What's new

Cigar Of The Day (COTD)

Had a Tatuaje Havana VI Nobles and some Four Roses Small Batch Whiskey while sitting on the patio with my wife after a fun day yesterday. Also drank the last of my Anchor Liberty Ale that I picked up on the 4th. Great night of relaxing, hanging out with the wife, and enjoying a nice smoke and drink.

My apologies for the blurry photo :blushing:
$COTD.jpg

Wow. I'm back to back in the COTD thread. Had a Montecristo 75th Anniversary Torpedo this evening as a gift from my father in law. Woohoo! I'm now a quarter of a century old!

proxy.php

Punch Elite Ems. It was quite nice...except for the fact I couldn't sit in my backyard for very long before being devoured by mosquitoes.

Just getting into cigars so I'm trying to buy a bunch of different brands/sizes.

Punch Elite Ems. It was quite nice...except for the fact I couldn't sit in my backyard for very long before being devoured by mosquitoes.

Just getting into cigars so I'm trying to buy a bunch of different brands/sizes.

I like to believe that the cigar smoke envelopes me in a protective cloud from the flying 'gators. At the very least it works when I blow smoke directly at one. I'm also new to cigars but unlike you I've been narrow in my explorations and stuck almost exclusively to maduros. Time to branch out. Although I have had some variety with ring gauges. I'm finding the smaller ones to smoke and taste better, but I love the smoke output from the larger ones. 52 is my absolute maximum, if I have a choice. I've also been having about a cigar a day for the last couple weeks and I think I'm starting to get burned out... having trouble identifying flavours/aromas... many of the cigars are staring to taste the same... I'll probably go back to the pipe exclusively for a week or so to "reboot" my palate and nose.

I fell behind with posting my COTD but did take a few shots.

Saturday was a Gran Habana Corojo #5. I'm really enjoying lanceros.
$070613_2143[00].jpg

Sunday was a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Oscuro. Meh. At least now I know. Sorry about darkness, the pic was an afterthought...
$070713_2107[00].jpg

Monday was a CAO La Traviata which was like sucking marbles through a juicebox straw, just like the one other CAO (MX2) I had. No pic as I was too annoyed by the draw to bother. Made up for it with another little Jose Piedra Cazadore. Not bad for a few bucks.

$070713_1644[00].jpg

Last night was a Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 50 Years. Another 'milestone' smoke for me... so freaking good. Took a cue from Paul's pics of his humidors in which he has an entire tupperdore decicated to just these and San Lotanos.
$070913_2111[00].jpg

I've read in a few places that CAO is notorious for some VERY dense packing on their cigars. I haven't yet had one, but I'm definitely hoping the draw is ok on the CAO Americas I got recently :001_unsur

I've read in a few places that CAO is notorious for some VERY dense packing on their cigars. I haven't yet had one, but I'm definitely hoping the draw is ok on the CAO Americas I got recently :001_unsur

I've heard lots of mixed things about CAO's. But I do know a lot of guys love the brazilia. I'll be crossing my fingers for you with the americas

I've heard lots of mixed things about CAO's. But I do know a lot of guys love the brazilia. I'll be crossing my fingers for you with the americas

Let us know how those CAOs work out for you. I'm curious because I really WANT to like CAO as they have some sticks that definitely appeal to me. I want to try the Brazilia, and the MX2 and La Traviata flavours were enjoyable when I could actually get some smoke out of them.

I have smoked many CAO sticks over the years. While I am a CAO fan, my biggest complaint is quality control and too many labels, I think CAO (like Rocky Patel, to some degree) has become too concerned with pumping out different blends and brand extensions. I think both brands have become more marketing-centric than cigar-centric---IMO of course. With that said, there are some very good cigars from both companies and I continue to smoke them.

I'm stuck in the Orlando airport (now a three hour delay) racking up an increasingly obnoxious bar tab with all my cigars in my checked bag. If I weren't so drunk I'd be pissed!

I have smoked many CAO sticks over the years. While I am a CAO fan, my biggest complaint is quality control and too many labels, I think CAO (like Rocky Patel, to some degree) has become too concerned with pumping out different blends and brand extensions. I think both brands have become more marketing-centric than cigar-centric---IMO of course. With that said, there are some very good cigars from both companies and I continue to smoke them.

I'm stuck in the Orlando airport (now a three hour delay) racking up an increasingly obnoxious bar tab with all my cigars in my checked bag. If I weren't so drunk I'd be pissed!

man that sucks! not to rub salt in your wounds, but today I had a fantastic cigar day. Met a friend who was back visiting from overseas and he brought me some surprises.

First I had a Cohiba Behike that my friend brought with him.
$photo (5).jpg

then after the behike I had a davidoff Club house from the humidor at the cigar lounge we were at

$photo (6).jpg

So much for taking a break. Tonight (technically yesterday) was a house cigar from my local B&M, Victory Cigars. I know they are hand made in the Dominican Republic but I don't know what kind of leaf is in it. I got one natural and one maduro. Tonight was the natural and while it was nothing revelatory, it certainly was a solid, enjoyable smoke with good construction, draw and burning qualities. I could live with the price and have no problems calling this an everyday smoke.

$071013_2152[01].jpg $071013_2212[01].jpg

Slow day for everyone else, I guess.

Had my first (full size) Cuban tonight, a Punch Punch robusto. Soft, smooth and underwhelming. Money not well spent. At least my beer didn't let me down.

$071113_2043[01].jpg

Slow day for everyone else, I guess.

Had my first (full size) Cuban tonight, a Punch Punch robusto. Soft, smooth and underwhelming. Money not well spent. At least my beer didn't let me down.

View attachment 350090

Sorry to hear it was disappointing. I have not yet tried a Cuban, but one thing I see some up time and time again is that Cuban cigars are still just cigars. They have their own flavor profile that some people may prefer, but its very possible you prefer the flavors of Non Cubans.

That said, I want to try one for the experience, but I love my non Cubans so much that I don't see spending that kind of coin on a regular basis for a hard to get product. Maybe buy a box one day just to say I've done it.

$image.jpg
Montecristo Magnum (Habana 2000). I just wanted a nice mellow smoke for the afternoon and that is what I got. It comes in a glass tube and looks phenomenal. Burns uneven, light pepper flavor and the second third produced a sweetness I just can't put my finger on. It was a gift from the shop owner, apparently I noticeably spend money there... Not sure I would pay $9 for it. But the last Cristo I had was Cuban so I may be a little harsh on this Dominican sweetheart. Cheers gents!

(As a side note I can't figure out while all my pics lately are rotated from the original image...)

Started off with a 2011 Bolivar Corona Gigantes that was very good then fired up a 2010 SLR Regio that was quite enjoyable as well.

Last edited:
Regarding the letdown of the Punch, I obviously went into it with high expectations when (you're right, Josh) it's just another cigar afterall. It won't go down on me, it won't make me a sandwich, it won't take the garbage out... It's a bundle of rolled up dry leaves. I'm also starting to think that I'm one of the pickiest smokers here, with both cigars and pipe tobacco. Especially pipe tobacco.

On tap for tonight is the Joya de Nicaragua CyB, which the shop owner was really building up and pushing... "Had to beg Jose Blanco personally to get these... Only x number of cases in Canada, etc." I'll try to temper my expectations this time.

@Hangten,
Many of my pics end up being rotated from the original so I've been checking them in Windows Photo Viewer (where they can be rotated and saved) before I upload to here and then also preview the post before finalizing to make sure it all looks correct. Not a big deal, though. I'm on a laptop so I just pick it up and manually rotate the entire computer to look at your pics... it's like holding a newspaper.:wink2:

Top Bottom