What's new

Coffee PIF! - CLOSED

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Does anyone around here like coffee???

Well, let's hope so, because here's a chance to try something new!

I have a couple of friends that have been roasting for a few years or so, and they are making a pretty good go of it as a side business. Beyond our friendship, I have no interest in their business, but I drink their coffee just about every morning. It's good stuff, and I'd like to share it. The only thing I ask in return is that you post your impressions (good or bad, please) in a new thread.

Here's the deal, folks. If you want to enter this PIF, you MUST choose a bean and a roast (if applicable) from what's set out, below. I will choose a winner (totally at random) sometime on Friday afternoon and buy a 12 oz sack of what that winner chose. I have to place the order no later than Friday, so I need a clear choice from each entrant. I'm not going to track you down for a choice. I got CONUS/APO shipping. If you are international, you are welcome to enter, but I can't guarantee when or if it will show up, and I also ask that you pay for the shipping.

I'll get the coffee from them either Tuesday or Wednesday (likely Tuesday), and I should be able to get it in the mail the same day, provided I have shipping information by that time. They'll probably roast on Saturday (maybe Sunday), so you'll get coffee that's only about a week past its roast (assuming CONUS shipping). Not bad!

Depending on responses, I might split the winning sack two or three ways and choose additional winners from those that chose the same thing (again, totally at random, other than selecting for choice). Then again, I might not. Either way the winner(s) should have enough to enjoy several cups.

I've enjoyed all choices (yes, even the decaf). It's good stuff, so you won't go wrong. Their descriptions are fairly accurate (always YMMV), so choose what sounds good to you.

Here are the choices. Cheers!

Available Coffee

Brazil Carmo de Minas (Natural Processed)

This coffees comes from a small, 80 hectare farm (okay, not tiny) located in Carmo de Minas situated just short of a mile above sea level. This farm is equipped with a sustainable water recycling set up used to process the coffee and re-used to irrigate the crop. We have enjoyed roasting this coffee, although it is a bit messier than those clean wet processed coffees – and fun. This coffee comes from our importer’s trade program where they exceed Fair Trade minimums for compensation to the farmers.

Dark (Full City): Coconut milk caramel with dried dark fruit notes and a velvety smoothness.

Rwanda Coffee Villages

This coffees comes from a small processing station in the sub-province of Karenge. The farms processing at this station are located a mile above sea level and grow the Bourbon varietal. This coffee comes from our importer’s trade program where they exceed Fair Trade minimums for compensation to the farmers.

Medium (City +): Dark honey and dried current with hints of baking spice that develop as the coffee cools. This is a bright, clean cup of coffee.

Colombian Inza SWP Decaf

This custom decaf is a blend of current-crop, small-producer coffees from the Inza region of Cauca, south Colombia. The lot was prepared by the importer from a number of different small farms within the region to form the cup. A portion was then sent for water process decaffeination by Swiss Water in Canada. We are particularly pleased with this coffee; and, plan on incorporating into our own drinking coffee.

Medium (City +): Refined sweetness with citrus fruit notes (and a hint of tropical fruits). The body is light and silky.

Dark (Full City): Less sweet than the City +, with notes of dark chocolate and citrus. A touch of honey shows when the coffee cools. A nice juicy body that is a bit heavier than the City + roast.

I'm IN!!

I'll be different and hope for the Rwanda.. But I'll take anything I can get...

The hottest coolest PIF to date.

Thanks.

I'm NOT in but I can say I roast the Brazilian and Rwandan varieties listed (Colombian I stick with non decaf and from the Santa Barbra plantation/estate).

You can't go wrong with any of the choices being offered

You may want to ask the winners if they want their beans ground or whole and if ground, what brew method will they be using so you can get them ground to fit how they will be brewing the beans.

Great PIF Doak, and a great way to get some excitement in the Cafe.... Good job!!!

Mick

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
You may want to ask the winners if they want their beans ground or whole and if ground, what brew method will they be using so you can get them ground to fit how they will be brewing the beans.

I thought about that, to be honest, but quickly realized that could be a logistical nightmare, especially if I wind up splitting the bag. I know that potentially grinding 12 oz of beans is more than I want to handle with my little Hario hand grinder. My friends to grind beans, if requested, but I don't know what they use for a grinder, and I don't know to what extent they customize a grind at this point in their business (I've only ordered whole beans). They only roast about every 2-3 weeks, currently as a side business.

Sorry, folks, but whaddya want for free? :w00t:

By the way, I just finished up a mug of of the Brazilian, and I'm thinking about brewing up a cup of the Rwandan. Yum!

Last edited:
Sorry, folks, but whaddya want for free?

What was I thinking....doh.... $bth_russian-roulette.gif

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
:lol:

No problem. I wish I could better accommodate the winner(s), but I'm only so good! (and more's the pity):thumbup1:

Doak,
I can understand your grinding reluctance. I hand grind with a GSI for one cup at a time.

The first time I decided to try out my Hario Cold Brew pot, I had to hand grind enough to fill that little basket up... I'd have sworn that little basket was hiding the grounds in its cheeks and tricking me into grinding enough to feed a platoon.

I'm in!
Brazil Carmo de Minas (Natural Processed), Dark (whole bean would be excellent)

Their heritage reads like a novella. And the roast is very much my bailiwick.
I'd be pleased to try it and share my impressions. Thanks for the offer!

I'm in Brazil/Dark, I do have a grinder and use a pour over. Hope to try that out. Either way thanks for the PIF!

-Stephen

proxy.php

How can I refuse. Great PIF! Very generous of you, count me in. How about the Rwanda.

~Jim…ah I mean Royce

Wow! What a FANTASTIC PIF!! I'm in!! This coffee fanatic would choose the Rwanda. Thanks for the opportunity!!

- Savager

Top Bottom