What's new

Choosing a new pipe

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I have a question similar to buying a first razor, first brush, first fountain pen, etc... All of the options are overwhelming! How do I choose? To better explain, I do own and have used a few pipes, but I'm looking to buy my first pipe of deliberate choice. I really had my sights set on the 2012 B&B LE that was in the BST, but that was spoken for before I could commit myself to such an investment. So, now I'm on the search for a nice pipe that might find a good spot in my meek rotation. I'm willing to spend as much as $120, but I could a little higher if the pipe is truly worth it.

I've learned about what to look for in a pipe, and I'm not curious about that. I'm wondering that with all of the pipes available for sale online, how do you pick your pipes?

What do you look for? Do you choose, design first, price second, brand third; or, price first, brand second, design third; or, all of the possibilities up, around, in-between?

I'm wondering that with all of the pipes available for sale online, how do you pick your pipes?

What do you look for? Do you choose, design first, price second, brand third; or, price first, brand second, design third; or, all of the possibilities up, around, in-between?
Overall looks are first. If it doesn't speak to me, then it's no sale.

Brand is second as it is useful in determining the expected quality level (and price range). It doesn't mean I'll like it though.

Cost is last for me. Either I can afford it, or just bookmark it and visit it.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Well now, I guess that I was too excited about buying a new pipe to even think about how to spell correctly!

Good advice here already.

I pick pipes that look right to me. I know what I like, and if a pipe meets those criteria, and I can see myself smoking it, I will bookmark it and come back to it another day. If it's still calling me, I will pull out the wallet. I've missed out on a few this way, but it's cut way down on me buying pipes that I end up not smoking.

Yeah. Looks comes first, then brand. If it passes both of those, price can be a disqualifier (although not often enough, I'm afraid :blushing:).

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Buying a first pipe (or a first good pipe) is tough, and there is lots of good advice here. I'm going to expand on some of it.

SHAPE - Ideally, go to a pipe shop for your purchase, or at least for browsing. You want to look at pipes, hold pipes, and closely examine them. Start with shape. What shape looks pleasing to your eye? What are you drawn to? Something more traditional and classy like a straight billiard? Something more organic like a danish freehand? What looks good to you? Then, hold some of them. What feels good in your hand? Do you like the wood grain of a smooth pipe and the feeling of that in your hand? Do you prefer seeing the wood pattern in a sandblasted pipe, or perhaps the grip and character of a rusticated pipe? There's no right answer here. This is all about what floats your boat and what says "pipe" to you. Be aware that your tastes will probably change throughout your pipe journey and you may end up liking styles/shapes/finishes of pipes you didn't like before, so I would probably avoid spending tons of money on your first "nice" pipe.

Another consideration of shape is straight or bent (and the numerous variations of how deeply bent). I have pipes of all "bendiness" and many pipers do too. The thing to think about is how you will hold your pipe. Straight pipes tend to be made very very well because they are simple to drill. Hold the pipe up to your face where it will rest when it's in your mouth (but don't put it in your mouth!). Think about where the bowl will be. With a straight pipe, the bowl will be right in front of your mouth, but also consider how far away from your face the bowl will be. The longer the pipe, the further away and the less smoke you may get in your eyes/nose, but, the longer the pipe, the weight of the bowl will be further away from your mouth and it may be less comfortable to clench (hold in your mouth). Generally, bent pipes tend to put the weight lower and closer to your face, and are thus easier to clench. However, some bent pipes can smoke a little wet and you may have difficulty passing a pipe cleaner, because the drilling is sometimes more complicated. I find all of my eighth-bent and quarter-bent pipes and most of my half-bent pipes pass cleaners well, so I wouldn't worry too much about pipe mechanics at this point. The main point with shape is to think about where the pipe will be in relation to your face and to think about the balance point of the pipe if you're going to be clenching it.

SIZE/WEIGHT - Next, think about how big of a pipe you want. Size translates in part to how long it will smoke, but you can always load half bowls if you want a shorter smoke, or you can load back-to-back bowls if you want a longer smoke. Unless you have a strong preference or know what your smoking habits will be (e.g. you will only or usually smoke this on your 15 minute break at work), probably get something "medium" sized to start out. People often refer to Dunhill sizing when talking about pipe capacity, and a Group 4 size is a "medium" in the US (interestingly, the trend in the US is toward Group 5 (larger) as the new medium and in the UK and Europe, Group 3 (smaller) is the most popular size). Think also about weight, in relation to where the pipe will hang. A heavy straight pipe will be harder to clench than a bent pipe of the same weight (well, balance plays role so this is a bit of an over generalization, but it hold true mostly). A heavier pipe may also have thicker walls and thus may smoke a little cooler and be a little more impervious to burnout, which can be important if this is your first pipe or first nice pipe. I would just stay away from extremes at either end of the size and weight spectrum, and you'll probably be fine.

Another aspect of size that's important is bowl dimensions. The biggest one I think about is the internal diameter of the bowl (diameter of the tobacco chamber). For your first pipe, don't worry to much about this, other than to get something "normal." It's kind of like straights--people may find they like 8/8 choppers, but most people don't recommend starting with one of those and instead recommend a 5/8 or 6/8. Similarly, I'd recommend that you get a pipe with a bowl diameter of 3/4", 13/16", or even 7/8". That will cover 90% or more of pipes out there. Basically, this one is a "don't stress about it" item--just stay away from pipes that you can drop a quarter in, pipes that are super narrow, or pipes that are super tall.

PRICE - You can spend $5 on a good pipe, and you can spend several thousand. Price has a lot to do with aesthetics and craftsmanship, and only a little to do with smokability. I'm over-simplifying of course, but it's basically true. As you progress into pipe madness you'll spend lots of time obsessing about which maker's "engineering" is spot on for your technique, or whether to open your draw to 4.2 or 4.5, but don't worry about any of that for now. In a retail setting, here's what you get for your $: $5-$10 - Missouri Meerschaum corn cob; $10-$30 - basket pipe (no name or off brand pipe, usually in a basket, with cosmetic problems and fills but will probably smoke just fine); up to $60 - "branded" pipes with brands you haven't heard of, these are usually decent smokers and may be "seconds" of other better known brands; $60-$120 - lots of choices of major brands with good reputations; above that - artisan makers, smaller shops, silver and gold adornment, etc.

Now I'd be remiss if I didn't say something about the "estate" market. Estate is a euphemism for used. Yes, a used pipe. Cleaning pipes up is a fun part of the hobby, doesn't take much investment in materials or tools, and is easy to learn the basics. I have bought many many many estate pipes and these are a sound investment--you typically get a much more expensive pipe for significantly less $. For example, I've bought new Tinsky pipes for $180 to $350, and I've bought estate Tinsky pipes for $75 to $125. Sometimes these have been barely smoked, or have even been refurbished and cleaned already. If you would consider an estate pipe but don't want to clean one up yourself, consider the estate pipes at smokingpipes.com, as those come clean and ready to smoke. Also consider ebay seller great-estate-pipes - Chance is that seller, he's a good guy, and the pipes he sells are clean and ready to go. Some of the other big ebay sellers like Pipestud sell great pipes but sell them "as is", which is uncleaned, which make them good deals if you're willing to clean them yourself. Also check out the BST here. I have bought several pipes from other B&B members and they've all sold pipes for great prices--to a member, everyone here would rather put under-used pipes into the hands of smokers who will appreciate them rather than sell them to make a profit--that's what other sites are for; the BST is for "rehoming" pipes.

BRAND - If you're at the pipe store and looking at pipes, here's some brands I'd recommend in the $120 and under price range: Stanwell, Brebbia, Neerup, Savinelli, Nording, Chacom, Butz Choquin, Big Ben, Hardcastle, Parker, Ropp, Tsuge, Winslow (some of their Crown pipes are in your price) BriarWorks, and Moonshine Pipes. I didn't say Peterson. Some people would include them, but I've seen too many problems with Peterson pipes over the past decade to recommend them to someone with an untrained eye. They sometimes have drilling irregularities and some have stain inside the bowl (a big no no to me), so I personally would stay away from Peterson pipes until you know what you're looking for. All of the other brands I've listed have pipes in your price range and most shops will have all or some of those.

FILTERS/STINGERS - One final consideration is whether the pipe uses filters or has a stinger. Filters are either 6mm or 9mm size and fit between the stem and the bowl. Some folks like them, some don't. I personally would recommend not getting a filter pipe for your first nice pipe, but YMMV and just be aware of this. If your pipe does take filters, there are many brands/styles to experiment with to find one you like and even adapters to smoke without the filters (or even smoke without a filter or adapter). The reason I don't like filters is because they can make you draw harder than without a filter which can make you develop bad habits as a big puffer early on. Filters also dull the flavor a little. Lastly, filters prevent you from passing a cleaner down the stem into the shank while you're smoking. I like to do this if it starts to gurgle or smoke a little wet and I think it's a good part of the learning process to be able to do this.

Stingers are metal inserts that are in the stem and go into the shank. These typically restrict airflow, and the idea is that they limit the amount of moisture that can come up the stem into your mouth and thus give you a "drier" smoke. These too have their fans and detractors, and I would recommend that you do not get a stinger pipe for your first pipe, or that you make sure you have the option of removing it. Many stingers just pull straight out of the stem and can be removed or reinserted without issue.

FINAL CONSIDERATIONS - All of the brands I've listed should be reliably well made
. However, you'll want to check a couple of things before you buy the pipe you've selected. Pass a pipe cleaner down the stem and into the bowl until you can see it peak into the bowl. It it's difficult or doesn't go all the way, try fiddling with the cleaner to get it to go. This may be more of an issue in bent pipes; a straight pipe should never have any issue passing a cleaner. I would stay away from a pipe that you couldn't get the cleaner to pass all the way, but it's OK if it takes a little fiddling to get it to pass. Also, check the drilling--it should be at the center of the bowl left-to-right, and the hole should be right at the bottom of the bowl.

A word about advice - you will find lots of different opinions online. Some will agree with me, some will disagree. It can be challenging to filter through all of the advice, and some of it is presented in pretty absolute terms--"do it this way only!" My thoughts above are just a guide and my collected wisdom from 20 years of pipe smoking. Use it, discard it, as you see fit. Seek out pipe buddies or a local pipe shop or pipe club where you can talk to older guys, see a lot of stuff, smoke different blends, and learn. This is a good community on B&B and is nicer than a lot of the pipe forums, so fire away with your questions here. Always be willing to discard advice and do what works for you. Make your own mistakes, buy your pipes, and enjoy your smoke.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
@Price, thanks, for your input and amending the title (I was a bit tipsy when I made the post, and felt like a buffoon after I discovered the spelling error).
@Hirsute, thanks, for such a comprehensive breakdown! If the situation that you discussed in your PM doesn't work out, then I feel like I'll have a lot more confidence in searching for and selecting a pipe. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
IMO, the best pipe to start out with is a plain ol' corncob pipe.

WHY ?

A corncob is a very forgiving pipe that will let you taste the tobacco you are smoking at the time since a corncob will not "ghost" flavors on you. Cheap enough to learn how to handle, store,carry,etc. a pipe. Can be smoked over and over with no rest. Cheap to buy.

In other words........Corncobs make great learning pipes or great throw away work pipes.

Like the others my pipes have to call me. I know it when I see it. It doesn't hurt to go to a pipe shop hold some in your hands and see what shapes feel good in them.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
At this stage in the game, I prefer briar. But, at this stage in the game, I haven't experienced a Meerschaum, so I guess I'm open to anything.

Meerschaum smokes cooler, and has a more neutral taste. The down side is that, if you drop one then it's over. If you are an indoor smoker this isn't a problem. If you walk out to the garage clinching your pipe, then open the garage door to find a possum about a foot from you and get startled- well, your night just got very crappy.'

Attachments

• $owenisanidiot.jpg
    $owenisanidiot.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 184

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
IMO, the best pipe to start out with is a plain ol' corncob pipe.

WHY ?

A corncob is a very forgiving pipe that will let you taste the tobacco you are smoking at the time since a corncob will not "ghost" flavors on you. Cheap enough to learn how to handle, store,carry,etc. a pipe. Can be smoked over and over with no rest. Cheap to buy.

In other words........Corncobs make great learning pipes or great throw away work pipes.

Thanks, for the advice. I do have a cob, and I use it mainly for aromatics. I also have a MM corncob on the list with the next order that I make from Smokingpipes or P&C.

Like the others my pipes have to call me. I know it when I see it. It doesn't hurt to go to a pipe shop hold some in your hands and see what shapes feel good in them.

Thanks, Patrick. I do have a local pipe shop where I can hold and feel a few of the "big name" pipe makers. Their prices are almost double that of what I can get them for through online retailers, though.

I hope those fountain pens are working out alright for you! :tongue_sm

Meerschaum smokes cooler, and has a more neutral taste. The down side is that, if you drop one then it's over. If you are an indoor smoker this isn't a problem. If you walk out to the garage clinching your pipe, then open the garage door to find a possum about a foot from you and get startled- well, your night just got very crappy.'

That's a super bummer, Owen. It looks like such a clean break that you might be able to superglue it back together. Either way, I'll try to keep that in mind when clenching any of my pipes, as I'm a strictly outdoors smoker.

*Note to self, if you see a possum at your feet, think about your pipe first, possum second.

I have a few Mr. Brog pipes that can be found all day long on eBay and Amazon and they're a deal, to boot! Very handsome looking pipes that perform extremely well. I would suggest looking at them if you're not looking to break the bank.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Hirsute gave an outstanding compendium of advice and I could only add that in selecting a style of pipe, consider how you'll smoke it, what will you be doing while you smoke it. Will you be walking around with it clenched and doing other things while you smoke, or sitting on the porch, writing at a desk or reading a good book in a favorite stuffed chair indoors? Obviously some styles are better held in the hand between puffs while sitting, such as those with longer stems, while shorter and/or bent stems are better for clinching so as to leave the hands free for other tasks.

Claudel, the advice offered above is all good. One more piece I'd add ( as a seller of pipes ) is to talk with the seller directly. Get their input on the pipe that interests you. Ask about the draw, if it passes a cleaner, how the balance is. If you're looking at pre smoked pipes, ask IF they can tell what was smoked in prior. If they ask how to figure that out, go to a different vendor. If they say it has no aroma that stands out, it usually means it's been cleaned well, or the previous owner smoked light blends. Also ask their return policy. If you select a pipe and it arrives and just doesn't feel right etc, find out if they'll take it back and what the cost ( other than return shipping ) will be. The goal is go get quality smoking pipes, not dust collectors.
Regards
Michael J. Glukler

Buying a first pipe (or a first good pipe) is tough, and there is lots of good advice here. I'm going to expand on some of it.

SHAPE - Ideally, go to a pipe shop for your purchase, or at least for browsing. You want to look at pipes, hold pipes, and closely examine them. Start with shape. What shape looks pleasing to your eye? What are you drawn to? Something more traditional and classy like a straight billiard? Something more organic like a danish freehand? What looks good to you? Then, hold some of them. What feels good in your hand? Do you like the wood grain of a smooth pipe and the feeling of that in your hand? Do you prefer seeing the wood pattern in a sandblasted pipe, or perhaps the grip and character of a rusticated pipe? There's no right answer here. This is all about what floats your boat and what says "pipe" to you. Be aware that your tastes will probably change throughout your pipe journey and you may end up liking styles/shapes/finishes of pipes you didn't like before, so I would probably avoid spending tons of money on your first "nice" pipe.

Another consideration of shape is straight or bent (and the numerous variations of how deeply bent). I have pipes of all "bendiness" and many pipers do too. The thing to think about is how you will hold your pipe. Straight pipes tend to be made very very well because they are simple to drill. Hold the pipe up to your face where it will rest when it's in your mouth (but don't put it in your mouth!). Think about where the bowl will be. With a straight pipe, the bowl will be right in front of your mouth, but also consider how far away from your face the bowl will be. The longer the pipe, the further away and the less smoke you may get in your eyes/nose, but, the longer the pipe, the weight of the bowl will be further away from your mouth and it may be less comfortable to clench (hold in your mouth). Generally, bent pipes tend to put the weight lower and closer to your face, and are thus easier to clench. However, some bent pipes can smoke a little wet and you may have difficulty passing a pipe cleaner, because the drilling is sometimes more complicated. I find all of my eighth-bent and quarter-bent pipes and most of my half-bent pipes pass cleaners well, so I wouldn't worry too much about pipe mechanics at this point. The main point with shape is to think about where the pipe will be in relation to your face and to think about the balance point of the pipe if you're going to be clenching it.

SIZE/WEIGHT - Next, think about how big of a pipe you want. Size translates in part to how long it will smoke, but you can always load half bowls if you want a shorter smoke, or you can load back-to-back bowls if you want a longer smoke. Unless you have a strong preference or know what your smoking habits will be (e.g. you will only or usually smoke this on your 15 minute break at work), probably get something "medium" sized to start out. People often refer to Dunhill sizing when talking about pipe capacity, and a Group 4 size is a "medium" in the US (interestingly, the trend in the US is toward Group 5 (larger) as the new medium and in the UK and Europe, Group 3 (smaller) is the most popular size). Think also about weight, in relation to where the pipe will hang. A heavy straight pipe will be harder to clench than a bent pipe of the same weight (well, balance plays role so this is a bit of an over generalization, but it hold true mostly). A heavier pipe may also have thicker walls and thus may smoke a little cooler and be a little more impervious to burnout, which can be important if this is your first pipe or first nice pipe. I would just stay away from extremes at either end of the size and weight spectrum, and you'll probably be fine.

Another aspect of size that's important is bowl dimensions. The biggest one I think about is the internal diameter of the bowl (diameter of the tobacco chamber). For your first pipe, don't worry to much about this, other than to get something "normal." It's kind of like straights--people may find they like 8/8 choppers, but most people don't recommend starting with one of those and instead recommend a 5/8 or 6/8. Similarly, I'd recommend that you get a pipe with a bowl diameter of 3/4", 13/16", or even 7/8". That will cover 90% or more of pipes out there. Basically, this one is a "don't stress about it" item--just stay away from pipes that you can drop a quarter in, pipes that are super narrow, or pipes that are super tall.

PRICE - You can spend $5 on a good pipe, and you can spend several thousand. Price has a lot to do with aesthetics and craftsmanship, and only a little to do with smokability. I'm over-simplifying of course, but it's basically true. As you progress into pipe madness you'll spend lots of time obsessing about which maker's "engineering" is spot on for your technique, or whether to open your draw to 4.2 or 4.5, but don't worry about any of that for now. In a retail setting, here's what you get for your $: $5-$10 - Missouri Meerschaum corn cob; $10-$30 - basket pipe (no name or off brand pipe, usually in a basket, with cosmetic problems and fills but will probably smoke just fine); up to $60 - "branded" pipes with brands you haven't heard of, these are usually decent smokers and may be "seconds" of other better known brands; $60-$120 - lots of choices of major brands with good reputations; above that - artisan makers, smaller shops, silver and gold adornment, etc.

Now I'd be remiss if I didn't say something about the "estate" market. Estate is a euphemism for used. Yes, a used pipe. Cleaning pipes up is a fun part of the hobby, doesn't take much investment in materials or tools, and is easy to learn the basics. I have bought many many many estate pipes and these are a sound investment--you typically get a much more expensive pipe for significantly less $. For example, I've bought new Tinsky pipes for $180 to $350, and I've bought estate Tinsky pipes for $75 to $125. Sometimes these have been barely smoked, or have even been refurbished and cleaned already. If you would consider an estate pipe but don't want to clean one up yourself, consider the estate pipes at smokingpipes.com, as those come clean and ready to smoke. Also consider ebay seller great-estate-pipes - Chance is that seller, he's a good guy, and the pipes he sells are clean and ready to go. Some of the other big ebay sellers like Pipestud sell great pipes but sell them "as is", which is uncleaned, which make them good deals if you're willing to clean them yourself. Also check out the BST here. I have bought several pipes from other B&B members and they've all sold pipes for great prices--to a member, everyone here would rather put under-used pipes into the hands of smokers who will appreciate them rather than sell them to make a profit--that's what other sites are for; the BST is for "rehoming" pipes.

BRAND - If you're at the pipe store and looking at pipes, here's some brands I'd recommend in the $120 and under price range: Stanwell, Brebbia, Neerup, Savinelli, Nording, Chacom, Butz Choquin, Big Ben, Hardcastle, Parker, Ropp, Tsuge, Winslow (some of their Crown pipes are in your price) BriarWorks, and Moonshine Pipes. I didn't say Peterson. Some people would include them, but I've seen too many problems with Peterson pipes over the past decade to recommend them to someone with an untrained eye. They sometimes have drilling irregularities and some have stain inside the bowl (a big no no to me), so I personally would stay away from Peterson pipes until you know what you're looking for. All of the other brands I've listed have pipes in your price range and most shops will have all or some of those.

FILTERS/STINGERS - One final consideration is whether the pipe uses filters or has a stinger. Filters are either 6mm or 9mm size and fit between the stem and the bowl. Some folks like them, some don't. I personally would recommend not getting a filter pipe for your first nice pipe, but YMMV and just be aware of this. If your pipe does take filters, there are many brands/styles to experiment with to find one you like and even adapters to smoke without the filters (or even smoke without a filter or adapter). The reason I don't like filters is because they can make you draw harder than without a filter which can make you develop bad habits as a big puffer early on. Filters also dull the flavor a little. Lastly, filters prevent you from passing a cleaner down the stem into the shank while you're smoking. I like to do this if it starts to gurgle or smoke a little wet and I think it's a good part of the learning process to be able to do this.

Stingers are metal inserts that are in the stem and go into the shank. These typically restrict airflow, and the idea is that they limit the amount of moisture that can come up the stem into your mouth and thus give you a "drier" smoke. These too have their fans and detractors, and I would recommend that you do not get a stinger pipe for your first pipe, or that you make sure you have the option of removing it. Many stingers just pull straight out of the stem and can be removed or reinserted without issue.

FINAL CONSIDERATIONS - All of the brands I've listed should be reliably well made
. However, you'll want to check a couple of things before you buy the pipe you've selected. Pass a pipe cleaner down the stem and into the bowl until you can see it peak into the bowl. It it's difficult or doesn't go all the way, try fiddling with the cleaner to get it to go. This may be more of an issue in bent pipes; a straight pipe should never have any issue passing a cleaner. I would stay away from a pipe that you couldn't get the cleaner to pass all the way, but it's OK if it takes a little fiddling to get it to pass. Also, check the drilling--it should be at the center of the bowl left-to-right, and the hole should be right at the bottom of the bowl.

A word about advice - you will find lots of different opinions online. Some will agree with me, some will disagree. It can be challenging to filter through all of the advice, and some of it is presented in pretty absolute terms--"do it this way only!" My thoughts above are just a guide and my collected wisdom from 20 years of pipe smoking. Use it, discard it, as you see fit. Seek out pipe buddies or a local pipe shop or pipe club where you can talk to older guys, see a lot of stuff, smoke different blends, and learn. This is a good community on B&B and is nicer than a lot of the pipe forums, so fire away with your questions here. Always be willing to discard advice and do what works for you. Make your own mistakes, buy your pipes, and enjoy your smoke.

Just saw what you were speaking about with the lack of quality control at Peterson's with my PSOI POY. Stain blotches, either a crack or extreme over rustication of the rim and a briar defect on the side of the bowl that not even rustication could hide.
Dissapointed to say the least!
Now, will they make it right?????

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Just saw what you were speaking about with the lack of quality control at Peterson's with my PSOI POY. Stain blotches, either a crack or extreme over rustication of the rim and a briar defect on the side of the bowl that not even rustication could hide.
Dissapointed to say the least!
Now, will they make it right?????

Oh no! That's a major bummer. I had hoped those would all be perfect because it was a small closely monitored project. I have one on he way as well and now I'm nervous! Email Glen--hopefully it'll be made right!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I have a few Mr. Brog pipes that can be found all day long on eBay and Amazon and they're a deal, to boot! Very handsome looking pipes that perform extremely well. I would suggest looking at them if you're not looking to break the bank.

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Hirsute gave an outstanding compendium of advice and I could only add that in selecting a style of pipe, consider how you'll smoke it, what will you be doing while you smoke it. Will you be walking around with it clenched and doing other things while you smoke, or sitting on the porch, writing at a desk or reading a good book in a favorite stuffed chair indoors? Obviously some styles are better held in the hand between puffs while sitting, such as those with longer stems, while shorter and/or bent stems are better for clinching so as to leave the hands free for other tasks.

Good point. Like with the other ADs that I've developed, I'm sure that I'll eventually have enough pipes to cover all of the situations or activities that I might be doing while having a puff.

Claudel, the advice offered above is all good. One more piece I'd add ( as a seller of pipes ) is to talk with the seller directly. Get their input on the pipe that interests you. Ask about the draw, if it passes a cleaner, how the balance is. If you're looking at pre smoked pipes, ask IF they can tell what was smoked in prior. If they ask how to figure that out, go to a different vendor. If they say it has no aroma that stands out, it usually means it's been cleaned well, or the previous owner smoked light blends. Also ask their return policy. If you select a pipe and it arrives and just doesn't feel right etc, find out if they'll take it back and what the cost ( other than return shipping ) will be. The goal is go get quality smoking pipes, not dust collectors.
Regards
Michael J. Glukler

Great advice. Thanks, Michael!

Oh no! That's a major bummer. I had hoped those would all be perfect because it was a small closely monitored project. I have one on he way as well and now I'm nervous! Email Glen--hopefully it'll be made right!

Well, all I can say is buy Peterson brand with confidence!!!!!
Sent email about my problem and new pipe is being made straight away!
Top notch customer service!!!!
Glen is a top notch guy!!

Top Bottom