What's new

Coffee PIF! - CLOSED

Awesome. I'm in.

Count me in for the Rwanda medium. But if I win I'd like to also buy a Bag of the Brazilian. If that's an option.

Thanks - great Pif!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It does my heart good to see such a response.

No takers on the decaf, huh? Go figure. :biggrin1:

I'll announce the winner tomorrow, so there's still time to get in!

NOT IN, but a great idea for a PIF. Thanks for your generosity, [MENTION=92373]TexLaw[/MENTION].

I've roasted the first two varieties before, and they are both great tasting coffees. The winner is in for a treat.

Sure, I like a free cup of Joe.
I'm also a fan of things Brazilian, so I'll go with that one when I win.
Thanks for the PIF

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Alright, folks. The random number generator has spoken, and the winner is [MENTION=107672]brianjc[/MENTION]! :w00t:

Congratulations! I'll get a sack of the Brazil off to you as soon as I get it in my hot, little hands!

Thank you, everyone who came in. This was fun!

Thank you [MENTION=92373]TexLaw[/MENTION] for a great PIF and congratulations to [MENTION=107672]brianjc[/MENTION].

Congrats [MENTION=107672]brianjc[/MENTION] ... don't stay up nights thinking of the rest of us drinking Folger's :lol:
[MENTION=92373]TexLaw[/MENTION] ... great PIF after all, a man can only have so many soaps and creams ... and without coffee, we wouldn't be awake to shave.

Time for a review of the Brazil Carmo de Minas in the Full City dark roast....

First of all, thanks for this most generous PIF!

We grinded the beans to a medium ground and then brewed it in a French Press for about 5 minutes. The coffee had a strong bloom indicating freshness. The aroma was very strong.

I would agree with the description that this coffee has a smoothness of it that is missing in a lot of other dark roasts. There was a hint of toastiness at the end, but nothing like the bitterness that you would associate with over-roasted Starbucks coffees. This is a quality product.

My wife and I both strongly prefer dark roasts and french roasts. Our ideal is a very dark roast that only has a hint of bitterness. Typically, we prefer our coffees to be a darker roast than this. In fact, had this been a blind tasting, we would have assumed that this is a medium roast. We are going to experiment with different brewing times and grounding methods to see if we can coax a touch of bitterness and "roastiness" out of it. For those who like smooth medium roasts, this is worth trying. This is ideal for those who like medium-dark roasts.

If our impressions change as we experiment with different brewing techniques, I'll update the review. It usually takes a few brews to "dial in" the coffee to our preferences.

Thanks again!
Brian

I prefer 6-7 days off the roast, might be why you are getting that "toasty" finish. Most roasters say 3, my taste buds say otherwise. The expansive bloom most likely with outgassing, just a guess, would tell me that you are only a few days off the roast. Congratulations on the PIF and thanks for the review.

~Royce

Top Bottom