What's new

Clubman vs. Canoe

The resemblance between these two scents is (supposed) to be uncanny, correct?

If so, which scent do you like more? Which is a better aftershave splash? Better performance? Better scent? Any subtle differences? Which is longer lasting?

I'm only familiar with Pinaud Clubman, but the bottle is running low...I wouldn't mind trying a bottle of Canoe given the board's responses.

Thanks!

The resemblance between these two scents is (supposed) to be uncanny, correct?

If so, which scent do you like more? Which is a better aftershave splash? Better performance? Better scent? Any subtle differences? Which is longer lasting?

I'm only familiar with Pinaud Clubman, but the bottle is running low...I wouldn't mind trying a bottle of Canoe given the board's responses.

Thanks!

I think canoe is a little more subtle and is very long lasting and that would be my preference over the two

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've never tried Canoe, but when I first tried Clubman, my initial thought was that it smelled a lot like Brut, but more subdued, or more "grown up", or something.
I prefer the Clubman over Brut, but you might want to give Brut a sniff too.

I prefer Canoe to Clubman, and Vintage Avon Wild Country to either. To me Clubman has a weird chemical or maybe plastic bottle overtone to it. I don't pick up a plastic note to to Aqua Velva or skin bracer, also in plastic. But for some reason it's a lot of what I get from Clubman at least on application it does seem to go away after a few minutes.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have always believed Clubman and Canoe are brothers, and it is vintage Wild Country, not current, that bears a "cousin" resemblance.

Canoe is the "Clubman Cologne," IMHO. :velva2:

AA

I use the Pinaud Clubman regularly. One year I picked up a small Christmas set of Canoe, English Leather and Sterling.

To me the Canoe was not that close to Pinaud Clubman, I found it a stronger and harsher scent.

If you would like something in the similar family as the Pinaud Clubman I would try Myrsol F/Extra or Floid.

I only have the Canoe edt and not the aftershave, but I feel like its more straight-up powdery while the Clubman has a little bit more to it. I don't consider Clubman a very "deep" scent profile, but I think you can some citrus and herbaceousnous from it that I don't get from the Canoe (at least in its edt form).

Both are fougere scents, so by virtue of that they would be similar in smell. I prefer the after shave "sting" of Pinaud Clubman, and the scent lasts a little longer for me. But I would be surprised if the "average" nose could tell the difference.

IMHO, Canoe, Clubman as well as Penhaligon's Sartorial are similar musky, talcumy fougere aftershaves/colognes. All great.

canoe clubman sartorial.jpg

In my experience vintage Clubman and vintage Canoe are very similar (aftershaves, when both came in a glass bottle). Vintage Clubman had more of an orange scent and some anise thrown in. Canoe was slightly more powdery.

Now they are still somewhat similar. The last bottles of Canoe I have are still glass while Clubman has gone plastic.

When they were vintage and still in glass I preferred Clubman, now I prefer Canoe.

Chris

Top Bottom