What's new

Considering a coticule.

That and a dB is typically useless when not used in context with something else. Unless, for example, it's dB SPL. But your pads are used in context, as it will take the original signal and pad it by 5, 10, 15dB.

Just something that makes me laugh when used out of context.

Well if you have any good work horse, newby friendly, "first hone" appropriate coti's laying around collecting dust... I could give it a home in the great white north. ;)

I have a few extra cotis that i would rather not part with at the moment. But...I will send you one to try if you like. Keep it as long as you want and decide for yourself if it is for you. It is a glued combo, meaning they glued a coti and a BBW together. It measures almost 7" long and about 1 3/4" wide. I have a Cotigura stone (Slurry Stone) for it but it is not a combo slurry stone. Maybe these guys can tell you how to raise a slurry on the BBW side without the stone. Here is a pic of it. Let me know what you think, I can ship it out monday. THose are not cracks in the pic they seem to be veins because when i rake my fingernail across it i feel nothing.

View attachment 134015

Last edited:
Bill that is a very very generous offer, but in all honesty, I will be getting a Coti. Might just have to wait until after Christmas as I'm not allowed to make item purchases until then... perhaps the OP is a little more on the fence?

Plus I'd hate to make you ship a rock to Canada... lol

Top notch group around here, glad to be a part of it.

Bill that is a very very generous offer, but in all honesty, I will be getting a Coti. Might just have to wait until after Christmas as I'm not allowed to make item purchases until then... perhaps the OP is a little more on the fence?

Plus I'd hate to make you ship a rock to Canada... lol

Top notch group around here, glad to be a part of it.

If you reconsider let me know. :thumbup1:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That and a dB is typically useless when not used in context with something else.

True. A dB is a pure, dimensionless number. We usually measure things in dBm.

And what a great offer from Walker. :thumbup1: Firstest with the mostest.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the unexplained acronym BBW? I have a coticule and the backing plate is slate or some other stone that is not useful for honing.

BBW means...

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the unexplained acronym BBW? I have a coticule and the backing plate is slate or some other stone that is not useful for honing.

BBW means...

Belgian blue whetstone. Some cotis have a bbw backing either naturally or glued combo like your's. They will also use slate as a backing to provide support for the coti because it's too fragile without it.

www.coticule.be has everything you'll ever need to know about the cotis and bbw and well and a host of other information like Jnats and honing strokes!

Belgian blue whetstone. Some cotis have a bbw backing either naturally or glued combo like your's. They will also use slate as a backing to provide support for the coti because it's too fragile without it.

www.coticule.be has everything you'll ever need to know about the cotis and bbw and well and a host of other information like Jnats and honing strokes!

Point of clarification: BBW is Belgian blue whetstone, but not all of this blue stone is actually BBW. More generally, the blue stone is referred to as Belgian blue schist. That stone with high enough garnet content to function as a whetstone is referred to as BBW. The blue schist found on natural combinations is always BBW, but the blue schist found on glued combination stones is not necessarily BBW. Tangentially, around 10-15 years ago, Ardennes-Coticule (the only extant coticule mining company) started using Portuguese slate instead of blue schist for backing (except for natural combinations, of course) because it turned out to be more economically feasible.

Right now I have the Norton set with a C12k for my honing needs. I have been getting pretty good results with this set up. You know how it is; I am looking to getting a different stone and have been doing a lot of reading about coticules.

If I do go ahead with this, one question is, will I still need another finishing stone ? The reason for the question is I see that it is rated to roughly 8K. I have shaved off the Noton 8K and while it is possible I don't care all that much for it. It's not as comfortable an edge as what the Chinese stone can give.

I recently bought my second coticule, the first was 50 x 150 mm, the most recent is 40 x 175 mm. I am still on the learning curve but I've had much better results with the narrower, longer hone. Most of my razors are curved to some degree and this does a much nicer job and is easier for me to use as well.

As for finishing I am still improving my finishing but I am shaving off coticule edges successfully. I have a CrOx balsa strop and a good leather strop. Still experimenting but I recommend starting with the coti and getting good at that before you add other finishers if ever.

I know you guys are probably tired of newbie coticule questions, but I'm approaching honing stage soon, and I really like the idea of having one natural stone that I learn and become used to as I go.

It sounds like, from what I am reading on some coticule threads, that all the honing from start to finishing stage can be done on the same stone?

If this is what I want to do, should I go with one of the natural combo stones?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

... and I really like the idea of having one natural stone that I learn and become used to as I go.

It sounds like, from what I am reading on some coticule threads, that all the honing from start to finishing stage can be done on the same stone?

From my personal experience using my coti, yes you can do all the honing (bevel setting and polishing) on a single stone. All you really need is a coti that is flat and edges chamferred to reduce the chances of catching the edge of the blade as you hone. You don't need to pay extra for a combo unless you intend on using the BBW side. I rarely use my BBW mostly because I don't have a BBW slurry stone and I'm not sure about mixing the slurry. It only takes a few minutes to set the bevel on a coti. I like to take my spines though so the slurry doesn't cause too much hone wear because it will do just that.

I know you guys are probably tired of newbie coticule questions, but I'm approaching honing stage soon, and I really like the idea of having one natural stone that I learn and become used to as I go.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Yes, and yes. The only thing that would be a real pain to do on your Coticule is heavy repair work like working out chips, but if you have healthy razors then it's more than suitable for the task. Read up on coticule.be, and IMHO a combo stone is definitely worth it. I've been experimenting with the BBW side of my combo and it's providing a super sharp edge. Some people are finishing up research on the BBW side as well, and have reported using the stone to great success. Just remember that there is a learning curve, and that it is a skill you must practice. Results will not be handed to you.

Yes, and yes. The only thing that would be a real pain to do on your Coticule is heavy repair work like working out chips, but if you have healthy razors then it's more than suitable for the task.

Thanks for the reply... yeah, I'm starting with razors in good shape... I'm just going to be honing to keep them sharp. I'll be reading up on it.

Thanks again.

Yes, and yes. The only thing that would be a real pain to do on your Coticule is heavy repair work like working out chips, but if you have healthy razors then it's more than suitable for the task. Read up on coticule.be, and IMHO a combo stone is definitely worth it. I've been experimenting with the BBW side of my combo and it's providing a super sharp edge. Some people are finishing up research on the BBW side as well, and have reported using the stone to great success. Just remember that there is a learning curve, and that it is a skill you must practice. Results will not be handed to you.

I took out a 0.5mm-1.0mm deep chip on my Tanifuji not too long ago, and those Japanese razors have pretty hard steel. It didn't take me very long either. Just don't be afraid of using pressure. I think the key to using a coticule well is knowing when and where to use pressure and dilution.

I took out a 0.5mm-1.0mm deep chip on my Tanifuji not too long ago, and those Japanese razors have pretty hard steel. It didn't take me very long either. Just don't be afraid of using pressure. I think the key to using a coticule well is knowing when and where to use pressure and dilution.

Ah, I stand corrected. I feel as though I'm always learning something new about Coticules.

Top Bottom