What's new

Cigar beginner

Cigar beginner here, I've got zero experience under my belt, and I dare not open the can of worms here by asking for tips or suggestions. BUT, I would like to ask....

How in the world do you guys keep up with brands and whether they are crap? There are so many and with that being said, how am I ever going to be able to tell whether or not I'm being ripped off for a price? Is it just part of learning getting ripped off to try one to see if it's worth the price? Because everyone has their own preferences, so I guess it's only worth what you like it for...fact or fiction?

And I've been told that the way to start out is to compare your coffee tastes to cigars. The flavors of coffees you like, try to find those in cigar form and then just spread from there depending on how the first few went for you. Is there any truth to that?

Finally, is it just me, or is it hard to tell the difference between most of them at first? They mostly just taste like "cigar" to me, kinda like beer. There are subtle differences but that could just be from my beginners touch and not necessarily the cigars themselves. I hope I don't ruin myself for a good priced cigar because of starting out and smoking/lighting/cutting it improperly.

My approach so far has been just samplers. I'm going to grab a sampler from a brand and see how those go, then try another brand, and another until I get a well enough idea of what I like, and then slowly branch off from there. I've come across what seems to be a decently priced sampler that looks to have a good variety of well rated cigars. Its called CAO champion II sampler. Seem like a good jumping off point? Thanks for any input. :thumbup1:

....My approach so far has been just samplers. I'm going to grab a sampler from a brand and see how those go, then try another brand, and another until I get a well enough idea of what I like, and then slowly branch off from there..... :thumbup1:

I think you answered your own question. Samplers are a great way to try many brands/types. I will only add, try not to associate high prices with great cigars. I have some pretty in-expensive sticks that more than compare to high end stogies. Also, keep a simple journal to note the construction of sticks you like. When you have one you really like, write down the wrapper, fillers and size. The on-line stores will give you this info. Hope this helps.

First off, as [MENTION=63927]alpster[/MENTION] mentioned, a good cigar doesn't have to include a high price tag. Price is set by the availability of the tobacco used as well as the name...you're gonna pay for a Davidoff even if it doesn't cost any more to make than a CAO. And just because a tobacco is rare doesn't mean it's anything special. Most generally start with Connecticut wrapped since they're mild to med body, and then branch out from there, experimenting with maduro, habano, corojo and other types of tobacco. I started with maduros and love them to this day, along with a good habano wrapped. Imo you can't go wrong with anything by Pepin/My Father Cigars. The My Father connecticut is my favorite morning smoke, along with San Cristobal Elegancia, another made by Pepin. Perdomo makes a great conn wrapped in their Perdomo Habano line. In fact I'm smoking one as I type this and enjoying the hell out of it. As for flavor....yeah they all kinda taste like a cigar at first, but a little knowledge and experience will help you find the flavors they present. Read up on cigars, there is all kinds of info available nowadays. Don't be afraid to try something different but know that sometimes you'll be wasting a few bucks. Soon enough you'll find what you like and stay with it for awhile, and then down the road probably find something else that suits your tastes. Your palate will evolve and what you look for in a cigar will change, usually towards a more robust and fuller bodied cigar with loads of flavor and complexity. For now, keep it simple, smoke what you like, and learn to start distinguishing the flavors imparted by the wonderful leaf. Enjoy!

I like the Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970. Usually u can find it for $5.00. I think it's a good cigar to try as a beginner.

Oh man. I totally get where you are coming from. Camacho, Tatuaje, Diesal, Ghurka, and a few more are my everyday brands. Some people will give you flak about enjoying a Gurkha, dont listen to to them, a few of theirs are really fine smokes. Tell ya what, PM me your address, and Ill put together a small five or six pack for you to try.

May I suggest you check out cigarsinternational.com deal of the day.
They offer 5 or 10 cigars at prices beyond belief with free shipping.
So.e days the deal is for 24 hours and other days it changes frequently throughout the day.
The deal offersva good description of the cigar as well.

[MENTION=112927]jmcdaniel0[/MENTION] - You the man! thanks so much for getting me started. PM sent. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with in return.
[MENTION=55641]Bk124tt[/MENTION] - Thanks! I've come across that site, and for the most part I like what I see. But I've never glanced at the "deal of the day". I'll make sure to do that, thanks again.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I suppose starting with what you like in coffee is as good a place to start as any. As mentioned, though, many start off with a mild, Connecticut wrapper. As also mentioned, your idea of getting a sampler is a very good one. You'll want to try different things, anyhow, so you may as well get started. No matter what, go into to every cigar with no expectations. Be prepared to enjoy or dislike whatever you try. You never know what that will be.

I'll second Perdomo as a good brand to look at for good value, and there are many selections that won't break the bank. The aforementioned Tatuaje cigars are the same way. I don't think I've ever smoked a Perdomo that I didn't like. A nice habana wrapper is a tough thing to dislike, as well. My favorites are maduros from La Gloria Cubana, but maduros aren't for everyone (not that LGC doesn't make other great cigars). La Flor Dominica also is a good brand with decent value, as are Punch, CAO, H. Upmann, and many others. The pleasant truth is that there are quite a few very good cigar labels out there that won't reach down your gullet for your wallet. On the flip side, the unpleasant truth is that cigars are an expensive hobby just about any way you want to go about it.

Really, unless you derive pleasure from spending a lot of money, there isn't much reason to spend a lot of money on a single cigar (at least, not very often :w00t:). If you are spending more than $15 on a single stick, you really ought to ask yourself what you're buying (and you may want to lower that to $10 as you find what you like).

No matter what, don't ever rush your smoke. Nice, easy, fairly slow draws are the way to go. Any cigar will get harsh and nasty if you puff to hard on it. Savor your puffs. Enjoy!

Samplers are a good option. I suggest trying mild and medium bodied cigars at first. Lots of good ones available. If you have a cigar shop handy, ask the tobacconist for suggestions. They can suggest good choices in every price range. Happy hunting!

For what its worth, when I first started I did what everyone here suggested. It seems to be a right of passage I guess. One thing I learned it is ALL trial and error. Personal preference is key. But if you get sticks on the cheap, go for it. Prepare for a fun journey!! :pipe:

I suppose starting with what you like in coffee is as good a place to start as any. As mentioned, though, many start off with a mild, Connecticut wrapper. As also mentioned, your idea of getting a sampler is a very good one. You'll want to try different things, anyhow, so you may as well get started. No matter what, go into to every cigar with no expectations. Be prepared to enjoy or dislike whatever you try. You never know what that will be.

I'll second Perdomo as a good brand to look at for good value, and there are many selections that won't break the bank. The aforementioned Tatuaje cigars are the same way. I don't think I've ever smoked a Perdomo that I didn't like. A nice habana wrapper is a tough thing to dislike, as well. My favorites are maduros from La Gloria Cubana, but maduros aren't for everyone (not that LGC doesn't make other great cigars). La Flor Dominica also is a good brand with decent value, as are Punch, CAO, H. Upmann, and many others. The pleasant truth is that there are quite a few very good cigar labels out there that won't reach down your gullet for your wallet. On the flip side, the unpleasant truth is that cigars are an expensive hobby just about any way you want to go about it.

Really, unless you derive pleasure from spending a lot of money, there isn't much reason to spend a lot of money on a single cigar (at least, not very often :w00t:). If you are spending more than $15 on a single stick, you really ought to ask yourself what you're buying (and you may want to lower that to $10 as you find what you like).

No matter what, don't ever rush your smoke. Nice, easy, fairly slow draws are the way to go. Any cigar will get harsh and nasty if you puff to hard on it. Savor your puffs. Enjoy!

I'm smoking a tauaje nuellos right now. First time smoking one. It's a good cigar. I saw a review of it on the Drjoe show

Buy samplers and join one of the cigar forums. Keep notes and determine which cigars you like and why. Your taste are going to get very sophisticated and will change over time.

La Aroma de Cuba is a relatively affordable cigar, medium strength, nice semi-sweet chocolate notes. The line was recently reintroduced with various iterations, but the cheapest one (just called "La Aroma de Cuba") in the robusto size is my personal benchmark cigar.

I also used to like CAO Criollo, but I haven't seen those in quite some time. If you want to go more expensive, I've also thoroughly enjoyed Ashton Heritage Puro Sol in the Churchill size.

For cheap, short(er) smokes, try Parodi Kings. They're dry-cured cigars made in Pennsylvania, and they're actually pretty good for the money.

Top Bottom