probably not going to open the tube on that cream though.

and no... I'm not interested in selling/giving away any of it at this time, thanks for asking. :biggrin1:

D3EAC019-1380-4A3C-9666-AB512E395BE1.jpeg

8CB78773-3C05-430F-8240-D3590779B3E1.jpeg

I would personally never encourage anyone to give away or sell something that has family history. That is a really cool set.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
That's fantastic, very nice find. The canvas bag by itself is really neat, finding all the goodies inside is just icing on the cake.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I think the Gillette razor, blades, & Ivory soap are all WWI vintage, and the brush probably is as well; the shaving cream? I'm not sure. By WWII most US soldiers were issued brushless creams like Barbasol. Not aerosol foam, but brushless cream in a tube. There are lads on this site who can tell you the exact date when your razor was made; sadly, I'm not one of them. But if that razor isn't from the 1917-20 era it's probably from the early 20s. Post a few pics of it on the DE razor board and you'll get an answer licketty split.

As I said, it's a terrific keepsake. Thanks for sharing it.

Fantastic heirloom! It goes back to circa 1930 based on the Williams tube and Ivory soap designs. Also, looking at the handle and head on the Gillette, it fits the 1930 timeframe.

Top Bottom