What's new

coarse strainer to get rid of dust / fannings ??

Greetings -

Can anyone recommend a source for a somewhat coarse strainer to separate the last good leaves from the dust / fannings at the bottom of the bag / container?

I'm talking 'bout dry tea here -- not brewed. [<-- edit]

The strainers through which I filter brewed tea are too fine to let any but the finest dust through.

Thanks much.

- Richard

I've been noticing that tea merchants are selling French Presses as tea makers and not just coffee makers.... I haven't tried it out in my press. But then, I won't even make oolong in the same pot that I make darjeeling in. :eek:

I wash it out after every use and when switching from coffee to tea, I give it an extra good washing and sever rinses with boiling water.

Bump to clarify -- what I'd like to do is separate the DRY larger tea leaves from the fannings / dust at the bottom of the bag / container.

This is before brewing.

- Richard

Bump to clarify -- what I'd like to do is separate the DRY larger tea leaves from the fannings / dust at the bottom of the bag / container.

This is before brewing.

- Richard

I think a mesh strainer with the appropriate gauge of mesh would work nicely.

Basically you want something to separate the wheat from the chaff - and this is the best and simplest way I can think of.

At work I make tea with a strainer and give it a little shake before infusing my tea for the first time, which helps minimize the sediment in the brewed tea.

Whatever method you use, it should be relatively gentle, so as not to break up the leaves.

I've actually taken tea into my shop, set up a variable speed fan on low ten feet away, and winnowed it into a large bowl. Works great, and much less risk of breaking the leaves than shaking it around in a strainer.

I just use my pu'er tray:

proxy.php

Give it a gentle tap, and the fine particles slide to the bottom, while the big leaves stay on top. Easy. :chinese:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I just use my pu'er tray:

proxy.php

Give it a gentle tap, and the fine particles slide to the bottom, while the big leaves stay on top. Easy. :chinese:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Mahogany or teak?

Sorry. I'm just trying to lure Ian (Doc4) into the forum.

I've started saving up the pu'er fannings in a little container - I'm planning to find out what the resultant mixture tastes like in a few weeks. :chinese:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

P.s. The tray is bamboo, yes indeed. A great little purchase!

Top Bottom