What's new

Gonna buy a lapping/flattening plate

Decided to step up from the mess of SIC and WD sandpaper; going to buy a lapping plate. Question is: what is the most versatile item to purchase? I will use this to flatten a wide variety of hones:
coticules, Arkansas, Slate, synthetics. Pretty much the whole catalog.
Atoma 140 seems to get a lot of love as do some DMT and Naniwa plates. Any suggestions?

Atoma 400 or 600. My Atoma 1200 will develop too much suction to the stone in my opinion.
I might use the 1200 just to condition the surface after coarser lapping.

Arks will wear most diamond plates to a significant degree.

I have a bunch of plates in varying degrees of wear, maybe 6 or 8 right now.
I give worn plates away sometimes because the clutter gets out of hand.

The worn Atoma 140 and 400x get used daily.
Fresh 140x plates for new very hard stones needing a lot of material to be removed.
Fresh 400x plates get moved in once in a while, when the worn plates become way too slow.

If I had to buy one plate and one plate only - I'd choose the 400x Atoma.

I lap a lot of stones quite often so I go through 140x plates regularly but the 400x plates hang in there for a while.

When I had DMT plates I preferred the duo-fine with the interrupted surface over the diafine. Both worked though.
I still have a duofine actually, 200/325x version. Still works but it is sorta slow now.

Depends on what you plan to do with the plate. If you are flattening or restoring eBay stone and will be removing a lot of material, go with a 140 plate. If just re-surfing re-freshing stones a 400 or 600.

Which plate you buy does not matter… that much. I have all the big name brands and eBay no name Chinese plates and they all work about equally as well, many of my plates are decades old.

Arks will trash a plate, any plate in a hurry. For Arks use loose Silicone Carbide, Wet & Dry and or a dual grit Carborundum stone.

You can buy a 140 plate from Chef Knives to Go for $35 and a 400/1k for $30, I have both and they have lapped many, many stones. I also have all the Atomas and they work just as well, last just as long for 3 times the cost.

I have a DMT interrupted 325/600 and a cheap Chinese 400/100 diamond plate. Both wok well enough without spending a ton. Got the DMT at a garage sale for 20 bucks.

Curious…what do you use on Arks? I have a few that will need work in the foreseeable future.

Top Bottom