What's new

Coffee PIF! - CLOSED

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Time for a review of the Brazil Carmo de Minas in the Full City dark roast....

First of all, thanks for this most generous PIF!

We grinded the beans to a medium ground and then brewed it in a French Press for about 5 minutes. The coffee had a strong bloom indicating freshness. The aroma was very strong.

I would agree with the description that this coffee has a smoothness of it that is missing in a lot of other dark roasts. There was a hint of toastiness at the end, but nothing like the bitterness that you would associate with over-roasted Starbucks coffees. This is a quality product.

My wife and I both strongly prefer dark roasts and french roasts. Our ideal is a very dark roast that only has a hint of bitterness. Typically, we prefer our coffees to be a darker roast than this. In fact, had this been a blind tasting, we would have assumed that this is a medium roast. We are going to experiment with different brewing times and grounding methods to see if we can coax a touch of bitterness and "roastiness" out of it. For those who like smooth medium roasts, this is worth trying. This is ideal for those who like medium-dark roasts.

If our impressions change as we experiment with different brewing techniques, I'll update the review. It usually takes a few brews to "dial in" the coffee to our preferences.

Thanks again!
Brian
Thanks for the review, Brian! I'm glad you find it quality.

I agree about preferring a darker roast. I've wondered whether calling that a "full city" is completely accurate, but I don't know that I have the sort of expertise to make such a comment with any credibility.

That said, I do enjoy this one the way it is. It reminds me of chocolate covered dried plums.

While playing around, you might want to try longer steep time. We actually go 7 or 8 minutes with that Brazil.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I prefer 6-7 days off the roast, might be why you are getting that "toasty" finish. Most roasters say 3, my taste buds say otherwise. The expansive bloom most likely with outgassing, just a guess, would tell me that you are only a few days off the roast. Congratulations on the PIF and thanks for the review.

~Royce
I agree wholeheartedly. I find most coffees peak somewhere around 6-10 days after roasting, with some even later than that. More then once I've not enjoyed a coffee that was only a few days from the roast, but I then loved it a few days or a week later.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
[MENTION=107672]brianjc[/MENTION], how are things going with dialing in the coffee? Any success or tips?

I have increased the brew time and I am now brewing it a little longer than most other coffees. This has made the coffee more full-bodied without introducing too much bitterness. I'd still characterize the brew as a medium-dark brew. For those that like medium-dark brews, this is worth trying. The coffee is very "clean" tasting while still having complexity.

I have increased the brew time and I am now brewing it a little longer than most other coffees. This has made the coffee more full-bodied without introducing too much bitterness. I'd still characterize the brew as a medium-dark brew. For those that like medium-dark brews, this is worth trying. The coffee is very "clean" tasting while still having complexity.

If you are still using a press you should try a 30-45 second bloom with a 4 to 5 minute steep before pressing and serving (4 1/2 to 5 1/2 minutes total time). Give it a stir about mid steep point 3 min +/-. Use a wood or bamboo spoon/paddle.

Top Bottom