What's new

Comprehensive Guide to Lathering Soaps, Creams, Shavesticks on the face and in a bowl

What do you use to pack it back down with? And the opposite, making a soap out of a shave stick, what do you pack it down with?

I don't actually remember. Just something that's long enough to reach in there, but isn't too wide so it still fits. You also want it to have a flat or round surface at the bottom so that it can actually pack. I think as it got higher and higher up, I started using my finger, but I forget what I did before that.
For sticks into a bowl, it's easier. You just cover the mound of soap with seran wrap and push another bowl of equal size into the soap to form it. Or you can just push it down with your hands.

I would emphasize - use minimal water as hot as you can get it. The brush should feel almost dry when loading the soap onto it, and add water very sparingly when building the lather in the bowl.

This is an excellent and very detailed guide to lathering. Since I only face lather, I never really understood the purpose of a lather bowl. This really helped me see why someone might want one.

I vote for sticky.

This is an excellent and very detailed guide to lathering. Since I only face lather, I never really understood the purpose of a lather bowl. This really helped me see why someone might want one.

I vote for sticky.
I face lather 95% of the time too.
Advantages of face lathering:
Quicker
Less to clean up
Better beard work

Advantages of bowl lathering:
More lather (can't explain why)
Can just scoop the extra lather out of the bowl whenever you want

Very very very nice guide mate!
Thank you :biggrin:

good effort man.

may i suggest you soak the brush for at least 3-5 min and put a couple of drops of water on the soap and let that soak for 5 min also.

i would also suggest you add or dip your tips in the water a couple more times gently and work that lather a bit longer. also for soap load your brush longer. there are gaps in your brush indicating not enough soap, water and not enough building time. looks a bit on the dry side to me, buy that i don't mean you have to add a lot more water, a little more will help plus the soaking of the brush at the start for longer than just thinking what soap your gonna use. i would load the brush for longer, 30-60 sec, spread it on a wet face evenly then go back and load the brush for another 10 sec, spread evenly on face then start dipping tips in water to start building.

it looks a little thin on your face, try for a look like some moist sour cream was spread on your face.

good effort and would be i think even better with just a few little adjustments.

thanks for your time and effort.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it's been helpful. Thank you for the comments.
I would love to add a superlather guide as well to really make this comprehensive, but I've yet to try a superlather :blushing:. Sorry about that. Maybe some day

good effort man.

may i suggest you soak the brush for at least 3-5 min and put a couple of drops of water on the soap and let that soak for 5 min also.

i would also suggest you add or dip your tips in the water a couple more times gently and work that lather a bit longer. also for soap load your brush longer. there are gaps in your brush indicating not enough soap, water and not enough building time. looks a bit on the dry side to me, buy that i don't mean you have to add a lot more water, a little more will help plus the soaking of the brush at the start for longer than just thinking what soap your gonna use. i would load the brush for longer, 30-60 sec, spread it on a wet face evenly then go back and load the brush for another 10 sec, spread evenly on face then start dipping tips in water to start building.

it looks a little thin on your face, try for a look like some moist sour cream was spread on your face.

good effort and would be i think even better with just a few little adjustments.

thanks for your time and effort.

I'll give the different loading tricks a try.
As for the lather on my face, it's on the thin and dry side, cause I was trying to show how I put a layer on first to test, then dip the tips of the brush in water to continue to work the lather if it needs work. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that part
Thanks for the tips though.

Wow.

I wish I would have had this thread available (or found it, at any rate) when I started wetshaving about 4 months ago. That could have REALLY saved me some blood, sweat, and tears when I was experimenting with different soaps, creams, razors, blades, etc. I've finally learned just how important a good lather is.

Awesome review! I'll second the motion to make this post sticky!

Wes

Top Bottom