What's new

Closer shave with a cartridge razor, please help!!!!

Help!!!!!

First time post so sorry if it is in the wrong place to post.

Hello everyone!!!

I have been shaving with a safety razor for about 6 months. I'm using a Merkur 34c, Astra Superior Platinum blade, TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream and a Frank Shaving pure badger brush. The problem is I can't get a close shave on my neck and when I try I end up cutting myself and get a red shaving rash. I am shaving in all the right directions. I really dont want to go back to a cartridge razor, but i get a closer shave on my neck with one. Please help!!!!

Have you tried any other blades? I haven’t tried those but I hear mixed reviews. Either love or hate. I couldn’t get near close shaves with Dorco but yet I get very close shaves, if not borderline exfoliation, with Gillette-Wilkinson

Edit: borderline exfoliation, not irritation. Just feel that top layer of skin peel but no burn or irritation :)

Help!!!!!

First time post so sorry if it is in the wrong place to post.

Hello everyone!!!

I have been shaving with a safety razor for about 6 months. I'm using a Merkur 34c, Astra Superior Platinum blade, TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream and a Frank Shaving pure badger brush. The problem is I can't get a close shave on my neck and when I try I end up cutting myself and get a red shaving rash. I am shaving in all the right directions. I really dont want to go back to a cartridge razor, but i get a closer shave on my neck with one. Please help!!!!

The problem is I can't get a close shave on my neck and when I try I end up cutting myself and get a red shaving rash.
When you are cutting yourself you are using the wrong angle. When you are getting a rash you are using too much pressure.
First off you can not shave damaged or inflamed skin without increasing more skin damage. You must let damaged skin heal before shaving it. Proper pre shave prep and post shave routines are to condition and aid skin health and recovery. They are just as important as the shave. Are yours good? You need to make a concentrated effort of using less pressure. If you are transitioning from cart shaving you probably need to change you shave stroke. Please view this video.
It was a big help to me.

Keep trying and trying ...it took me a long time before i could get satisfactory results each and every shave( or close enough to) ...probably not what you wanted to hear but ....take notice of your shave every single time...are you pressing to hard...is the lather semi dry ....just small things like that it all counts

I have had these issues. To echo some of what others have said, I would suggest the most important thing is to start with clear skin. I have had a terribly torn up and angry neck at times - usually because I exacerbated existing problems. Let it heal (ideally growing out stubble and trimming it close for a week or two if necessary).

Then aim for a socially acceptable shave when you restart before advancing to a DFS. Don’t chase BBS on the neck necessarily. You don’t HAVE to do that! Find what works for you and stick to it - those with sensitive and blemish prone skin are (in my view) better served by consistency of routine/products/hardware rather than experimentation. Exfoliation works for me, but keep it light and no more than twice a week. For bad irritation try an aspirin mask.

When you are cutting yourself you are using the wrong angle. When you are getting a rash you are using too much pressure.
First off you can not shave damaged or inflamed skin without increasing more skin damage. You must let damaged skin heal before shaving it. Proper pre shave prep and post shave routines are to condition and aid skin health and recovery. They are just as important as the shave. Are yours good? You need to make a concentrated effort of using less pressure. If you are transitioning from cart shaving you probably need to change you shave stroke. Please view this video.
It was a big help to me.
Thanks for your help.

My pre-shave routine is as followed.

Hot shower and wash my face and neck with exfoliating scrub.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Keep trying and trying ...it took me a long time before i could get satisfactory results each and every shave( or close enough to) ...probably not what you wanted to hear but ....take notice of your shave every single time...are you pressing to hard...is the lather semi dry ....just small things like that it all counts

Sometimes my lather feels dry, how do I stop this happening.

I have had these issues. To echo some of what others have said, I would suggest the most important thing is to start with clear skin. I have had a terribly torn up and angry neck at times - usually because I exacerbated existing problems. Let it heal (ideally growing out stubble and trimming it close for a week or two if necessary).

Then aim for a socially acceptable shave when you restart before advancing to a DFS. Don’t chase BBS on the neck necessarily. You don’t HAVE to do that! Find what works for you and stick to it - those with sensitive and blemish prone skin are (in my view) better served by consistency of routine/products/hardware rather than experimentation. Exfoliation works for me, but keep it light and no more than twice a week. For bad irritation try an aspirin mask.
Thank you for you suggestions.

I only shave once a week and exfoliate before shaving. I shave WTG ATG, if don't shave ATG it isn't close enough. I was getting a closer shave with a cartridge
razor.

I have the same problem in reverse:
carts give the irritation on the neck no matter what I do
DE gives a close and effortless shave.

add a few more drops of water into the shaving brush then swirl it all over your face if its still looking dry repeat until you hit the sweet spot you want it thick but not watery ...it will take some practice...do you face lather or lather in a bowl or hand lather some people hand lather?

Others may disagree, but I don’t think you should expect a closer shave with DE. Carts have multiple blades and their advantage so to speak is that they lift the hair and cut it below the skin’s surface. This results in a very close shave. The disadvantage is it is more prone to irritation and ingrown hairs.

When I used carts I got very close shaves. I actually miss it. But I struggled so much with irritation that I only shaved weekly.

Thats why I switched to DE. As my technique grows, it is a much less irritating shave. I also enjoy the process and nostalgia. But I have to shave every 2 days- it’s just not as close.

For your particular problem, i agree with others’ recommendation to try new blades. Also, the 34c is a mild razor. Perhaps something like a Rockwell 6c where you can try different levels of aggressiveness would be good. $50 and they are quite well liked.

Stick with it and keep experimenting.

And never think you need to chase BBS. To me shaving is so I don't have a beard. Nobody is double checking how close of a shave I get.

Admittedly, my grandpa still rubs the back of his hand on my cheek to make sure I got a close shave

He’s in love with his BiC cartridge razor now. He lost the dexterity to shave with a double edge and was using electric for years. I got him a BiC Flex2 and I don’t even know where the electric shaver went now lol

Edit: actually it’s on the days he shaves with his BiC Flex2 that he checks my shave quality lol

Welcome to B&B.
I have been shaving with a safety razor for about 6 months. I'm using a Merkur 34c, Astra Superior Platinum blade, TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream and a Frank Shaving pure badger brush. The problem is I can't get a close shave on my neck and when I try I end up cutting myself and get a red shaving rash. I am shaving in all the right directions.
You are using good tools for a good shave but I think your technique is off. You should not be getting cuts and razor burn so it is a matter of working on the technique. You certainly need a different technique with the DE against what you were using with the cartridge razor. Have a look at the Shave Wiki {link top left of page} which is very helpful. Try and focus on correct blade angle and let the blade do the work; don't force it. See here; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
With the DE it is about gradual stubble reduction so a once a week shave is going to need a 3 or 4 pass shave to get a very close shave.
The video mentioned in post #4 is very helpful. A good lather is also important for a good shave so don't underestimate that factor.
Out of interest, why only shave once a week? Try 3 times a week working up to a daily shave.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have several thoughts. It seems that incorporating exfoliation into a pre-shave routine may be irritating the tender neck at the wrong time. I would confine the pre-shave routine to hot water, maybe soaking with a wash cloth if splashing isn't enough. It has been so long since I used that blade I cannot speak to it, but I find both Crystals and Personna Israeli reds to cut very smoothly after the first use. I used to use a Merkur 34c and went to an Edwin Jagger DE89. Thankfully it was not too pricey (cost of a few packs of Fusion cartridges). I found it much milder but every bit as close. I shave everyday. Other than backpacking trips I have not ever missed a day. Shaving more regularly may help. As to lather drying out, I found TOBS cream excellent but like their soap even better. After lathering for the first pass I stand my still lathered brush on its bottom and use the remaining lather for the next pass, dipping in the water if I need to build more lather. Do not be stingy. If you need more lather at any stage, add it! A creature of habit, I had been doing two passes and a touch up but recently went to three. The results have been closer shaves but no irritation. Using short strokes with, across, and against really does work for me, and I have always had a fairly heavy beard.

I have a Merkur 23C, and it would be similar to your razor. I began to shim it so it had a little more bite. Some make shims by trimming the sharp edges from old blades. I used plastic from plastic file folders and various other things available until I found the thickness that gave me the feel I like from the razor. The shim goes between the blade and the bottom plate.

It was a big help to me.

+1! Excellent advice!

To summarize:
1. Let the problem area heal.
2. Better prep and hydration.
3. Assure an optimal razor angle.
4. NO pressure!

Stick with this and you will get the results you want! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Top Bottom