What's new

Considering a purchase...

...interested in your input.

Okay actually two purchases.

I'm growing tired of lapping/de-swarfing my Naniwas using sandpaper. It's just a messy process and a bit of a pain. So, I'm considering getting a lapping stone/plate. It sounds like the Norton and Naniwa lapping stones are not highly regarded. It sounds like it may be worth a few extra bucks to get a DMT 325. WDYT? As a follow on, for the folks who do go this route, do you prefer the 325 or the 600? I typically use 600 wet/dry sand paper, so I was thinking 600 would be more appropriate, but most discussion seems centered around the 325 for lapping. Do folks use the 325 to lap 10K or even 12K stones? Is there another route I should be considering?

I'm considering the Naniwa 12K to further refine my edges. I have the 3K/8K combo and a 10K. Anyone here use the 12K? Is there much difference between the 10K and the 12K?

U

Utopian

The only grit that DMT declares to be appropriate for lapping hones is the DMTXX 120 grit plate. They consider up to the DMTC 325 grit to be acceptable for water stones. For that reason, I would suggest that you not use a 600 grit DMT for any lapping. If you do so, you risk undercutting the diamonds and causing their release.

Cant you deswarf with a brush of some sort so you don't have to lap? I've heard of people doing this. I've done it a time or two with one of those fingernail scrubs without any noticeable ill effects.

I bought the naniwa lapping stone first, and then found out it was not to my liking.

It does *work, just leaves a rough and unsure finish. Which means it's not perfect or worse you think it is ready and it is not.

So ... Mr. J at this website suggested the Duosharp and it works like a miracle. It was very good advice. It simply leaves the stones perfect. Pricey, but I could not be happier to find a lapping stone that works without question. I use Naniwa stones and a collection of other water stones for knives.

http://thesuperiorshave.com/Hones.html

DMT Duo-Sharp & Duo-Sharp plus Lapping Hones (X-Coarse/Coarse)
Awesome lapping plates for waterstones, Arkansas stones, coticules, etc.
Unimaginably good with Naniwa's Super Stones; if you're using them regularly with
a DMT D8 or D10 "C", prepare to be shocked. So much faster and easier to use
due to those holes and its low weight. DMT's "X" blazingly-fast extra-coarse grade
on one side, the standard lapper "C" coarse grade on the other. Comes with
rubber mat. DMT recommends continuous water during lapping.

Duo-Sharp's interrupted surface allows hone material to fall in 'pockets' and rinse
away. It is our favorite lapping plate by a long mile.

DMT Duo-Sharp W8CXNB 8 x 2.6 x 0.4" (203x67x10mm) Hone
$77.75 In Stock (Price Includes USA Shipping)
(+$5 Shipping to Canada, +$11 to EU/AU/NZ/)

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Cant you deswarf with a brush of some sort so you don't have to lap? I've heard of people doing this. I've done it a time or two with one of those fingernail scrubs without any noticeable ill effects.

For years, I've been using a nagura stone for just this purpose. In fact, it's the only truly practical use I've found for a nagura.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYH0eee5opw[/YOUTUBE]

I use both DMT 325 and sandpaper. I have a brand new 325 and find that the finish it leaves on my coti is a little rough after lapping so after using the DMT i switch to a piece of 600 grit sandpaper to lap the pencil marks off one more time. Usually only takes a few strokes and i am a lot more satisfied with the finish. There is a way to break in your DMT but the process escapes me at the moment.

The Naniwas are not good for lapping?! I've been using mine for a while, and I never knew that there was anything better. Frankly, mine seems to work pretty well with all of my stones -- coticules, Eschers, Japanese natural stones, other Naniwas. What's not to like about them? Just wondering.

If you're interested, So Yamashita swears by the Atoma lapping plates, but each one costs about as much as another Japanese stone, so I've stayed away from them. Anyone else like Atoma? If so, what's the big difference about them?

I have a DMT D8C and if I'm not careful it will get stuck to the plate and become difficult to remove. If I buy another for lapping it will have recesses or reliefs to relieve suction so they won't stick together.

I'm sure its not correct but I have a very fine coticule slurry that I use as a scrubber on my Naniwas to unclog them and I have not noticed any problems.

I have a DMT D8C that I use to lap my Nortons and Naniwa 12kSS and it works great. Just do it under running water and the sticking is really no problem. It also works great for taking chips, frowns, etc. Out of razors quickly. The D8C is a very useful piece of equipment.

Top Bottom