What's new

Closer shave with a cartridge razor, please help!!!!

Welcome to B&B.

You are using good tools for a good shave but I think your technique is off. You should not be getting cuts and razor burn so it is a matter of working on the technique. You certainly need a different technique with the DE against what you were using with the cartridge razor. Have a look at the Shave Wiki {link top left of page} which is very helpful. Try and focus on correct blade angle and let the blade do the work; don't force it. See here; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
With the DE it is about gradual stubble reduction so a once a week shave is going to need a 3 or 4 pass shave to get a very close shave.
The video mentioned in post #4 is very helpful. A good lather is also important for a good shave so don't underestimate that factor.
Out of interest, why only shave once a week? Try 3 times a week working up to a daily shave.
Thank you for your help. I only really have time to shave once a week but I'm trying to do it twice a week.

I had the same problem, started DE shaving a couple months ago. Was using a Merkur Sledge Hammer, then a little more aggressive 25C, still way too many passes, 4 or 5 and still have to clean up. Tried many different blades, found sharper the better. Finally purchased a R41, super aggressive, extremely light pressure, Nacent blade, again no pressure, 3 pass shave BBS. Went back to 25C, same results lots of stubble, many passes and clean-ups, still not happy. Back to R41, great smooth (yes you can feel the blade), non-irrigating shave. The only thing I can't do yet is ATG under my nose but 2 WTG passes, pretty smooth. Use Proraso green per-shave, Stirling or Proraso soap.

Try this:
Apply hot flannel to stubble followed by Face Wash/Scrub, then pre-have oil, then lather soap or cream. Mild razor. 1st pass ATG, 2nd pass XTG with a couple of shims underneath blade in razor. 3rd pass, hot flannel pressed against neck area before re-lathering, add another shim. Shave lightly WTG. This will give you BBS

(I make my own shims out of pieces of plastic and range in thicknesses from 0.19mm,0.55mm to 0.77mm and use only one in razor at a time. Even a half shim -see photo,' which can be useful, if you don't want to keep changing shim)

It's taken me a long long time to arrive at this formula having found that even the most aggressive razors like the R41 loaded with say a Feather blade, still skips stubble especially around the lower jaw/neck area

WS Razor & Shims.jpg

Oh also may i add...very hot water...hotter the better...i noticed recently that when my water was hotter the de blade itself performed better...like i swear in super hot water feathers feel smooth whereas before when i used just warm water it performed harshly

Thanks for your help.

My pre-shave routine is as followed.

Hot shower and wash my face and neck with exfoliating scrub.

Is there anything else I should be doing?
It is an individual trial and error thing. In the early going I exfoliated between and before shaves. In both cases it added to my irritation. I do not exfoliate at all now. I also used pre shave creams and soaps with my lather. I don’t use those anymore neither. Trying possible improvements a good idea. Only keep products that improve shave comfort to Your Personal Shave. Try a few shaves without exfoliating and there should be a difference. Only make single changes to your shave in the early going. Establish what does or does not work before moving forward. The shower is the most important For Me in my pre shave. Whiskers must be well hydrated before shaving, a shower relaxes you well hydrating your whiskers. My post shave is more detailed. At that point you are working on skin recovery. All sensitive skin shavers which are probably the majority went through irritation and discomfort while establishing best practices for their individual shaves. It is a process which we all work through. A little over year ago I was where you are at now. My Shave morphed from the traditional three pass to. A Single Pass Against the Grain’t. (ATG) shave every 120 hrs. There is much to view and study on B&B. Your in the right place.

+1! Excellent advice!

To summarize:
1. Let the problem area heal.
2. Better prep and hydration.
3. Assure an optimal razor angle.
4. NO pressure!

Stick with this and you will get the results you want! :thumbup: :thumbup:
I would add that exfoliating with a facial scrub every day is adding to the problem. Lay off the scrub for a while and try just once a week.

Try this:
Apply hot flannel to stubble followed by Face Wash/Scrub, then pre-have oil, then lather soap or cream. Mild razor. 1st pass ATG, 2nd pass XTG with a couple of shims underneath blade in razor. 3rd pass, hot flannel pressed against neck area before re-lathering, add another shim. Shave lightly WTG. This will give you BBS

(I make my own shims out of pieces of plastic and range in thicknesses from 0.19mm,0.55mm to 0.77mm and use only one in razor at a time. Even a half shim -see photo,' which can be useful, if you don't want to keep changing shim)

It's taken me a long long time to arrive at this formula having found that even the most aggressive razors like the R41 loaded with say a Feather blade, still skips stubble especially around the lower jaw/neck area

View attachment 1157580

I shave WTG first, i thought that was the correct way to do it?

It is an individual trial and error thing. In the early going I exfoliated between and before shaves. In both cases it added to my irritation. I do not exfoliate at all now. I also used pre shave creams and soaps with my lather. I don’t use those anymore neither. Trying possible improvements a good idea. Only keep products that improve shave comfort to Your Personal Shave. Try a few shaves without exfoliating and there should be a difference. Only make single changes to your shave in the early going. Establish what does or does not work before moving forward. The shower is the most important For Me in my pre shave. Whiskers must be well hydrated before shaving, a shower relaxes you well hydrating your whiskers. My post shave is more detailed. At that point you are working on skin recovery. All sensitive skin shavers which are probably the majority went through irritation and discomfort while establishing best practices for their individual shaves. It is a process which we all work through. A little over year ago I was where you are at now. My Shave morphed from the traditional three pass to. A Single Pass Against the Grain’t. (ATG) shave every 120 hrs. There is much to view and study on B&B. Your in the right place.

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

I thought It is best to shave WTG first at all times?

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

I thought It is best to shave WTG first at all times?
It is not only best but Highly Recommended. The traditional three pass shave is where you should start. Good shave prep and beard reduction. When those are at a familiarity and comfort level. You can explore different options. WTG-XTG-ATG If that is not possible starting out some gents do one or two passes to start. Put comfort above all else with your shaves. Relax and enjoy your shaves. Lathering is my favourite and the luxurious part of my shave. There is much to explore enjoy.

I think the big problem for most people with shaving their neck is assuming that shaving “down” like you do on your cheeks is with the grain. Most often it starts as straight down then curves midway; often in different directions. I’d note where the grain of your beard starts to curve and make sure that you’re actually going with the grain for the first pass. Also, there’s nothing at all wrong with using a cart if it’s giving you a better shave. I see no reason not to return to it if it’s giving you better shaves.

You are not alone in your attempts to seek a close shave on your neck. It is a perennial location for difficulties. I have mapped my beard and spent lots of time trying to perfect my shaves. And I feel that I am there, however I am unable to get a BBS on the left side of my neck with any amount of consistency. If I force it, then I end up with irritation and weepers. I have just accepted the fact that this part of my face will be hit or miss. And I'm ok with that because no one other than me can tell the difference.

I think the big problem for most people with shaving their neck is assuming that shaving “down” like you do on your cheeks is with the grain. Most often it starts as straight down then curves midway; often in different directions. I’d note where the grain of your beard starts to curve and make sure that you’re actually going with the grain for the first pass. Also, there’s nothing at all wrong with using a cart if it’s giving you a better shave. I see no reason not to return to it if it’s giving you better shaves.

My neck hair grows in all different directions. So I have to shave down, up and across to shave WTG. I have mapped my beard out so I know which bits to shave accordingly.

It is not only best but Highly Recommended. The traditional three pass shave is where you should start. Good shave prep and beard reduction. When those are at a familiarity and comfort level. You can explore different options. WTG-XTG-ATG If that is not possible starting out some gents do one or two passes to start. Put comfort above all else with your shaves. Relax and enjoy your shaves. Lathering is my favourite and the luxurious part of my shave. There is much to explore enjoy.
You said that you now shave a single pass ATG? Sorry I'm a bit confused.

I have to admit, that after 26 years of living on this planet, only recently I found out what is skin exfoliating 😂😂 so I would say it is not that necessary 😂
Anyway, don't try that hard.DE shaving is a process, you have to learn it. Better pre shave routine could help you. You could try go WTG, XTG and XTG in opposite direction as the first XTG.
I have an area on my neck that is prone to red spots, so I gave it only one pass XTG. It is a bit less close then other parts of my neck, but I can live with it.

You said that you now shave a single pass ATG? Sorry I'm a bit confused.
That is what my shave morphed too after a year of Three Pass shaving. I started DE like the majority of shavers Three Passes. WTG XTG ATG. Beard reduction. Lather up shave 1st pass WTG. Rinse off Lather up 2nd pass XTG. Rinse off lather up ATG 3rd pass. After twenty soaps, twelve razors, twelve shave brushes. I put together six of them. It’s a process. You do not get there in a few shaves. My quote from my first response below.

A little over year ago I was where you are at now. My Shave morphed from the traditional three pass to. A Single Pass Against the Grain’t. (ATG) shave every 120 hrs. There is much to view and study on B&B. Your in the right place.

If you are interested I how I built the monster you can view my journal
GC.68OC, GOLD GRANDE, YAQI CHROME MELLON - A JOURNEY - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gc-68oc-gold-grande-yaqi-chrome-mellon-a-journey.585819/

Take your time relax and enjoy your shaves. In the beginning it is a process. Eliminate your irritations and shave problems as you move forward. Your shaves get better and improve. As you get better you may be able to drop a pass or two. There are not many ATG Single Pass shavers out there. There are a few of us though.

I've got little to add to this helpful thread. I'm also a fan of hot washcloth hydration.

Face lathering was a disaster for me, yet bowl-lathering and painting the soap on works fine. YMMV in action there.

It would be best if you could avoid getting an irritated neck in the first place, but once you have it, Nivea Balm (the stuff in the white glass container) can tame the problem.

I was in a bad mess in late 2018, and I'm very happy with my results now, but it is like a sport, because you can't get an instant result.
  1. Your next game might not be much better.
  2. If you try, your next month probably will be a lot better.
  3. Your next year will tell you where it is really going.

That is what my shave morphed too after a year of Three Pass shaving. I started DE like the majority of shavers Three Passes. WTG XTG ATG. Beard reduction. Lather up shave 1st pass WTG. Rinse off Lather up 2nd pass XTG. Rinse off lather up ATG 3rd pass. After twenty soaps, twelve razors, twelve shave brushes. I put together six of them. It’s a process. You do not get there in a few shaves. My quote from my first response below.

If you are interested I how I built the monster you can view my journal
GC.68OC, GOLD GRANDE, YAQI CHROME MELLON - A JOURNEY - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gc-68oc-gold-grande-yaqi-chrome-mellon-a-journey.585819/

Take your time relax and enjoy your shaves. In the beginning it is a process. Eliminate your irritations and shave problems as you move forward. Your shaves get better and improve. As you get better you may be able to drop a pass or two. There are not many ATG Single Pass shavers out there. There are a few of us though.

I wasn't having a go at you, i'm really finding all the information helpful.

Thank you.

When transitioning from cartridge to DE/SE razors it takes time and many shaves to get the "light touch" muscle memory in your hands, as well as the strokes and passes needed for your beard type and skin. When starting out you need to hydrate your beard well and use a high quality soap or cream which provides super slickness and protection. Everyone has a steep learning curve with traditional (non-cartridge) wet shaving, so you are in good company. 2 months ago I would have recommended the Merkur 34C as the top razor for a new wet shaver. In the last two weeks I have tried a new DE razor that IMHO is the best for a new DE shaver. It is nearly perfect, since you can master it in a couple of shaves, since the head design forces the correct angle. Also, it provides an irritation free and bloodless shave, regardless of technique. Check out the HensonRazorclub threads in the Clubs & Brotherhoods forum on this B&B site.

I wasn't having a go at you, i'm really finding all the information helpful.

Thank you.
I knew you were not having a go at me. I wanted to make sure that your early shave routine and set up is based on the sound fundamentals of the Three Pass Shave. Establishing that will allow you to go in many different directions, when your ready. Too much Cherry Picking early on can have you chasing your tail for a long time. There are many options in razors and products. Nobody gets to try all of them, although many try.

Top Bottom