What's new

choosing a blade

I've only tried k-mart's generic de blades and for me they are terrible as well as expensive. The only other blade I've tried is the American Personnas from Walmart and they are much better but I still get neck irritation. I don't feel it's my technique because I have watched mantic's videos and I apply no pressure on the razor. I've been shaving with a de razor for over a month now. Though I like the Walmart blades I think I still could get a better quality shave from a better blade. Now it leads me to my question...which sampler pack from westcoastshaving.com would you purchase? I hate to waste $13.75 on a sampler pack if those extra brands and blades are not necessary. I would much rather spend the minimum $5.50 (so that I can end up using the extra cash to invest in the actual blade that suits me from the sampler pack) unless you think it's better to buy the more expensive pack. I appreciate everyone's help. I need to find the right blade in order to get bbs shaves already! :) thanks, Nick

Check out some drug stores some of them have Wilkinsons, Gillettes and even Personnas if you can find them you can just buy a pack at a time until you find one that works.

Definitely check your local drugstore brands first. It is always nice to find something locally.

Personally, I find that I get the least irritation from Swedish Gillettes, or Feathers. I am not sure, but I believe that most of the West Coast Shaving samplers contain both of those.

I think it is fun to experiment with the large sampler packs. But if you are looking for value I think the smaller Economy sampler pack should be enough, as you will get to experiment with blades that can be bought in bulk for a good price. Personally I could not justify the added cost of the higher end blades which arguably give marginally better results, when I could find one of the cheaper blades that I liked well enough and change it more frequently. Which ever pack you purchase, keep an eye on the Dorco as they now have a 301 model which comes in a plastic container with a blade disposal slot, as compared to the 300 model which comes in a pasteboard box. The 301 may be better than the 300, I have not drawn any opinion myself.

If you are experiencing neck irritation, rather than looking at the blades I might also suspect your aftershave. I have never really had a problem with irritation, but based on my personal experience and other's postings, I believe you will find that using an alcohol based aftershave helps reduce your irritation after a few days. Using something like aqua velva or whatever scent you like best.

Try Derby, Swedish Gillettes, and Dorco ST301s. One pack each should cost around $7 plus shipping. All of these are good blades and should give you suitable variety for your test.

Just to echo some of the previous comments. I'm currently working through a sample pack. I think they're a good idea because you'll try a bunch of blades that you wouldn't have thought of before. That being said, a smaller blade sampler, 5 or 6 types is a good way to go. Sometimes with a large sampler you have so many to choose from, you can get lost! Another thing, if you're like me and you struggle with irritation on the neck, give an alcohol based moisturizing after shave a try. It also took a long time for me to really figure out what slow pace and no pressure really meant. I think I've finally got it and am experiencing less and less neck irritation each day. Good luck!

Agreed, a sampler pack from West Coast Shaving or Razor and Brush is a great idea. The Derby Extras are hard to beat, but I also like Feathers which have improved my shaving technique considerably. Also, be sure to read the blade reviews on this website. They helped me to make very good selections, and it will help you to select a good sampler pack.

You need to take the long view, get and work through a sampler pack and then decide what blades you like and want more of. Finding the blade right for you will ultimately save you money vs buying a large supply of a highly recommended blade that might not work well for you. Remember that the blade is a highly specific choice for each shaver as well as each razor. The blade that works great for me in my 38c might be a shrederiffic, bloody mess for you in your Tech.

Having a good sample supply of various blades is a good idea if you get and use multiple razors. Otherwise, find what works for your one razor in a sampler pack and then run with those.

Yeah getting a substantial sample pack is the key.

After 5 or 6 varieties, I found the iridium super the best however they are now impossible to get.

I moved on and now get great shaves from the dorcos.

And here is another question, as I said I am very happy with the dorcos but have a lot of other brands in my sample pack that I havent even opened. do people persevere through to the end or is there a time when you just say that this is the blade for me ?

JP

Try a Dollar General in your area and see if you can find their blades marked "Made in Israel" Those are nice shavers, the others are hit or miss.

Derby's are fine blades, and so far, I've had success with Wilkinson Swords which I can buy at the local drug or grocery store. Not too expensive, either.

Send me a PM and I will send you some of the sample pack I have left over that I am not using. I finally settled on Red Personna and Feathers. Not sure what I have but I will ship a variety to you.

Sending Red Personnas, Merkurs, Derby, Dorco and Crystal your way.

Top Bottom