What's new

Classic Australian Barbershop Aftershave

Hello all, I'm too young/can't remember, so was wondering if anyone remembers there ever being a classic barbershop aftershave used in Australia, like Pinaud Clubman in the US. Would be interesting to hear what was used by different barbers if there wasn't any classic one.

I can confirm that Imperial Leather is widely available and very nice.
I would say that the strongest influence historically in Oz is the UK and US.
Aftershave Scents that go back to my Aussie childhood are Brut, Old Spice, Blue Stratos, English Leather, Avon (particularly Wild Country), various Bay Rums, and Pinaud Clubman. As many Barbers were from Italian descent, Proraso Green also. The scent that most reminds me of barber shops back in the day is Felce Azzurra talcum powder.
Scents that smell awfully familiar to me from that time, but I cannot confirm I ever saw, are TOBS Sandalwood, and Pitralon Classic.

Last edited:
Bay rum was probably the most common scent if I had to guess. Barbershops would've bought from barbers/hairdresser supply shops who sold their own aftershaves. Potentially it was quite a localised thing depending on which city or state you where in and which barbers supply you bought from. I used to get big bottles of aftershave from Turnleys in Melbourne (an old school barbers/hairdressers supply store) which was a very pleasant lavender scent, but they don't make it anymore. You had Bardsleys in Sydney who sold their own aftershave (called Bardol), unfortunately I don't know what it smelled like. Probably plenty of other stores and scents lost to history.

Top Bottom