What's new

Consider ordering take out from your fav restaurants

Pork Nachos and a Margarita to wash them down.

16020269585364204999020000621804.jpg

My (normal) job is regional and (usually) means a fair bit of travel and I always fly Singapore Airlines. I also fly a lot for leisure and if long haul I have enough points to get Business Class, and I miss the experience.

So SQ have started doing deliveries of Business and First Class meals for 2 - passenger numbers are down 98% yoy so they need to think of ways to boost revenue and keep the catering staff in jobs. They have also had two A380 Dining Experiences where you could go to Changi, get on an A380 and have a meal, places sold out in 30 mins(!)

I am thinking of having the Singapore to Paris meal next week, will let you know how we get on!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I patronized Tinos Greek restaurant this week. I bought a gyro wrap. Don't make me pronounce that properly. I think there is a whole thread somewhere on the subject.

So last Monday was my dad's 80th and obviously we could not get back to UK for it (well, we could have but I don't fancy 14 days quarantine in a hotel bedroom on return!) so I sent him Hawksmoor At Home. Hawksmoor is a small chain of epic steak restaurants, mainly in London where the original (and best one) is at Spitalfields, but also in Manchester and Edinburgh, and I just checked their website, one in New York 109 E 22nd Street apparently.

The box arrived as ordered, and contained 2 lagers, a pre-mixed Old Fashioned and a bottle of Portuguese red. 2 British 300g rib eyes, oven chips, creamed spinach, bone marrow and Medeira jus, and for dessert sticky toffee pudding and clotted cream (of course!).

I'll call him later to find out how it went, but these are before and after shots.
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Tonight I patronized a small local Thai restaurant. I walked in and told them my order was to go and gave them my name. They asked my if I wanted their versus of hot sauce. I asked them to tell me how to speak hot sauce in Thai. They did...I repeated it back to them in my best Texas accent and they doubled my spring roll order and added rice.

....what???
20201210_205506.jpg

Tonight I patronized a small local Thai restaurant. I walked in and told them my order was to go and gave them my name. They asked my if I wanted their versus of hot sauce. I asked them to tell me how to speak hot sauce in Thai. They did...I repeated it back to them in my best Texas accent and they doubled my spring roll order and added rice.

....what???
View attachment 1193520
Did you throw a y’all on the end?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I miss the afternoons, sitting at the bar of the East Chatham Food Company, drinking my coffee and reading my book. The conviviality of the tavern is not easily replaced.

Fortunately, they offer wonderful takeout fare, which I order often. It tastes as good, but somehow, just doesn't feel as good.

And, yes, I tip extra.
I had to look up "conviviality". A good word. I'll try and use it in my next conversation while eating out...lol.

...thanks.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
So last Monday was my dad's 80th and obviously we could not get back to UK for it (well, we could have but I don't fancy 14 days quarantine in a hotel bedroom on return!) so I sent him Hawksmoor At Home. Hawksmoor is a small chain of epic steak restaurants, mainly in London where the original (and best one) is at Spitalfields, but also in Manchester and Edinburgh, and I just checked their website, one in New York 109 E 22nd Street apparently.

The box arrived as ordered, and contained 2 lagers, a pre-mixed Old Fashioned and a bottle of Portuguese red. 2 British 300g rib eyes, oven chips, creamed spinach, bone marrow and Medeira jus, and for dessert sticky toffee pudding and clotted cream (of course!).

I'll call him later to find out how it went, but these are before and after shots.View attachment 1184977View attachment 1184981
You’re a good son Rush. My wife died recently so I’m considering traveling. If I get out to Singapore I’ll give a shout...cheers mate.

I agree. While I enjoy a lot of different Chinese dishes. These 3 are pretty classic.

This place has been around for years. I remember going to this place with my parents as a teenager. Food still tastes as good there as it did back then.

I told them this last year. They said it's because they still have the same cooks working there.

I was kind of surprised to hear that since it was 30yrs ago.

Top Bottom