What's new

Conflicted on getting a SE Razor

Hi,

I joined the forum today with the main goal to research what razor would be an 'upgrade' to my Merkur 34C double edge razor. I did create a post on that forum asking for suggestion but while researching the topic more some people seems to suggest for my current shaving habits (once a week on average), a SE may be a better fit. My main issue(s) with the Merkur is the lack of close shaves. This could be because of how often I shave, sometimes going close to 2 weeks before shaving.

I have spent slightly more time researching DE's so know pretty much next to nothing about SE's. However, the 2 SE's that immediately caught my eye were the Supply and RazoRock Hawk v3. Both of them are within my budget but I am totally open to suggestions here. The Supply seems more beginner friendly since it comes with its own blades but I have no idea what kind of blades would be good for the RazoRock. I think (and I may be totally off base) that I want an aggressive blade for a closer shave but am not sure.

So what do you guys think? Input will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Buy a vintage Schick type G injector and give it a try. These can be had cheap and are a good way to test the waters. Blades can be found at Longs/CVS and Amazon. If you like it then you can plunk down the cash for a Supply.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I don't have either razor, but I do have MANY vintage injectors (which is what the Supply razor is, albeit a modern incarnation), and I wholeheartedly recommend an injector. The blades last a good long time, they are easy to load, and I get great shaves from my vintage injectors. I like both DE and SE's but based on your shaving schedule, I would definitely go with an SE. Hopefully someone can weigh in on the Supply -- I'd also recommend a vintage Schick/Eversharp injector -- vintage will be cheaper (I'm sure), and you'll have a whole host of people who can tell you what it shaves like (at least for them).

If you're open at all to vintage, let us know and some (probably a lot) of us will weigh in with recommendations on models.

I don't have either razor, but I do have MANY vintage injectors (which is what the Supply razor is, albeit a modern incarnation), and I wholeheartedly recommend an injector. The blades last a good long time, they are easy to load, and I get great shaves from my vintage injectors. I like both DE and SE's but based on your shaving schedule, I would definitely go with an SE. Hopefully someone can weigh in on the Supply -- I'd also recommend a vintage Schick/Eversharp injector -- vintage will be cheaper (I'm sure), and you'll have a whole host of people who can tell you what it shaves like (at least for them).

If you're open at all to vintage, let us know and some (probably a lot) of us will weigh in with recommendations on models.

Thanks for the input.

In this context, does Vintage mean old or is it more of style preference? Or both? I don't know much about the vintage style(s) but some of them are fairly gaudy looking to me. I am more of a clean/simple look person which is why I think the look of the Supply razor is appealing. Definitely a personal preference here and no intent to pick on people who like that look.

As far as my shaving schedule goes, yeah, I am never going to be a daily shaver. At most I expect to shave twice a week but honestly it will be closer to a weekly thing.

It pretty much means old, but there are some that are not too old looking. Below is a Personna Injector razor which is adjustable. I think the Supply was modeled after that razor. By the way, I do like my Supply, I just can't tell if it is right for you.
20200305_100232.jpg

It pretty much means old, but there are some that are not too old looking. Below is a Personna Injector razor which is adjustable. I think the Supply was modeled after that razor. By the way, I do like my Supply, I just can't tell if it is right for you.View attachment 1083953
I can definitely go for a look like that. But yeah, the Supply does look like it was modeled based on this.

This may be a simple question but are the 'injectors' basically named after how the blades are loaded into the razor? If yes, it does seem like something that could make things easier for me. The other razor I had looked at, RazoRock Hawk 3, is not an injector, right?

I have no idea if the Supply is right for or not. And even if I go for it, how different is the Alloy from the Stainless Steel model. Ha ha. Way too many options.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The older versions; like Injectors and Micromatics: can be found on Buy/Sell/Trade or the bay or crafter sites for less than AC format razors and their blades are both less expensive and easier to find.

Yes, they are named for how the blade is injected or pushed into the razor. The alloy that Supply and most other makers use it zamak. That is the same stuff the head on your current razor is made of. If you take care of the razor it can last for many years.

Here is how most all injectors are loaded. The Supply can also be loaded by removing the baseplate.

That razor is probably a type G.

Last edited:
Looks can be deceiving. The sleekest, most futuristic vintage SE razor was the Personna Injector, which looks like a million bucks but shaves like a butter knife. Well, not quite that badly, but it's just not a good razor for someone new to SE - the angle is not intuitive at all and the ergonomics are terrible. It was the star of a fairly well-known Noxema shave cream ad in my youth.

I'd second the suggestion that you find a good example of a Schick injector and give it a whirl. SE shaving employs a different shave angle than you are used to with DE, so there is a learning curve, but it's not hard to get the hang of it. Study a few of the Schick threads in this forum; the general consensus is that the models that came out after the Type I (that's a capital i) are milder and the models that preceded the I were more aggressive. The I hits the sweet spot for me.

I think the Type I is also a fine looking razor and not so old fashioned. But then I'm not so young anymore.
20200306_131537.jpg

Last edited:
There are threads on each letter injector. They are not necessarily more mild as the letters get higher. My I is as "aggressive" as my E and G. Same with the J I have. There are different versions of the letters and they are VERY different from each other.

The RR Hawk V3 uses an AC blade. That is my favorite format. It's the same as an injector, just wider. The blades are readily available. They pretty much load like a DE. Take it apart, put the blade in and screw it back down. HTH.

There are threads on each letter injector. They are not necessarily more mild as the letters get higher. My I is as "aggressive" as my E and G. Same with the J I have. There are different versions of the letters and they are VERY different from each other.

The RR Hawk V3 uses an AC blade. That is my favorite format. It's the same as an injector, just wider. The blades are readily available. They pretty much load like a DE. Take it apart, put the blade in and screw it back down. HTH.

What exactly does AC stand for in this context?

Also, the RR Hawk V3 looks like a nice razor. I have been reading around for the last few hours and another razor/blade combo that seems to be liked by a lot is the SE1 and Proline blades. I know that is going to run me close to $200 but I am looking to celebrate myself getting a new job with a new razor. A nice razor also adds utility so I can justify it in my head better .. ha ha.

For Artist Club blades, it doesn't get any better than the Schick Proline, in my opinion. Can't go wrong with an Above The Tie SE1, if you can afford it.

AC stand for Artist Club if I am not mistaken.

I recently purchased a supply in ss from another member and on here. I took a few days before I tried it because I wanted to make sure I had time. The angle is slightly different and I went slow on the first shave. There is a little more blade feel than I was used to from most of the the de that I have tried. I was also using the two for base plate. (34C, DE89, Parker open comb, various vintage Gillettes) This was my first time shaving with a se.

Final verdict amazing razor great shave. No nicks, cuts, weepers or any negative feelings. I can tell that I shaved but not pain or irritation.

That being said, I am sure the reason the guys sold it to me was because it wasn’t his favorite. I am not sure that it will be my daily driver but as of right now, it will be in my lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have spent slightly more time researching DE's so know pretty much next to nothing about SE's. However, the 2 SE's that immediately caught my eye were the Supply and RazoRock Hawk v3. Both of them are within my budget but I am totally open to suggestions here. The Supply seems more beginner friendly since it comes with its own blades but I have no idea what kind of blades would be good for the RazoRock. I think (and I may be totally off base) that I want an aggressive blade for a closer shave but am not sure.

So what do you guys think? Input will be appreciated.
I think either razor would be a good choice you are looking at for a modern new SE razor. You might find that some of the vintage razors will give just as good a shave or better, trying to find the perfect vintage SE razor is hard because they all have strengths and weakness. I use GEM & Schick razors and I just really enjoy the shaves they deliver, I have modern razors and find they are not better at all on the DE side. People say there are not that good a selection of blades for SE and that is true and that is a blessing also. My first SE was a Schick E2 (excellent upper mid range aggressive razor)I bought at Antique store for $8.00 dollars and bought some vintage blades (that was a mistake- they had deteriorated over the last 50 years) I recommend buy new blades for a vintage razor. Schick makes excellent razors and Personna injector blades are very sharp and last. Gem Personna SS PTFE blades are some of the sharpest made world wide and will out last most blades IMO. For a smoother injector blade you can purchase Schick blades that are very nice to use, they come in injector magazines of 7 and are yellow packaged on Amazon. I do prefer the Gem razors a little more over the Schick razors but use both systems every week. Of my collection of razors I have 60% SE and 40% DE and like that combination.
Have some great shaves!

I know it is expensive but what do you guys think of the ATT SE1 as a first SE razor for me? Also, I am curious where most folks but the Schick Proline AC blades? Do not seems to be available very easily.

Purchase a vintage Schick first and see if you like the SE. Many for sale on Etsy or the Bay at a reasonable price. Injector blades available on Amazon, the Bay or Etsy. I would recommend a post ‘72 Type L or Type M or Type N. If you like any of those then go for a Supply or an AC type razor.

I know it is expensive but what do you guys think of the ATT SE1 as a first SE razor for me? Also, I am curious where most folks but the Schick Proline AC blades? Do not seems to be available very easily.
IMHO its pretty heavy. The head is pretty big. It was my first but once I tried some others I got rid of it. Its a quality razor, just not for me

Top Bottom