What's new

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

View attachment 1209646
Razor: RazoRock Lupo 0.95-SB
Blade: Silver Star (6 and retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey Marbled Butterscotch (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Aftershave: Brut Classic

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Initial impression: I like the Lupo 0.95-SB. Definitely the most efficient of the three (0.95, 0.72, DLC) Lupo razors in my Den. Also more efficient than the GC84-SB. More blade feel. A bit more aggressive, but still very smooth.

Keeping it on deck for Sunday - this time with a fresh Feather. 😎

Will post more in depth comments after that shave.

Excellent shave! :cool:

Thanks for the review. Would you agree with Razorock's own scale that it's a bit above Wunderbar?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the review. Would you agree with Razorock's own scale that it's a bit above Wunderbar?

I think that they are 'splitting hairs' (pun intended ;)) to some degree on their efficiency scale.

The Lupo 0.95-SB and the Wunderbar are about the same (to my face) medium-high efficiency. The Lupo seems to be smoother and less prone to bite.

More to follow: Loading the Lupo 0.95-SB with a fresh Feather for today's shave.

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20210117_113355.jpg

Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Ever-Ready 200 (26mm "Manchurian Finest" Knot)
Aftershave: Reuzel
Fragrance: Gucci Guilty EdT

Used the Lupo DLC handle again. Nice balance.

The Feather blade is a very nice match for the 0.95-SB.

Quite smooth and effective using a steep angle. I don't chase BBS but sure got pretty darn close over most of my face.

Used with care and a practiced technique, the Lupo Stainless 0.95-SB will get you consistent, efficient and effective shaves.

All three of the Lupo razors, 0.72-SB, DLC and 0.95-SB, are very good razors - especially for the money. It will be interesting to see how they stack up to the other razors in the Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD) thread.

To see how the 0.95-SB compares to razors priced well above its modest cost, I have the Blackland Razors Brass Blackbird and Wolfman WR2 1.25-SB on deck for the next two shaves. We will see how the Lupo comports itself against what I consider to be two of my best (currently available) DEs.

More to follow. :)

View attachment 1210016
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Ever-Ready 200 (26mm "Manchurian Finest" Knot)
Aftershave: Reuzel
Fragrance: Gucci Guilty EdT

Used the Lupo DLC handle again. Nice balance.

The Feather blade is a very nice match for the 0.95-SB.

Quite smooth and effective using a steep angle. I don't chase BBS but sure got pretty darn close over most of my face.

Used with care and a practiced technique, the Lupo Stainless 0.95-SB will get you consistent, efficient and effective shaves.

All three of the Lupo razors, 0.72-SB, DLC and 0.95-SB, are very good razors - especially for the money. It will be interesting to see how they stack up to the other razors in the Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD) thread.

To see how the 0.95-SB compares to razors priced well above its modest cost, I have the Blackland Razors Brass Blackbird and Wolfman WR2 1.25-SB on deck for the next two shaves. We will see how the Lupo comports itself against what I consider to be two of my best (currently available) DEs.

More to follow. :)

Great review. Always enjoy your comparisons. Out of all your Lupos, which have you enjoyed most or better yet how would you have them ranked. Thanks

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Great review. Always enjoy your comparisons. Out of all your Lupos, which have you enjoyed most or better yet how would you have them ranked. Thanks

Thank you very much.

The DLC and the Stainless 0.72-SB are close in efficiency, and both are exceedingly smooth. The Stainless 0.95-SB is a definite step up in efficiency while still being smooth - albeit not quite as smooth as the DLC or Stainless 0.72-SB. None of the Lupos are what I would call 'aggressive'. The DLC has been in my regular rotation for some time. Based on the two shaves with the Stainless 0.95-SB, it may very well (by virtue of its combination of efficiency and smoothness) be the Lupo I keep in my regular rotation.

All three of the Lupos are very good razors and excellent values.

YMMV :)

Thank you very much.

The DLC and the Stainless 0.72-SB are close in efficiency, and both are exceedingly smooth. The Stainless 0.95-SB is a definite step up in efficiency while still being smooth - albeit not quite as smooth as the DLC or Stainless 0.72-SB. None of the Lupos are what I would call 'aggressive'. The DLC has been in my regular rotation for some time. Based on the two shaves with the Stainless 0.95-SB, it may very well (by virtue of its combination of efficiency and smoothness) be the Lupo I keep in my regular rotation.

All three of the Lupos are very good razors and excellent values.

YMMV :)
Thank you, I appreciate your insight on the Lupos. This cleared it up for me. Most likely I will grab the .95 sometime in the near future. If I like The Blackbird Ti,... How close is the .95 close in terms of efficiency?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thank you, I appreciate your insight on the Lupos. This cleared it up for me. Most likely I will grab the .95 sometime in the near future. If I like The Blackbird Ti,... How close is the .95 close in terms of efficiency?

Both (Stainless and Brass) of my Blackbirds are elegant, very efficient and exceedingly smooth shavers. In order to provide the most accurate comparison, the Brass Blackbird is on tap for Monday's shave. I also have the Wolfman WR2 1.25-SB on tap for Tuesday's shave.

I will offer additional thoughts after each of those shaves. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm continuing to enjoy your reviews, David. Your insight is appreciated by me, & no doubt, countless others. I look forward to reading your thoughts after your shaves with the Blackbird & WR2.

Thank you very much, my friend.

Going to be a very interesting next few shaves. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shaved with the Blackland Brass Blackbird yesterday.

The Blackbird brings elegance and ease to a very efficient, smooth and effective shave. It effortlessly mows down my 'barbed wire' whiskers.

The Lupo 0.95-SB is a very good razor and a very good value and it will remain in my Den. It is a very valid choice for anyone who wants an efficient razor but does not want to invest the extra funds required to get a Blackbird.

The Blackbird takes things to another level of refinement and feel. A very satisfying experience. It is an incredible razor and is a prominent member of that select group of razors I designate as my 'Top Tier DEs'. :thumbup:

YMMV :cool:

Shaved with the Blackland Brass Blackbird yesterday.

The Blackbird brings elegance and ease to a very efficient, smooth and effective shave. It effortlessly mows down my 'barbed wire' whiskers.

The Lupo 0.95-SB is a very good razor and a very good value and it will remain in my Den. It is a very valid choice for anyone who wants an efficient razor but does not want to invest the extra funds required to get a Blackbird.

The Blackbird takes things to another level of refinement and feel. A very satisfying experience. It is an incredible razor and is a prominent member of that select group of razors I designate as my 'Top Tier DEs'. :thumbup:

YMMV :cool:
I imagine the blackbird has a bit more blade feel?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I imagine the blackbird has a bit more blade feel?

A bit, yes. The Blackbird SB and the Lupo 0.95-SB are closer in blade feel than you might think.

I'm slotting the Blackbird Stainless OC in for today to gain that perspective.

Wolfman is on tap for Wolfman Wednesday.

Then I will shave with my personal top contenders in the $75 - $125 range and should be able to provide additional insight regarding performance and value. :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The Blackbird SB and the Lupo 0.95-SB are closer in blade feel than you might think.

I sold my Blackbird because it was just too rough on my face to use regularly. As much as I loved the super close shave, once I got my Wolfman and Charcoal Goods, the Blackbird just got spit out the back of the pack. I was considering getting a 95 Lupo. Razorock fixed a lot of the complaints I had with the DLC Lupo. Since I prefer to lean my razors on the side between passes, the round edges really bothered me. And it was a bunch too mild. But if the 95 Lupo has the blade feed like a Blackbird, Im out. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I sold my Blackbird because it was just too rough on my face to use regularly. As much as I loved the super close shave, once I got my Wolfman and Charcoal Goods, the Blackbird just got spit out the back of the pack. I was considering getting a 95 Lupo. Razorock fixed a lot of the complaints I had with the DLC Lupo. Since I prefer to lean my razors on the side between passes, the round edges really bothered me. And it was a bunch too mild. But if the 95 Lupo has the blade feed like a Blackbird, Im out. :)

Did you have the Blackbird OC or SB? To me, the Blackbird SB gets the amount of blade feel to a very acceptable level. Never considered it 'rough'.

However.....it has been awhile since I've used my OC plate. To be thorough, that is an omission I shall rectify today. :)

Did you have the Blackbird OC or SB? To me, the Blackbird SB gets the amount of blade feel to a very acceptable level. Never considered it 'rough'.

However.....it has been awhile since I've used my OC plate. To be thorough, that is an omission I shall rectify today. :)
I am really looking forward to your review of the Blackbird OC. I have this razor and am interested to see if you find the SB to be significantly smoother. I have wanted to order the SB polished plate, but they have not been in stock for some time.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I am really looking forward to your review of the Blackbird OC. I have this razor and am interested to see if you find the SB to be significantly smoother. I have wanted to order the SB polished plate, but they have not been in stock for some time.
David will speak for himself; I found the OC less comfortable as compared with the SB. The SB with a Feather at a steep angle is shaving nirvana.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shaved with the Blackland Razors Stainless Blackbird OC loaded with a fresh Feather blade (full kit and pic listed here: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/blackland-brotherhood-b.494998/post-11088393).

Did three passes + touch-up with zero nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Stainless Blackbird OC is an incredible razor. The OC takes the efficiency of the SB up a notch. You get some additional blade feel but, when used with a steep angle (as I do), it is still very smooth. The Blackbird is definitely one of my 'Top Tier' DE razors.

Kind of unfair to compare the Blackbird (and, tomorrow, The Wolfman WR2) with the $75 - $125 razors in this comparison. My goal in doing so is to see which of the mid-priced razors in this comparison provide a glimpse of the shaving greatness available with true high end razors.

Finally, to answer the question several of you have asked: Yes, the Blackbird OC is more efficient than the Lupo 0.95-SB. :cool:

Just my opinions and YMMV. :)

Top Bottom