What's new

Confession

I have a confession...

Last week I had to travel due to a death in the family.
I had not time to forward a few blades in the mail like I usually do.
I purchased a Gillette Fusion Proglide Manual Flex Ball, (thats to many words for a razor!).

Anyway, I was able to take all my other gear with me, soap, brush, pre/post shave stuff.

So the first day, I unpacked the beast. Six blades... really...
well five are what you shave with and one on top for side burns or trimming.

So after prepping and lathering up I went to town, rinsed and repeated.

I did this for 8 days and I must say I had incredible shaves!

I returned home and went back to my Progress (go to razor for me) and had good shaves.
Not great, but good.

I used the Fusion again today and had an awsome shave!

I still love all my DE's but since the last cart I had used before was the mach 3, and its
been a few years I was amazed at the shave the beast gave me.

I'm wondering if over the past few years I've really learned the art of the prep, which
would allow a good shave from almost any razor.

Have any of you guys had the sort of experience?

-- jtb

Prep, the use of a good brush with a quality soap and cream, followed by a healing after shave/occasional balm; contributes to the quality of my shave regardless of the actual implement I use to remove my whiskers. I alternate between DE, SE, and cart, and attribute consistent success to my pre and post shave routines. I do like some razors better than others.

Prep, the use of a good brush with a quality soap and cream, followed by a healing after shave/occasional balm; contributes to the quality of my shave regardless of the actual implement I use to remove my whiskers. I alternate between DE, SE, and cart, and attribute consistent success to my pre and post shave routines. I do like some razors better than others.

well said

Absolutely eloquently stated. The wet shaving concept must be construed in its entirety. There are different stages in this magnificent ritualistic process. One of the premises that constitutes the fabric of our wonderful community is the fact that YMMV indeed so. Wet shaving is a significantly subjective process. It is an ongoing learning process. It is important to fully experiment and dind that one niche that forms the epicentre of your shaving zen. I have learned this off late, people have varying opinions but the ultimate arbiter is our personal experience which is supplemented by the wealth of knowledge that we have attained from this wonderful community. After a penumbra of pessimistic reviews of the Gillette Good News and Gillette Sensor I had to try it and I found something that works for ME. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We are enriched

Sometimes I am tempted to walk into a shop and buy a cartridge razor. But part of me just doesn't want to know ...

I still use a sensor for hard to reach places. It's a damn fine razor. The cost of these blades keep me from using the new Gillette's & that is a stupid statement on my part because of all the money I spend on creams, brushes, aftershaves. I just grew up using a DE & don't like change. I think you probably get a better shave with less hassle from the new razors but I chose to put up with the hassle of a DE or Straight razor. Old & set in my ways.

This is the way +1
I have a Fusion Pro Glide and it does a great job. But, I don't think I would like to use it everyday.
I enjoy a variety of equipment DE/SE/Str8 included.

I've still got a couple Fusion carts lying around, in case of emergency I guess? No plans on using them, but no sense in chucking them either. May have use for them some day.

Fully agree with the YMMV philosophy around here. I think with good prep and finish a cart can give you as smooth a shave, initially, as any other type of blade. But, I increasingly rely on my straights because I find I get a "longer lasting" shave that way. In fact, most days I use a combination of a str8 and cart. The latter to polish up those pesky neck hairs the st8 just doesn't get for me, but the st8 is usually my primary weapon. So instead of saving money by wet shaving, I think I've hit upon a formula to increase my costs geometrically. But my satisfaction even more so.

Good shaves with a cart, but no fun! I like having developed a skill and having a bit of challenge every day, and the like the variety. Even when you're "dialed in," you never know exactly how things are going to go. I like the less predictable, harmless things in life.

Whatever I shave with on a daily basis is better when I use a Fusion once a week. It seems to be part of the face prep for the rest of the week.

Never used a Fusion; my last cart razor was (is) a Mach 3. Since returning to DE shaving seven months ago, I have sort of forgotten what a Mach 3 shave was like. I do know that I am getting really close and comfortable shaves now that I don't remember getting before. I still have the Mach 3and carts in my medicine cabinet, but I don't think I'll ever use it again. I like the whole DE experience so much.

There have been a couple of times where, for one reason or another, I have been unable to either use or bring my DE, and was forced to rely on a cart. Like OP, I also got an excellent shave, but there was no excitement, no enjoyment, in using the darned plastic contrivence. It was an incredibly close, smooth shave, but I didn't feel invigorated the way I do with a DE. Everything about it felt cheap.

I watched a National Geographic documentary that explained how whatever angle the cart flexes to, the blades are always at the proper angle, so it doesn't take any skill to use it. Between that and the cost, I'll stick to my DEs, like the OP.

Like Tony correctly said, proper prep, technique, and follow-up will improve the quality of the shave, regardless of the implement.

Nothing wrong with using a cart uf it works for you. I also traveled this weekend to AZ and I got so fed up of trying to build lather in hard water that the last day I just used some if my friend's canned goo.

There is something to be said, IME, about the way my skin changed with straights. Micro stubble is a good trade on occasion if it means no carts.

There so expensive too.

I can do cold water, cream, and a DE and get a better shave than a cart because it's certain to be less irritating and the shave will last longer. Straights need more finesse of course.

That's just me, but I'd prob try a proglide at some point.

What I do know is just because I made the switch doesn't mean I'm gods gift to men's skin care. When I I've a new recruit to wet shaving a set up I like to remind them even if they go back to carts it would be to their great advantage they kept the use of a brush and shaving cream/soap.

I have to admit I've wondered what a cart shave from a Fusion would be like after DE shaving for 2 years now. My prep and routine has changed so much since my last Fusion shave.

Face mapping, hot towel, good soap or cream, brush, and alum block were not in the old slap the 5 (6?) blade monstrosity across my face and go to work routine.

I won't ever go back, but it's good to know the option is there if needed. Thanks for the post!

There are times, when I'm in a rush, when I will dust off my M3. A little Cremo & M3 chromes the dome quite well & quickly I might add. However, I enjoy the experiance and quality of the traditional wet shave vs the speed of a cart.

Top Bottom