What's new

Chubby Chasers

I hate to play favorites, but the Chubby 1 has been my most used size of the series. Simpson’s has been kind to the Chubby 1 lately. A Faux Tortoise Chubby 1 Super is on the way. :)
I may be looking to add a CH1 at some point next year, but I so love my CH2 in Best
full

Which one is your favourite? Given what Simpson is trying to achieve, In your opinion does the synth feel like a Badger?

Sorry, I overlooked your question and just saw it now. This may not be the best answer since it's hard to describe such subjective things, but I'll give it a shot.

Other than the handle, the Chubby synthetic really doesnt have much in common with the badger version. Even though the Chubby synthetic is by far my favorite synthetic, I've never thought that it seems much like any badger brush that I've used. Comparing the two, the synthetic has a much smaller feel on your face and has a more springy feeling in the knot. Both are great, but different.

I imagine the Chubby in Best Badger feels quite a bit different than my Two Band Silvertip based on my experience with other Simpson Best Badger brushes and the synthetic would not feel like either of them. I can't speak to Simpson's Manchurian since I've never used one.

Sorry, I overlooked your question and just saw it now. This may not be the best answer since it's hard to describe such subjective things, but I'll give it a shot.

Other than the handle, the Chubby synthetic really doesnt have much in common with the badger version. Even though the Chubby synthetic is by far my favorite synthetic, I've never thought that it seems much like any badger brush that I've used. Comparing the two, the synthetic has a much smaller feel on your face and has a more springy feeling in the knot. Both are great, but different.

I imagine the Chubby in Best Badger feels quite a bit different than my Two Band Silvertip based on my experience with other Simpson Best Badger brushes and the synthetic would not feel like either of them. I can't speak to Simpson's Manchurian since I've never used one.
Thank you for making the time to answer!
I have the X3 Commodore. It feels nice but for me it is far too floppy. My Ch2 has been used 75 times. Initially I wasn’t sure why to make of it but after about 20 shaves it so , it really came into its own. It’s a favourite!

Thank you for making the time to answer!
I have the X3 Commodore. It feels nice but for me it is far too floppy. My Ch2 has been used 75 times. Initially I wasn’t sure why to make of it but after about 20 shaves it so , it really came into its own. It’s a favourite!

My Chubby synthetic was the same way in that there was a break in period, then it got noticeably better.

Yesterday I got to thinking about my response in comparing the Chubby synthetic to by Chubby badger and it got me wondering about the Simpson Duke 3 since I have both versions of that, too. For this mornings shave I decided to do a side-by-side comparison between between the Duke 3 Platinum Synthetic verses the Duke 3 Two Band Silvertip Badger. It turns out that the two Dukes are much closer than I thought they would be. The synthetic has a bit more backbone and the fibers have more spring to them, but unlike the Chubby comparison, the Dukes are much closer in size when the badger is at full bloom, which makes for a more apples-to-apples test since they feel about the same size on your face. Overall, the Two Band Silvertip has a noticably softer feel on the face and feels like pure luxury in every way that it performs. The synthetic certainly feels luxurious, but for me it's just missing the small subjective differences that elevate the the Two Band Silvertip to the next level.

BTW, the Chubby 2 Platinum is still my favorite synthetic, but the above comparison gives me a renewed appreciation for the Duke Platinum synthetic.

This was my set up today. Really enjoy this Chubby 1. I am now on the hunt for a platinum chubby 3 to round out my set. Interesting to me that this one says “platinum fibre” instead of “synthetic fibre” . . .

IMG_5048.jpeg

This was my set up today. Really enjoy this Chubby 1. I am now on the hunt for a platinum chubby 3 to round out my set. Interesting to me that this one says “platinum fibre” instead of “synthetic fibre” . . .

View attachment 1806360
I think they started differentiating when they introduced Sovereign fiber. What had been the only synthetic is now platinum iirc.

Top Bottom