What's new

Cleaning a bakelite razor?

I recently won a bakelite Ever Ready DE on ebay, and it isn't in the best condition. Are there any special considerations when cleaning bakelite?
Normalliy, I boil the razors for 10 minutes, then putting them in an ultrasonic sterilising before finishing up with a long soak in Barbicide. Obviously the ultrasonic steriliser would be fine with this particular razor, but I am worried about boiling it and using potentially damaging chemicals. Any thoughts?

I was thinking about investing in one of these to clean ebay razors. Or do you think that is a step too far?:lol:

My ultrasonic steriliser has served me well (in the few weeks I've had it) but being a man and knowing that there are bigger, better and more technoligically advanced options out there, I just wont rest until I have one of these.

AJS said:
My ultrasonic steriliser has served me well (in the few weeks I've had it) but being a man and knowing that there are bigger, better and more technoligically advanced options out there, I just wont rest until I have one of these.

That looks like the slippery slope that Howard Hughes would go down. First it was a handshake then gloves then sleeping in a UV steriliser.... I could see it happening.

Gatorade said:
That looks like the slippery slope that Howard Hughes would go down. First it was a handshake then gloves then sleeping in a UV steriliser.... I could see it happening.

You've got to know Alex pretty well in a short time! :lol:

Jonnybc said:
You've got to know Alex pretty well in a short time! :lol:

I resent that. I've made a lot of progress lately, somedays I don't even have to wash my hands any more than 100 times:lol:

I boiled an old injector razor ( only about 30-45 seconds ) I even used tongs so that the handle never even touched the boiling water, well it still put a nice little crack in the handle:mad: Boiling water and these razors do not mix.
Cheers, DJ.

Dinder1 said:
I boiled an old injector razor ( only about 30-45 seconds ) I even used tongs so that the handle never even touched the boiling water, well it still put a nice little crack in the handle:mad: Boiling water and these razors do not mix.
Cheers, DJ.
Can you determine whether the handle was bakelite or plastic? I believe the handle became molded plastic after 1945...

I actually had fair success with boiling a bakelite handle injector. It is a slightly iffy thing to do, but the key is to make sure than the razor is NOT touching the bottom of the pan. (The water temperature is regulated by boiling process, but the pan temp is not). Use wood or rubber (anything that conducts heat poorly) to hold the razor up off the pan bottom.

What about using some rubbing alcohol on the head and handle and quickly rinsing it?

I know this is a very low-tech approach, but was curious to know if people with more experience than I thought it would be effective.

Well, my understanding is that rubbing alcohol will kill any bacteria, but not viruses. Boiling will kill anything, because it denatures the proteins (makes them fall apart).

That said, I am not sure it is that big a deal. Not many bacteria or viruses that you are concerned about will last more than 30 days on a dry surface, and most of the razors bought off ebay haven't been used in years. Better safe than sorry, though. Nonetheless, to my mind, if it is clean in terms of all the crud gone, it is probably ok to use. The truth is that we do actually keep razors truly sterile.

Boiling does help with getting all the crud off as well, btw.

Any other recommendations for some sort of anti-viral/anti-bacterial product that razors can be dipped into or wiped with?

Yes, alcohol at 70% will kill most bacteria but will be ineffective for most viruses. Instead use a 10% Bleach solution in water and you will take care of bacteria and the viruses. I'm not so sure about Barbicide but I imagine that it would be good for both bacteria and viruses.

One of the issues with injectors is that there are interstices that hide tons of crud (okay, slight hyperbole). Unless you have the good fortune of having one of the antique models that can be opened up, a rolling boil with complete imersion of the head is the most effective method of clearing out crud followed closely by a long soak in the "cide" of you choice. Don't worry human imunodeficiency virus does not live long outside of the body, EXCEPT IN RAZOR CRUD!:wink2:

Suzuki said:
Will a 10 minute soak in 10% bleach solution damage gold plating or bakelite?
I've never used a bakelite, but a 1 min soak followed by rinsing in cold H2O should do just fine.

Top Bottom