What's new

Convex club.

Braking news. Read all about it. Finally after 175 years, a German that can read this "important" old text and speak English has finally been found:)
Finally i can sleep well. One small step for man, one giant leap in the shaving community:)

View attachment 100480

Polytechnische Mittheilungen, Volum 3, Page 28 and 29

G) Straight Razors

The blade of the aforementioned has a uniqueness, which sets it apart from all other types of knives: the full hollow ground, from spine to cutting edge and a thickness of material close to the cutting edge close to nonexistent when compared to the much thicker spine. These characteristics have their good reasons. As it is generally known, to prepare a straight razor for use, after it has been as close as possible completed on the the rotating sharpening stone/wheel, it has to be honed on a flat hand stone; this means it has to be laid flat on the (with oil coated) stone in the specific manner of letting the spine and bevel touch the stone simultaneously, and under very mild pressure, against the cutting edge, - to avoid burr formation - guide the razor on both sides as long as it is necessary. Doing this forms 2 thin (usually 0.2 to max 0.6mm broad) bevels, when those two become one the cutting angle of the razor is set. The hollow nature of the sides, even though it does not contribute to the cutting angle of the razor, is of great importance for this task: it causes the knife to be in contact with the stone on only two places, so it is very easy to be held in this position, some could say it almost holds itself in position, because there are no other points of contact to be found. The most useful result of this is the fact, that the aforementioned bevels will be even and smooth; where as in the sharpening process of a razor with non hollow ground sides and weaker/skinnier spine, an artificial inclination against the stones surface has to be introduced, which is not as reliable, and with the resulting unstableness on the one hand side comes an uncertain cutting angle or on the other hand side, even worse, a slight convex in the bevels, which greatly depletes the needed fineness of the cutting edge.

If it was the goal to create a razor with an even (non hollow) side and a spine, so thick, that it would touch the stone while honing in the same manner as mentioned above, the blade would be needed to be honed evenly across the whole side, which would not only make the business of sharpening razors immensely difficult and take longer but also the guidance of the razor by hand, as the worker, unbeknownst, could lift the spine or the bevel of the razor a tiny bit off the stone.
The hollowness has another use case: it is the reason, why the bevel inwards has an even thickness across a long distance which lets the razor keep a smooth edge with a small bevel/cutting edge, which makes the process of honing easier and faster.

The stone used for honing has to be hard, with very dense structure and even grit, because without these characteristics there is no way a smooth cutting edge can be produced. Some use 2 or 3 stones with gradual fineness in grit; it can be said, without a doubt/certainly that by only using one single very fine stone - maybe with a bit/significant more time needed - the goal of a smooth edge can be reached, this might even be better for the bevel/cutting edge, as the harsh grit marks from the lower grit stones do not need to be polished out. Others go even one step further and change the surface of the stones used in their gradual sharpening stone set. A well-versed man in this matter (honing razors) told me of this for him very advantageous practice: The first, sharpest/best biting/roughest stone (which can be an oil or water stone) shall be made to a convex surface. The second stone in the arsenal, which is a levantinian oilstone that word does not really exist anymore/is a negatively connoted word.. so it should better be called stone from the orient or an arabic one from syria/lebanon/jordan etc. shall be prepared in the same way, even though with less convexness; only the third (last) stone shall be flat, and for this one a fine hard clay slate stone (blue sharpening stone) shall be chosen, here the honing shall always be done with water only. This method is rational; with the convexness of the first two stones the steel near the bevel will be thinned down successively, which only leads to a superbly thin bevel with the last stone, who only needs very little work to do so: I have my doubts, as this method of honing on convex stones requires more experience than even the undoubtful experience needing process of honing on flat stones. As a matter of fact this process, as far as I know, is only used by knifemakers, knivegrinders and barbers. so basically he tells us, that we normal dudes do not know enough/have not had the years of training required to hone on convex stones

The razor, by far, does not hold an edge needed for use after the sole usage of stones; the sweeping/stroking/stropping god damn, there is no really good English word for that - all of us agree on stropping, so most likely stropping is the best translation has to happen, which polishes the cutting edge, meaning it removes the last bits of roughness left behind by the stones.
This work, as it is well known, is done by using the so called pull-off strop or hanging - here again there is no English translation for this other than leather strop strop, which is made from a veal or Russian leather strip, whose fleshside leather has 2 sides is used and beforehand impregnated with a mixture of fine honing or polishing powders and fat. For these compounds/powders polishing red (kolkothar) is used for one side and black lead/graphite I simply do not know which it was, although I'm betting on graphite, this compounds can still be bought today btw. Herold makes them, this typical red and black compound for the other strop side.

Antique Convex Razor Hone & Strop - Patented 1843
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

I came across this for sale listing about a year ago. Prior to that time I had only seen archives of newspapers of the time listing it for sale.

IMG_0185.png

Having become an early modern day hobby practitioner of the razor sharpening techniques cataloged in the German grinders handbook in 1846 (Polytechnische Mitteilunge, volume 3) translation graciously provided above, this hardware piece caught my eye. The German writer describes the use of multiple convexities in stone shapes with increasing fineness of grind as a “very advantageous practice described to be used only by knife makers, knife grinders, and barbers”.

It appears as if the inventor and patent holder of this device, one Wm. D. Boardman, and then a manufacturer, one F. J. Ordway were seeking to present a product that offered those particular European razor sharpening techniques in a singular mobile product.

The 1843 Patent - William D. Boardman
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

IMG_0193.jpeg

IMG_0194.jpeg

Described is a paddle strop like device where adjustable flex steel plate is used to hone a razor in what I call the backbevel area behind the apex. Planning appears to use a paint like semi-solid coating and abrasive mixture, or to have a polished surface coated with an abrasive paste designed for that purpose.

Specific techniques and attached stropping materials are not described in the patent.

A William Dean Boardman from the area is recorded to have passed away in 1854 at the age of 49. My research has not yet uncovered inventor versions of the product or marketing efforts between 1843 and his death.

F. J. Ordway - The American Convex Hone and Razor Strop Combined Product

IMG_0187.jpeg

IMG_0188.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg

IMG_0191.jpeg

My research has not revealed a F. J. Ordway in the area of fabrication. There is property listing the Ordway surname name in Cambridgeport, MA and references to the carpentry craft. The Boston area was known to be a key player in the Industrial Revolution and would be a likely area to seek the manufacture of a unique entrepreneurial offering.

This is the only known (by me) example of this product to survive the test of time. Given that it is remarkably well preserved and found in the State of Vermont, research lead me to a Franklin Ordway who was recorded to have passed away in 1865 at the age of 40. If this gentleman is indeed the hand who sought to manufacture and market this product, one could assume he may have traveled to relatives in Cambridgeport for fabrication and that family back at his home in VT may have hung on to this singular piece over the years for sentimental reasons.

The instructions for the piece read as follows:
Directions for Using.
First, lay the Strop Down upon the table , with No. 1 Hone up, and oil the Hone before using; then hold the Razor with both hands, as you would upon a grindstone, square with the Strop (or at right angles), carrying the Razor towards the edge, and not draw it back, giving it any lateral motion that the operator may see fit. If the razor has been honed up a straight hone heretofore, there is a blunt edge; this will have to be taken down to the convex of the Hone No. 1. When the edge is produced, then apply the Razor to paste No. 2, a few strokes; then to No. 3,—finishing upon No. 4. Use sweet oil upon the Hone, and wipe the hone after using it. Paste in the end of the Strop, but not needed for years.

N.B. (Nota bene, or note well) — ALWAYS STROP YOUR RAZOR AFTER SHAVING, AND YOU WILL HAVE NO DIFFICULTY IN SHAVING.

MY OBSERVATIONS, THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

What an ingenious device seeming to allow users to easily implement the concept of a hollow razor bevel to their razors as cataloged in German writings. One has to admit, the title “The American” is just great marketing. Obviously the example does not offer the multiple curvatures that are part of the original patent but give a more stable honing surface than there might be in an adjustable and flexible piece.

The particular number for sides of the Hone and Strop are indicated upon the box. A jewelers like rouge abrasive still exists in the reservoir end.

Under magnification the Honing surface appears to be a composite coating with abrasive particles as the patent describes. On a flexible surface, I’d expect a cracking problem.

The stropping surfaces are very thin and thought to be leather. Since only one abrasive was included for strop application, it raises some question in my mind as to volume or variance as part of the original manufacture.

Before detractors of the use of a convex hones jump at this singular surviving example as proof of concept failure, we should consider the short life cycles of the time period, as well as things like the American Civil War impact and evolving hair removal technologies brought on by the Industrial Revolution.

If I was of the wealth and mindset to pursue fabrication of a current day tool of similar design it would be:
No 1. - similar shape, with slight cross crowning and cBN abrasive at 3-5k grit
No 2. - 50% reduction in length crowning, slight cross crowning, cBN abrasive at 1µ particle
No 3. - Replaceable ceramic or ultra fine durable synthetic with very slight crown at .5µ particle
No 4. - Replaceable mounted leather strop
Selling price $50, max………. A future?? Uh, I doubt it, but I am available for product testing for anyone of the entrepreneurial mindset to pursue it.

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpeg
    IMG_0189.jpeg
    749.1 KB · Views: 5
Antique Convex Razor Hone & Strop - Patented 1843

I came across this for sale listing about a year ago. Prior to that time I had only seen archives of newspapers of the time listing it for sale.

View attachment 1796371

Having become an early modern day hobby practitioner of the razor sharpening techniques cataloged in the German grinders handbook in 1846 (Polytechnische Mitteilunge, volume 3) translation graciously provided above, this hardware piece caught my eye. The German writer describes the use of multiple convexities in stone shapes with increasing fineness of grind as a “very advantageous practice described to be used only by knife makers, knife grinders, and barbers”.

It appears as if the inventor and patent holder of this device, one Wm. D. Boardman, and then a manufacturer, one F. J. Ordway were seeking to present a product that offered those particular European razor sharpening techniques in a singular mobile product.

The 1843 Patent - William D. Boardman
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

View attachment 1796377

View attachment 1796378

Described is a paddle strop like device where adjustable flex steel plate is used to hone a razor in what I call the backbevel area behind the apex. Planning appears to use a paint like semi-solid coating and abrasive mixture, or to have a polished surface coated with an abrasive paste designed for that purpose.

Specific techniques and attached stropping materials are not described in the patent.

A William Dean Boardman from the area is recorded to have passed away in 1854 at the age of 49. My research has not yet uncovered inventor versions of the product or marketing efforts between 1843 and his death.

F. J. Ordway - The American Convex Hone and Razor Strop Combined Product

View attachment 1796372

View attachment 1796373

View attachment 1796375

View attachment 1796376

My research has not revealed a F. J. Ordway in the area of fabrication. There is property listing the Ordway surname name in Cambridgeport, MA and references to the carpentry craft. The Boston area was known to be a key player in the Industrial Revolution and would be a likely area to seek the manufacture of a unique entrepreneurial offering.

This is the only known (by me) example of this product to survive the test of time. Given that it is remarkably well preserved and found in the State of Vermont, research lead me to a Franklin Ordway who was recorded to have passed away in 1865 at the age of 40. If this gentleman is indeed the hand who sought to manufacture and market this product, one could assume he may have traveled to relatives in Cambridgeport for fabrication and that family back at his home in VT may have hung on to this singular piece over the years for sentimental reasons.

The instructions for the piece read as follows:
Directions for Using.
First, lay the Strop Down upon the table , with No. 1 Hone up, and oil the Hone before using; then hold the Razor with both hands, as you would upon a grindstone, square with the Strop (or at right angles), carrying the Razor towards the edge, and not draw it back, giving it any lateral motion that the operator may see fit. If the razor has been honed up a straight hone heretofore, there is a blunt edge; this will have to be taken down to the convex of the Hone No. 1. When the edge is produced, then apply the Razor to paste No. 2, a few strokes; then to No. 3,—finishing upon No. 4. Use sweet oil upon the Hone, and wipe the hone after using it. Paste in the end of the Strop, but not needed for years.

N.B. (Nota bene, or note well) — ALWAYS STROP YOUR RAZOR AFTER SHAVING, AND YOU WILL HAVE NO DIFFICULTY IN SHAVING.

MY OBSERVATIONS, THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

What an ingenious device seeming to allow users to easily implement the concept of a hollow razor bevel to their razors as cataloged in German writings. One has to admit, the title “The American” is just great marketing. Obviously the example does not offer the multiple curvatures that are part of the original patent but give a more stable honing surface than there might be in an adjustable and flexible piece.

The particular number for sides of the Hone and Strop are indicated upon the box. A jewelers like rouge abrasive still exists in the reservoir end.

Under magnification the Honing surface appears to be a composite coating with abrasive particles as the patent describes. On a flexible surface, I’d expect a cracking problem.

The stropping surfaces are very thin and thought to be leather. Since only one abrasive was included for strop application, it raises some question in my mind as to volume or variance as part of the original manufacture.

Before detractors of the use of a convex hones jump at this singular surviving example as proof of concept failure, we should consider the short life cycles of the time period, as well as things like the American Civil War impact and evolving hair removal technologies brought on by the Industrial Revolution.

If I was of the wealth and mindset to pursue fabrication of a current day tool of similar design it would be:
No 1. - similar shape, with slight cross crowning and cBN abrasive at 3-5k grit
No 2. - 50% reduction in length crowning, slight cross crowning, cBN abrasive at 1µ particle
No 3. - Replaceable ceramic or ultra fine durable synthetic with very slight crown at .5µ particle
No 4. - Replaceable mounted leather strop
Selling price $50, max………. A future?? Uh, I doubt it, but I am available for product testing for anyone of the entrepreneurial mindset to pursue it.
Howdy my friend! Good to see you. Nice write up!

For those fans of the compound hollow bevel…

Naniwa Aotoishi about $60
easy to shape
slurries easy
soft cutter appears finer than the advertised 2k
One side on 12’ radius, 3’ cross crown radius
Other side on 3’ radius, 12’ cross crown radius

Suehiro Gokumyo 20K, $$ one arm and one leg $$
hard surface, very difficult and timely to shape, between a soft ark and a hard ark, gotta go flex diamond
tends to swarf up, I clean with a Naniwa SS nagura
the best polishing finisher I have used. Makes bevel curve transition easier to see.

CV Heljestrand MK32, new to me
shaves but needs work
1-back bevel on 12’ Aotoishi
2-recheck apex on 3’ Aotoishi
3-back bevel again on 12’ Aotoishi to 50% of bevel
4-finishing hone Suhiro 20K for 50% to apex
5-shaped balsa progression to .01 micron cBN
6-flat bench roo

Looks sweet at 80x stereo from top and side.
No resistance push cut on polystyrene foam peanut
Test shave tomorrow.

IMG_2928.jpeg

IMG_2929.jpeg

For those fans of the compound hollow bevel…

Naniwa Aotoishi about $60
easy to shape
slurries easy
soft cutter appears finer than the advertised 2k
One side on 12’ radius, 3’ cross crown radius
Other side on 3’ radius, 12’ cross crown radius

Suehiro Gokumyo 20K, $$ one arm and one leg $$
hard surface, very difficult and timely to shape, between a soft ark and a hard ark, gotta go flex diamond
tends to swarf up, I clean with a Naniwa SS nagura
the best polishing finisher I have used. Makes bevel curve transition easier to see.

CV Heljestrand MK32, new to me
shaves but needs work
1-back bevel on 12’ Aotoishi
2-recheck apex on 3’ Aotoishi
3-back bevel again on 12’ Aotoishi to 50% of bevel
4-finishing hone Suhiro 20K for 50% to apex
5-shaped balsa progression to .01 micron cBN
6-flat bench roo

Looks sweet at 80x stereo from top and side.
No resistance push cut on polystyrene foam peanut
Test shave tomorrow.

View attachment 1796895

View attachment 1796896
Dang thaat a big green brick or rock!

A little more shave testing.
I am really liking these compound hollow bevels.
I’m so glad that somebody bothered to record these sharpening techniques in the mid 19th century. They can even be applied to 21st century “China Wonders”.

IMG_2957.jpeg

Starting a project today I have had planned for a couple of years.
IF/WHEN completed, It will be called…

The Shanghai SuperCurve Seven

Anyone who has ever crafted such asymmetrical junk as these to precision shave pieces knows why I call these things “China Wonders”. In the midst of the efforts required, you always ‘wonder’ why you bought them, and why you do this.

Although likely finished with a belt abrasive from the factory, it is surprising that after some work on a strop, you can actually shave with them. Not a pleasant shave that way, but it can be done.

Curvy rocks can help the craftsman.

IMG_2959.jpeg

Böker 6/8 Pearl - Looked at this a long time before I gave in. Glad I did.
I think a hundred years or so ago, pearl tang inlays from this outfit were more common.

This was the first shave piece that got me looking harder at compound hollowing of a bevel.
At that point I was using stones all shaped up ’long dimension’ on the Jarrod Plate.
I was happy enough with my sharpening at that point to always take delivery of new stuff with a factory edge. Like most often, I shave with them out of the box ‘just to see’, then re-hone.

I had read in Böker literature that they deliver razors with a hollow in the bevel, so I had to put marker on the factory bevel and give it a swipe on one of my stones with the 12’ radius.
Even though this piece has an exceptionally thin grind that one swipe revealed under magnification that the factory grinding was back from the edge by about 50%. There is only one way that could happen…they used more curvy rocks than I do.

I have been neglectful in my use of this piece and it probably only has 5 shaves since that first honing at home. It still gives that shave level to almost abandon a third pass, but it is a little less smooth than I am getting now. I thing I will rework it soon.

IMG_2968.jpeg

IMG_2972.jpeg

IMG_2971.jpeg

Glacial Spearmint is plenty punchy for us mentholheads.

Even though this piece has an exceptionally thin grind that one swipe revealed under magnification that the factory grinding was back from the edge by about 50%. There is only one way that could happen…they used more curvy rocks than I do.
I suspect that they just flex the grind when they set the bevel. This will create a taller bevel.
The problem is that this also leads to really deep striations, and strain hardened steel. So, when you get the razor you need to (i usually need to) remove some steel before the steel behaves as it should.
Nice razor. I like Böker razors.

Have you compared the results from the shaped balsa to e.g. finishing with a few strokes on the flat side of your 20k?
Other than the use of a relatively thin and rigidly flat mounted kangaroo strop, I have not been able to produce superior results from a flat finish…yet. I cannot confirm the perfect flatness of this side since I have not lapped it
In addition to checking and polishing the ’flat’ side of the 20k, I want to polish the flat side of my trans ark to high grit automotive wet/dry (1500) and try that. I suspect something in stone prep or my technique is leading me to not realize a benefit.

Reactions: JPO
3/1/24

Swift, Conclusive, Victory
6/8 Rasoir Sabre France, Gustave Lalune, Veni Vidi Vici
Wickedly thin grinding by Ertan Süer, IMO one of the top modern day craftsmen.
Honed up on 3 radius’ but the extreme thinness makes it hard to distinguish more than 2 under pretty good magnification.
Delightful shaving

IMG_2973.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: JPO
3/1/24

Swift, Conclusive, Victory
6/8 Rasoir Sabre France, Gustave Lalune, Veni Vidi Vici
Wickedly thin grinding by Ertan Süer, IMO one of the top modern day craftsmen.
Honed up on 3 radius’ but the extreme thinness makes it hard to distinguish more than 2 under pretty good magnification.
Delightful shaving

View attachment 1804801
I recently purchased an Ertan Suer myself- won't be the last!

Top Bottom