What's new

Used to smoke cigars pretty regularly but not so much anymore.

I loved smoking cigars back in the day and have a pretty good stash of them residing in my coolerdor. Probably have 250-300 left and with the right maintenance, they are still quite good which has surprised me. I knew one could age tobacco but some of my cigars may be 20 years old now and none are newer than 5-8 years. I check the coolerdor weekly and make sure the humidification is between 65-70. As it rests in a corner of my basement, temps range from 60-70 during the course of a year. For many years, I've used humidification beads in an open tray along with a hygrometer. The cooler is pretty large and lined with the cedar of old boxes and all the cigars are in cedar cigar boxes though they may no longer match the labels!

Anyway, just smoked an old Don Manolo robusto earlier this evening on the front porch and a bundled Dominican corona last week. Back in the day, I mostly smoked Macanudos when they still had their Jamaican factory but stayed with them after the fire. I like milder to medium flavor cigars and most of what I have now are Dominican. I still have the best part of a box of old Royal Jamaicans from when there were from Jamaica and a nice selection of more recent Macanudos. I tend to prefer robusto to corona sizes but have smoked a wider variety in years past. Today, maybe a cigar a month, sometimes two. My stash has premium to bundles of decent cigars and I doubt I'll finish them in my lifetime at the rate I smoke them now. Not an offer to trade or anything, I'll die with whatever's left. It used to be more fun buying cigars back in the 80's and early 90's before our government went mad in re: tobacco.

I also have a small collection of pipes but never really was a pipe guy, at least with pipe tobacco. I like looking at them in their display stand along with a few vintage lighters from DuPont and other companies.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Welcome to our little corner of the internet. I have a nice stash of stogies and a hoard of pipe tobacco, but recently haven’t had the luxury of time to be sitting outside to have a smoke in a while. Eventually I hope to get back to it more regularly.

I actually looked through the coolerdor after posting this. I've got a LOT of nice stuff in there. A lot of Robustos (which was how I tried to cut back in the old days). I need to smoke these a little more regularly now that I'm at an age where it matters less than it used to. ;)

I assume you guys know what a coolerdor is, right? Just a cooler converted (using as much Spanish cedar/boxes as you can muster. They work much better than traditional humidors IMO but you've got to hide them in the basement vs. display them in the library or den. Mine's an Igloo 70 from years ago.

Always been a fan of Macanudo and the old Royal Jamaican weren't bad either. Really liked La Gloria Cubana when they were made in Miami and reasonably priced. I smoke a pipe more than anything and usually only smoke cigars now on vacation. Thankfully my humidors aren't full anymore, or my wife and kids would just be throwing them away after I died. I've probably got less than 30 cigars now and all of them different. Saving a few "forbidden" ones for when my kids get married or some other really special occasion. Good to see ya in this part of B&B. Hanging around here a little bit will probably get you to use up some more of your stash. ;)

Always been a fan of Macanudo and the old Royal Jamaican weren't bad either. Really liked La Gloria Cubana when they were made in Miami and reasonably priced. I smoke a pipe more than anything and usually only smoke cigars now on vacation. Thankfully my humidors aren't full anymore, or my wife and kids would just be throwing them away after I died. I've probably got less than 30 cigars now and all of them different. Saving a few "forbidden" ones for when my kids get married or some other really special occasion. Good to see ya in this part of B&B. Hanging around here a little bit will probably get you to use up some more of your stash. ;)
That's what I'm afraid of! Blessing...and a curse. ;)

Since you like milder cigars, you should appreciate your sticks getting more mild as they age. Sounds like you got a great set up, just keep doin what your doing and your lifetime supply of sticks should be very enjoyable
Yup. So far, so good. Frankly, I'm surprised because conventional wisdom is they are too old. Well, like most conventional wisdom, it's wrong. They really haven't changed much. I've got some Honduran and Nicaraguan cigars that had a little more oomph to them and they still do. Honestly, all that I've smoked recently seem to taste like they did years ago.

I used to enjoy a cigar on a night out once a week. New regulations now mean that you can not smoke outside if the venue is serving food. Ducking out front for a cigarette is one thing but a cigar takes time. I was never one for cigarettes. We also had a cigar bar in town that got around the no smoking laws by becoming a private members club. They didn’t make enough money like that and closed down. The parties for me have changed mostly to kids parties now. Cigars are frowned upon at these events.

My cigar days are essentially over for the foreseeable future. I got tired of the expense of maintaining my stash and ditched them. The last one I had was with my father-in-law when my son was born. He turned green and nearly died after smoking half of it.

Only special people get to smoke cigars in peace and quiet these days. Usually, they're elected officials or other special people. At least in my state, on my property, Big Brother isn't present. We had two cigar clubs in town 20 years ago. Both are long gone. That could be as much the fad ending as anything else. Who knows?

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
My favorite smoke shop in Nashville closed down about a decade ago. Even when I wasn't enjoying a fine cigar or pipe there it was a great place to have an IPA, watch sports, etc. The owner was a friend of mine. Heck, I used to go in there and eat my lunch just because it was comfortable and quiet.

Here's a pic - Brentwood, TN

o.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Welcome to our little corner of the internet. I have a nice stash of stogies and a hoard of pipe tobacco, but recently haven’t had the luxury of time to be sitting outside to have a smoke in a while. Eventually I hope to get back to it more regularly.

I definitely know what that’s like. Smoked a Rocky Patel Edge Maduro tonight and washed it down with a Samuel Adams Oktoberfest.

First cigar & beer in almost 3 Years. :)

Last edited:
One cigar and one beer and I’m feeling as high as a kite!

The world is spinning man! ;)
Far out, man! I just enjoyed something from the depths of my coolerdor - a Cao Fatto Italia (6x60). Soooo nice to partake again listening to AC/DC at fairly high volume out on the porch surrounded by open country. No worries, closest neighbor is half a mile away. ;) Plus, today's shave was with a 100 year old Gillette Old Type razor. I think I gotta get a life...

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Far out, man! I just enjoyed something from the depths of my coolerdor - a Cao Fatto Italia (6x60). Soooo nice to partake again listening to AC/DC at fairly high volume out on the porch surrounded by open country. No worries, closest neighbor is half a mile away. ;) Plus, today's shave was with a 100 year old Gillette Old Type razor. I think I gotta get a life...
I want your life.

I'd say that you do, and a darned good one!
Doing what you enjoy, and being happy is nothing to discount.
Millions of people on the planet can't seem to!
One can have their ups and downs but I try to remind myself daily how fortunate I am at this stage of life. Unfortunately, I forgot I have a dental cleaning today. Hope the hygienist isn't too mad at me. ;)

I took smoking pipes back up four years ago after a 30+ year hiatus, filled with "occasional" cigar smoking. The "occasional" part was for my doc, insurance, and any other nosey person who wanted to know. Since I've returned to pipes, I've not smoked a cigar, but the humidor is maintained. I will probably enjoy the remaining Opus XX on my 70th birthday next year. I've found pipe tobacco much more interesting and I must admit, having the time to fiddle with pipes makes it more enjoyable.
Welcome the the forum!

Top Bottom