What's new

Colonial General V2 Revised

Once I can figure out a handle to get, I'll likely buy a General V-2 head (the stock handle aesthetic just isn't for me, YMMV). I love my Vector, but at last I think my eye is starting to wander a bit, hahahaha.

Reactions: AQU
Among my AC blade razors, the stainless V1 General has emerged as my favorite. At times, I've thought the top of the heap was the Asylum RX, Mongoose, ATT SE2, Ikon MR SE or the Vector. After several recent shaves with the General, using a Feather Pro Super, I'm now convinced it's my favorite. The lack of blade feel, coupled with efficiency, and the ability to use a Pro Super, makes it most impressive. I enjoy the Asylum, but it's challenging unless I use a guarded blade. The Vector is just not efficient enough for me. The SE2 is close to the General, but not quite. I haven't tried a V2 General, but don't feel a need to.
My V2 General is great with a Feather Super. It’s my preferred AC razor. A good friend has a V1 General and also feels as I do.

I have an old mans grizzled beard with a spot on my neck that has a swirl pattern and the whiskers lay flat. Its a recipe for ingrown hairs if I go after a BBS shave so I quit chasing BBS years ago. The General V1 paired with a Feather Super has provided effortless BBS shaves and I wasn't even trying. Plus no ingrowns in the trouble spot.

Why on earth I didn't try this blade / razor combo a year+ back is beyond me. :a52:

Overall I like the Asylum but its just too wild to use aggressive blades. I also don't like the blade stops on the Asylum. They are completely unnecessary from a design / safety standpoint and only serve to narrow the cutting edge of the AC blade.

I'm looking forward to the V2 head arriving. I am hoping for a slightly lighter and more maneuverable head that provides a similar shave to the V1. I polished my V1 head and if the V2 provides the same great shave I'll polish that one as well.

@JoeLr , you mentioned you were looking for a handle. If you happen to have an ATT Atlas handle I've found it pairs well with the Gen V1 head. While I havent tried one yet, I've been jealous of the Timeless TRH6 handle that @never-stop-learning has posted recently. The V2 head may finds its way on top of one of those handles. 🙂

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have an old mans grizzled beard with a spot on my neck that has a swirl pattern and the whiskers lay flat. Its a recipe for ingrown hairs if I go after a BBS shave so I quit chasing BBS years ago. The General V1 paired with a Feather Super has provided effortless BBS shaves and I wasn't even trying. Plus no ingrowns in the trouble spot.

Why on earth I didn't try this blade / razor combo a year+ back is beyond me. :a52:

Overall I like the Asylum but its just too wild to use aggressive blades. I also don't like the blade stops on the Asylum. They are completely unnecessary from a design / safety standpoint and only serve to narrow the cutting edge of the AC blade.

I'm looking forward to the V2 head arriving. I am hoping for a slightly lighter and more maneuverable head that provides a similar shave to the V1. I polished my V1 head and if the V2 provides the same great shave I'll polish that one as well.

@JoeLr , you mentioned you were looking for a handle. If you happen to have an ATT Atlas handle I've found it pairs well with the Gen V1 head. While I havent tried one yet, I've been jealous of the Timeless TRH6 handle that @never-stop-learning has posted recently. The V2 head may finds its way on top of one of those handles. 🙂

It is a match made in Heaven. :)

What are the major differences between the Pro and Pro Super. I have only used the Pro with good results (on Vector and ATT SE1) but no idea about the Super.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Not sure about the physical (if any) differences?

In the Vector, the Super shaves like it's more efficient and smoother at the same time.

I guess I'm a contemporary of yours (age 73) as I also have “old man” whiskers. I have the same type spot below my Adam’s Apple and had the same experience. My General V2, Vector, and SS Hawk V3 all pair beautifully with the Super and shear the whiskers away effortlessly. The only drawback to the blade is that they don’t last near as long as the Prolines I used to use.

I have a bunch of Prolines that I ordered because I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get them at a good price anymore. I like them. But all this talk about the Pro Supers made me order a few from Tryablade. They arrived yesterday and I'll give it a go in my ATT SE1. I'm in my 40s and I have some tough areas to cut.

I have a bunch of Prolines that I ordered because I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get them at a good price anymore. I like them. But all this talk about the Pro Supers made me order a few from Tryablade. They arrived yesterday and I'll give it a go in my ATT SE1. I'm in my 40s and I have some tough areas to cut.
Trust me, it’s nothing like geriatric whiskers! The Super slices through them effortlessly.

Can anyone suggest a good handle, the look of which, matches the General V2 head? I am thinking of maybe getting the head but the look of the handle does not appeal to me.

1593106925095.png

Thanks. And is the General head more polished or matte? Based on the image it looks like the handle is matte and that head is more polished. Or is it just the image playing tricks on me?

I'm sure someone will answer but from everything I've seen it is matte and variously enterprising individuals take the time to get it nice and polished. There are some matte titanium handles out there to pair it with though. I agree that the handles from Colonial are not ideal. I wish they would bring back the handle from the V1 stainless. Simple and to the point.

Top Bottom